Big Jay's Cream Caramel Grow (first grow)

• Thread starter bigjay420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bigjay420

bigjay420

Greetings from the south land!!! I have recently taken up the most awesome "hobby" in the world... Growing cannabis. I've fallen in love with it for many reasons (besides "free" smoke)... But, the main reason is I get to see the fruits of my hard work every day. It definitely helps me appreciate the tlc that some one has put into the sweet (and, sometimes not so sweet...) chiba I've been smokin' for years! The wife loves it because it keeps me out of her hair... The neighbors love it because I spend much less time in my back yard acting a fool, and shooting guns. So, it's a win for EVERYONE!!! I came to this site to learn from the experience of others, so that i can become the best grower possible. Please, feel free to drop by and comment. I could use all the help I can get. =]

Now, for the goods. I started growing 5 Cream Caramel Autos from our friends at Sweet Seeds. Every seed germinated after 1 day in a paper towel. However, one seed didn't fall off, and ended up strangling one of my lovelies. I tried to remove it, and the stem snapped in half. So, I had to replace it with a Northern Lights X Big Bud Auto from World of Seeds. It germed in about 14 hours. All were planted in 1.5 gallon pots, filled with a 70/30 mix of Fox Farms Ocean Forest and perlite, placed under 300 Watts worth of fluorescent lights and watered once in the first 4 days. I also placed all pots on small milk crates for better airflow and drainage. The lights are on 24/7 right now, but I was wondering what would be best for flower... Thoughts? Between week 2-3, i'll move them to 600 Watts of MH, and then HPS for the flower. During flower, I'll be administering Fox Farms nutrients at 1/4 potency. Also, I need a proper vent system, but I can't cut holes in the closet, cuz the old lady might have my head on a stake. So, I'm worried about heat once the 600W gets installed. Suppose I'll figure out something...

1 Week:
Big jays cream caramel grow first growBig jays cream caramel grow first grow 2Big jays cream caramel grow first grow 3Big jays cream caramel grow first grow 4

13 Days:
Big jays cream caramel grow first grow 5Big jays cream caramel grow first grow 6Big jays cream caramel grow first grow 7Big jays cream caramel grow first grow 8

I'm a bit concerned about some leaves drooping. But, other than that, I feel everything is going good. That's about it, for now. Will keep you updated as I go. Thanks for stopping by, y'all!!!

S

Sweet Seeds

Hi bigjay!

All looking good, thanks for sharing it with us here ;)

24/0 is an option but I think 18/6 is better. Or at least 20/4

It's your decision any way. We'll be around to check out how they grow. Sweet smokes!

tommy

bigjay420

bigjay420

Thanks so much, Tommy! That means a LOT coming from you. I'm super nervous, but it seems to be going well at the moment, eh?

Was wanting to pick your brain a bit, if I could, sir... What do you think the best way to change light schedule is? Decrease an hour every day? Will it shock the girls if I switch the schedule all at once? Also, what can I do to avoid heat problems when I hook up the new lights? I can't cut any holes in the closet, so I'm out of ideas...

Marks370z

Marks370z

Hey man, how is it going?
I agree with sweet seeds regarding the 18/6 light schedule being the better option. It is in my experience, at least.

When I switch to 12/12 I gradually decrease over a span of about three or four days, reducing each by approx. two hours.

Venting outside provides optimal heat release, but reading how that is not an option for you gives me a few ideas. A swamp cooler might be of assistance for heat problems. I do not advise using a window a/c unit as a cooling apparatus. Are you going to be using an air-cooled hood?

Without proper vent holes you might have to run long lengths of ducting to another room or window leading outside, if heat gets that extreme. Keep in mind that with excessive amounts of ducting a larger CFM rated fan must be used to compensate for the airflow being reduced by the bends in the ducting.

-Mark

SeaLMeaT253

SeaLMeaT253

Hi bigjay420! Welcome to the farm:-) I also agree with the 18/6 schedule but if I read correctly you are running auto's? In that case those strains have a set lifespan and will flower on thier own regardless of thier light schedule, start to finish on most auto stains is somewhere around 50-60 days. I have nevr run any auto strains but will be in the near future. They are looking good, I hope all goes well.

bigjay420

bigjay420

@ mark- I don't have a cooled hood vent, unfortunately. But, I have 2 fans on the way as we speak to hook to some ducts. I was gonna do one to draw in fresh air, and one to push out heat. I'll re hang the closet door at maximum height, so the ducts shouldn't have to bend a whole lot. Hopefully that will solve the heat problem I'll have with 600W + multiple CFL's. After finding out if my first grow will work out (I'll prolly believe it when they start healthy flowering), I plan on moving the grow from the closet to the whole room for my 2nd time around. How do you think things look at this point? Normal?

@ sealmeat- Thanks so much, pal. Be sure to check back in for more updates, so you can throw in your (much appreciated) 2 cents. Cheers from the South, my friend!

bigjay420

bigjay420

@shawn- I need to get this ventilation going ASAP. Anything I can do til the fans arrive? Right now, the closet stays at 74- 76 degrees. But, after I put in the new lights (600W), I know it'll be roasting in there. And, forgive me if this question is dumb, cuz I'm new... But, what's RH?

bigjay420

bigjay420

@guy- Thanks, man! Any more advise you can give, I would definitely appreciate. It's good to have experienced guys like yourself to learn from. I'll update some pics of the closet when I tidy up a bit, so you'll know what I'm working with. Is there a specific meter used to check RH?

