Better Way To Start The Grow?

• Thread starter Munchiezzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Munchiezzz

Munchiezzz

I've seen so many ways to start a grow but I'm curious...

Is it better to start the grow in the final pot (3 or 5 gallon) by dropping the seed or germinated seed without having to transplant?

Or

Is it better to start in a solo cup or small pot and then transplant into a bigger container?

It seems like starting in a bigger container and not having to transplant would save stress on the plants. Is there any reason or benefit to starting off small and moving up?

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

you water the plants differently, depending on the size of the pot. if you have a small plant in a large pot, then recommended to water around the stem and the developing roots - while if the plant is in small pot, it's easier to just water the whole small pot. it's just easier to over-water (not in terms of watering frequency, but moisture level of the grow medium) when there is a small plant in a large pot.

i'm of the opinion, that growing in smaller pots, allows the plant to grow its roots (not to the point of root-bound, but starting to root bound), before transplanting/repotting into larger pots. do this repotting several times before its final pot. this repotting allows the roots to grow evenly.

of course, you can sow the seed or plant into the final pot from the very beginning.

Munchiezzz

Munchiezzz

you water the plants differently, depending on the size of the pot. if you have a small plant in a large pot, then recommended to water around the stem and the developing roots - while if the plant is in small pot, it's easier to just water the whole small pot. it's just easier to over-water (not in terms of watering frequency, but moisture level of the grow medium) when there is a small plant in a large pot.

i'm of the opinion, that growing in smaller pots, allows the plant to grow its roots (not to the point of root-bound, but starting to root bound), before transplanting/repotting into larger pots. do this repotting several times before its final pot. this repotting allows the roots to grow evenly.

of course, you can sow the seed or plant into the final pot from the very beginning.
That's kind of what I was looking for for an answer. The watering being different is kind of common sense I believe. But I didn't know if the transplanting helped the roots or made the plants stronger or something like that. Thank you very much.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

this is what i am trying to describe - today, i just repotted some clones, which took root in the smaller plastic pot, into 1-gallon fabric pots.

20200919 111844

see, how its getting root-bound, so its time to repot.

20200919 111850

root bound it may be getting to, the roots have grown evenly through this small pot. if the plant is grown in a large pot, then the watering needs to be evenly distributed so the roots can develop 'evenly' thru the grow medium.

this even root development is easier to water with the repotting method - thus the recommendation to start with smaller pots & repot as the plant gets larger.

yes, each time you repot, you put some stress on the plant - but its getting root-bound in the smaller pot, and it may take a short couple of days to recover from repot/transplanting, but the plant now has benefit of the larger pot, with a strong established compact root system. you'd have to stuff up badly to badly hurt the plants doing such repots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom