• hot water purge then vacuum purge

Votes: 66 40.7%
  • other

Votes: 28 17.3%

• Total voters
O

OldHead

@OldHead

Co-extracted fats & waxes will also effect final product stability. I prefer to winterize my extracts using ethanol and then vacuum purge to below 500ppm ethanol. Except for live resins, where I rely on solvent temps to reduce wax/fat pickup. Winterizing will absolutely lose terps. I find the increase in potency, and reduction in non-target molecules to be worth the loss. Your mileage will vary.

Thanks for the expanded information. I am a bit surprised to hear winterizing INCREASES potency, do you care to explain further? Also besides terps, what type of non-target molecules does winterizing remove?

Thanks

Cyclopath

Cyclopath

Thanks for the expanded information. I am a bit surprised to hear winterizing INCREASES potency, do you care to explain further? Also besides terps, what type of non-target molecules does winterizing remove?

Thanks

Co-extracted fats and waxes .... which are not soluble in cold ethanol. They're also not particularly soluble in cold butane, so many folks just chill their primary solvent instead of doing the second solvent winterization.

I've hit 92% THCA in a winterized BHO (== 80.7% THC). Non-winterized BHO's come in closer to 70% THC.

O

OldHead

I finally got the time/opportunity to do another small pressurized column run yesterday. I encountered a moisture problem I was hoping to find a remedy for.
It rained the previous day before the run, and the day of my run the ambient temp was 75F and the humidity was high likely 92%. we usually keep high humidity this time of the year. All my previous runs were done in colder weather with lower humidity.
My feed stock was 22G of very well dried flower. I noticed near the end of evaporation, before doing the vac purg, that there appeared to be water in the bowl. I used the corner of paper towels to wick all of the moisture out of the bowl that I could. I moved on to purging and flipping and saw plenty more water on the oil slick as purging progressed. I even saw condensation on the inside of the vac chamber lid. I ended up with 5.38g of pull and snap, and it works good but it crackles and spits a bunch I assume due to the moisture. Since I cannot control my high ambient humidity problem, what can be done to keep this from happening again? Can I use a desiccant or something in the vac chamber? And is there anything I can do to get the moisture out of my existing medicine? Is the answer a closed loop system? Thanks in advance for the help!

gateswood

gateswood

Bump. Some excellent questions here in a well laid out scenario. Since I'm about to start making some shatter in a 90°/90% environment, I have interest too.

OldHead, did your catch bowl ice up when you were releasing your butane mix?

D

De eh

Is there anything you can use to blast on to. I use PTFE in a pyrex then vac chambers but have problems getting it off with all different times and temps. Wondering if anyone has any methods to help

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I really wish this thread didnt exist and hope shit like this doesnt get the forums shut down.

Any of you who are considering blasting BHO better think long and hard before you do. Not only are you putting your own life in danger but if you have enough butane around you could be putting your neighbors lives at risk as well.

Aside from the extreme physical dangers, law enforcement doesnt fuck around when it comes to extraction labs. My friend got raided by local sheriff's and DEA agents when he brought a butane hash lab on his property. That was 3 years ago. Hes still doing time. And this is in Colorado where weed is legal. Butane Hash Extraction is ILLEGAL EVERYWHERE and is ONLY legal in certain states, with very expensive , highly controlled licenses. The building where a lab is located must be inspected by fire marshal and engineers (according to Colorado state law anyways).

Butane is extremely volatile. 1 brand new Bic Lighter is equivalent to 1/4 of a stick of dynamite. So keep that in mind next time you wheel a 20 gallon tank of butane into your garage.

Having personally seen the consequences of getting caught with an illegal BHO lab, I think anyone dumb enough to do this deserves what they get.

There are many, many other methods of extraction that are much safer. If done right can produce a product just as good as bho.

If ya'll still insist on doing this shit at least be fuckin careful and consider every possibility of a spark wherever you do it.

I'm sorry but this subject just pisses me off and I'm not down with sharing information about it freely on the I internet where any dumb ass can possibly create a bomb in their house or garage or wherever. During 2015-2016 year there were at least 6 major explosions reported on local news here in Colorado, from illegal BHO labs. I am sure there have been many many more since then.

PLEASE BE SAFE people! And if you dont think the DEA is watching this forum you're smoking better shit than I am.

Lofty Vision

Lofty Vision

Hello fellow farmers! I have been reading these forums for a couple years now, and they have taught me an immeasurable wealth of information in every possible part of cultivating/smoking/processing the marijuana plant, so i have to start off by just saying thank you to all the people on these forums. I have been on many, many MJ forums like gc, tc, etc, and i have to say this one seems to be filled with the most knowledgeable and helpful people that don't hesitate to help everyone out. Thanks for everything~

Ok, now that i've got that out of the way, I have a question for all you errl lovers. What is your preferred method of purging your BHO? i've watched countless videos and read waaayyy too many posts on the topic, but i can't seem to get a consistant, clear answer as to the best way to purge your BHO.

But i've narrowed it down to 3 techniques that seem to be used the most, and i've personally tried 2 of them many times (i'm going out to buy a mityvac today to try the 3rd) and i just want to see what this community thinks is the best method.

The first is the standard, HmK's amazing tutorial method, after the initial hot water bath purge, bring the dish inside and double boil it with a lid loosely covering it on about half heat on the stove, use a torch to pop big bubbles as long as they flame up when they pop, about 30 minutes-1hr of this for 1-2 grams of oil. The only question i have about this is, would it be safe at this point to put the double boil on a stove without a flameless heating element? or am i gonna blow myself up?

The second is another highly recommended method, which is to spread the bho evenly across the bottom of the dish and put the dish on a flameless heat source on low to medium heat for 4+ hours/overnight and check to see that the bubbles stop rising. I am just curious as to whether all the extra time is necessary, and i feel like this method destroys a lot of the terpenes.

The third is to first do an initial purge via the Hashmasta-Kut tutorial, then scrape your oil onto parchment paper, put it in vacuum chamber on some sort of low heat source to force viscosity, and get it to -25hg for about 10 minutes, re-pressurize and repeat. I'm going to buy a mityvac later today to try this one out.

if you have another method, please, post it! i'm all ears.
Hey I'm sorry I could be way behind the timeline on this thread, but I had a question regarding BHO if you could help. Ive done a couple runs now and am happy with my product but at the end I put it in a silicone container at 150 ish very briefly to make it "pretty." Although this time i left ut past pretty and forgot about it. It returned to a liquid form abd looks possibly a shade darker, Did i totally just ruin that run? Thank you for your time!

Top Bottom