@shawn- I'm not sure about RH, as I have no means to check it. But, my next stop on the interwebz will be at google, where I will find out all I can about RH... How it affects my girls, how to check it, and how to maintain it. However, anything you can add here via links, or just experience, would really help me make an educated decision... Othatguy8 recommends a level of 50, or so... What would you recommend, so that I can compare answers from a few experienced growers? Thanks again, guys!

@ Tommy or Jayp- You guys have anything to add on the topic of RH?

ohthatguy8

ohthatguy8

There are many meters some are multi purpose. I have a dehumidifier that gives a digital read out. your humidity will vary depending on where your at geographically. The best is a brain that controls everything, lights, gas, temperature,& humidity but they are an investment.

bigjay420

bigjay420

@ guy- So, most likely I'll either need either a humidifier, or dehumidifier, depending on my geographical location? I assume it's pretty humid here on average, as I'm in the Old South of USA. I suppose I'll have to pick up an RH meter to find out, for sure. Thanks Again!!!

spacebomb

spacebomb

hey bro.welcome. ive ran the non auto reguluar cream caramels and loved it, its very tasty and potent to.you gonna need a decent air cooled hud,swawn is very correct.you. MUST have decent air extractor bro. its hard work and a farmers work IS ,NEVER DONE,:-) drop strait from 24,18.no need to reduce slowly.just go for it bro.and good luck.

DJXXPLATINUM

DJXXPLATINUM

what size is your space for flower...also what flouros are you using....i have two of the NL x BB autos goin also..getting ready to add a fan to the cool tube...depending on your space you can really increase yield goin vertical...you said 600's, so i would think you have at least a 4 x 4...toss those hoods and you will never look back....reaad up on it...worth a look..dj
SAM 0528

spacebomb

spacebomb

hey dj,i run a 600,in a 1.2,tent if i loose the hood your saying its better yeah bro? what difference have you noticed mate pls?
space
what size is your space for flower...also what flouros are you using....i have two of the NL x BB autos goin also..getting ready to add a fan to the cool tube...depending on your space you can really increase yield goin vertical...you said 600's, so i would think you have at least a 4 x 4...toss those hoods and you will never look back....reaad up on it...worth a look..djView attachment 318096

bigjay420

bigjay420

@ DJ- Those are some sweet looking ladies ya got there. Look happy and healthy, in my opinion (which isn't worth much). I'm not sure about the brand of lights. They were bought used from a local hydro shop, and I put in new bulbs. I know there's 4 of them @ 75W a piece. Each plant has 2 lights hanging about 2 inches away from it. Color spectrum is 4200K. 1,500 lumens per light. New lights are on the way right now. When they get here, I plan on putting the plants outside for couple hours, so I can redo the closet with some new equipment I've picked up. I plan on making it a little more fit to suit my needs, now that I am finding out what's practical, and what's not. Do you think being outside a few hours will harm them at all?
The closet is 4X4. Good guess... lol I'm about to start reading up on "going vertical", so I'll let you know what's up with that, as well as update you with a message when I take pics of the new setup. Thanks for the tips. Cheers from the South!!!

@ space- Thanks man!!! I really appreciate your helpful advise. I hope all the gals make it to harvest, so I can share a sweet smoke report with you. Stay tuned and lemme know your opinions as I go along.

spacebomb

spacebomb

hey b.j, nice start bro.how many 600,s you gonna put up bro?. u need a air cooled hood.not expensive at all.if your constantly fighting heat yolur buds will weigh less.a ton less and ya buds wont be big nice tight fuckers .youll allways get loose fluffy gear.sounds like its keeping them. neighbours a happy anyway if your not shooting ya gun of eh.haha:-)

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

@ DJ- Those are some sweet looking ladies ya got there. Look happy and healthy, in my opinion (which isn't worth much). I'm not sure about the brand of lights. They were bought used from a local hydro shop, and I put in new bulbs. I know there's 4 of them @ 75W a piece. Each plant has 2 lights hanging about 2 inches away from it. Color spectrum is 4200K. 1,500 lumens per light. New lights are on the way right now. When they get here, I plan on putting the plants outside for couple hours, so I can redo the closet with some new equipment I've picked up. I plan on making it a little more fit to suit my needs, now that I am finding out what's practical, and what's not. Do you think being outside a few hours will harm them at all?
The closet is 4X4. Good guess... lol I'm about to start reading up on "going vertical", so I'll let you know what's up with that, as well as update you with a message when I take pics of the new setup. Thanks for the tips. Cheers from the South!!!

@ space- Thanks man!!! I really appreciate your helpful advise. I hope all the gals make it to harvest, so I can share a sweet smoke report with you. Stay tuned and lemme know your opinions as I go along.

i would not put an inside plant outside for fear of bugs .

Top Bottom