Big dense nugs seeming very moist and smelling different when I pull them away from stalks?

• Thread starter Diretank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Diretank

Diretank

20210715_200811.jpg
20210721_095857.jpg
20210721_181025.jpg

My rh never hits over 45%, well ventilated, lots of fans, window for fresh air during the day (lights on) open whole room to vent from entire finished basement at night (no light leaks) I cant seem to get my soil under 7 and I am in week 8. Gonna do a small dealing with root bugs water today, just crawlers out my ports last time I watered, doesnt seem too bad. I had a problem getting my nutes and soil right but it wasnt so far out of whack that they wanted to die. I guess I'm just wondering if this weird smell is normal vs outside to air buds or should I be worrying about these inside buds smashed to the stalks getting moldy or mildewy? Lots of outdoor exp, first indoor grow. This is a Durban Poison I got from a dispo bud. Thanks in advance guys! P.s, last pic, the bud is like an 1/8 size bud when dried due to density... I pryed them away from the stalks where I could to get air flow but the top 9-12" of 16 branch tops are solid cola, not sure if I should do something else too, maybe in drying / curing also?..

Last edited:
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Are you afraid you have bud rot? I don't think you do.

Gently tug on every fan leaf sticking out of a cola. If the fan leaf pulls out easily, you have bud rot in there. If it doesn't pull out, you're fine.

These plants do not seem to have a big problem with the soil pH at 7. If this is an ongoing issue in future grows, you can add a SMALL AMOUNT of elemental sulfur to your soil mix, but you'd have to experiment with it. I'm not sure how small an amount.

BTW, those plants look like they have space in their grow for friends to join them and increase your yields.

Ponky

Ponky

If the buds are too big AND the plant is susceptible to bud rot then its a problem. But those look fine. And no tell tale small dead leaves. If the plant gets bud rot and grows big buds like that it's a problem. And you get rid of it. But that plant looks fine. When in doubt I give mine a squeeze and see if they're soft.

Diretank

Diretank

Inside of the bud material seems totally fine, leave stems are strong (they break before pulling out) and I've been implementing some home remedies for the ph bc they do seem a bit slowed as well as showing deficiency. Which could really be the bugs too bc I noticed them so I'm trying to do a balancing act to make it ~11 more days until at least 9 weeks. It's just the way they smelled differently when I pulled those huge compact buds away from the stalks to give some breath; maybe I'm reading too much into that?.. Also, I had 10 going, 1st week into flower the 8 clones my buddy gave me from a lemon cake plant all herm'd on me with great conditions. These two were seeds and going so well, without a single pollination, I just decided to finish. Currently waiting on a bug bomb, my tent, one more light and the rest of my hydro equip. Took this whole first grow to get a set up going that can handle perpetual crops. Definitely more than I thought. But please add any more advice bc I really dont want to lose this gorgeous girl to that crap at any stage being this close lol..

Last edited:
Ponky

Ponky

All you can do is a daily check. And if it's starts you wet trim. A UV flashlight can also reveal fungus. My theory is the genetics are either good or not. It's mostly up to the plant.

Diretank

Diretank

Yea, I got lucky and high jacked a strain from a dispo on a lucky pick that just happened to be a lady so, my thoughts were, they probably didnt have 100 terrible genetic DP's growing in their lab; if genetics is the case. And from the way that she grows, I can see why they were keeping her around. I'm watching, juggling and just trying to make it 1.5 weeks to get to 9, or at least that's what the strain says it takes. I was just off put by the smell, has anyone else grown durban poison and know the fresh grow aroma? It has that, like, tinge that gives you a sense of gas/old pee kind of does but a little different than the good way.. Idk, lol 🤷‍♂️

Ponky

Ponky

Yea, I got lucky and high jacked a strain from a dispo on a lucky pick that just happened to be a lady so, my thoughts were, they probably didnt have 100 terrible genetic DP's growing in their lab; if genetics is the case. And from the way that she grows, I can see why they were keeping her around. I'm watching, juggling and just trying to make it 1.5 weeks to get to 9, or at least that's what the strain says it takes. I was just off put by the smell, has anyone else grown durban poison and know the fresh grow aroma? It has that, like, tinge that gives you a sense of gas/old pee kind of does but a little different than the good way.. Idk, lol 🤷‍♂️
Durban poison takes so long to grow and the only people I know who even talk about it are 60 plus. It's a true legacy strain. And a strong cat piss smell, is good. I've heard around 14 weeks. I do want to try it. But can't dedicate to it.

Diretank

Diretank

Dang, 14 weeks? These things are so huge that I actually added ties to the ceiling for many of the tops today. They are 7.5 weeks in flower and online sources say that you should expect 8-9... However, msnl; never buying from again, had ANOTHER delay on my seeds so I may have the extra time to sustain bc I'm not cutting them down not done after this whole headache lol... So the consensus I feel like, seems, big, dense, moist interiors next to stalks wont neccesarily lead to mold? It's just freaking me out how much moisture it left on my fingers after checking them..

Ponky

Ponky

Dang, 14 weeks? These things are so huge that I actually added ties to the ceiling for many of the tops today. They are 7.5 weeks in flower and online sources say that you should expect 8-9... However, msnl; never buying from again, had ANOTHER delay on my seeds so I may have the extra time to sustain bc I'm not cutting them down not done after this whole headache lol... So the consensus I feel like, seems, big, dense, moist interiors next to stalks wont neccesarily lead to mold? It's just freaking me out how much moisture it left on my fingers after checking them..
Real Durban poison and the bred feminized version have very differber flowering. Those can be 9 weeks. The odds of being the south African landrace version of Durban Poison is low. It could just be a fast 9 week sativa. All you can do is blow air on them and wait.

growsince79

growsince79

View attachment 1148511View attachment 1148512View attachment 1148513

My rh never hits over 45%, well ventilated, lots of fans, window for fresh air during the day (lights on) open whole room to vent from entire finished basement at night (no light leaks) I cant seem to get my soil under 7 and I am in week 8. Gonna do a small dealing with root bugs water today, just crawlers out my ports last time I watered, doesnt seem too bad. I had a problem getting my nutes and soil right but it wasnt so far out of whack that they wanted to die. I guess I'm just wondering if this weird smell is normal vs outside to air buds or should I be worrying about these inside buds smashed to the stalks getting moldy or mildewy? Lots of outdoor exp, first indoor grow. This is a Durban Poison I got from a dispo bud. Thanks in advance guys! P.s, last pic, the bud is like an 1/8 size bud when dried due to density... I pryed them away from the stalks where I could to get air flow but the top 9-12" of 16 branch tops are solid cola, not sure if I should do something else too, maybe in drying / curing also?..
Nice plant. Big colas like that are more susceptible to rot than little buds- especially if they a very dense. Yours looks like a sativa leaning mold resistant variety. Hard to tell from the pics but they don't look rock solid so its probably ok. I'd be running fans 24-7. A hepa air filter might also help.

Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

View attachment 1148511View attachment 1148512View attachment 1148513

Is the odor kind of a yeasty smell?

Diretank

Diretank

No, I'm trying the best to describe, it's like a gassy kind of tinge that happens from smelling fuel but not the exact scent, kind of had a pee like smell but also it's just a different smell than the outside of the bud's producing is what was really bothering me but I may just be reading too far into it.

Diretank

Diretank

And growsince, they are extremely tight. I havent had anything like that outdoors ever so it's new territory growing such big, dense, donkey appendage like branches or seeing them be so moist to the touch when I separate them from stalk. Having that said, they look healthy and everything, no physical signs of rot.

Top Bottom