Big Pots, Little pots HELP

• Thread starter anthony6969
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

anthony6969

This is my first grow i am just about to germinate some seeds and was wondering what is the best way to plant them first should i plant into a relitively small pot first and then into a 4 litre pot later on or could i just plant them straight into a 4 litre pot. will this make any diffrenct to the performance of the plant

B

BITYmagicBeanz

This is my first grow i am just about to germinate some seeds and was wondering what is the best way to plant them first should i plant into a relitively small pot first and then into a 4 litre pot later on or could i just plant them straight into a 4 litre pot. will this make any diffrenct to the performance of the plant

u cool man... get a small dish, and layer it with a few layers of tissue.. then soak it in water. leaving a small. puddle. sit the seeds on top of the tissue for a few days.. then either plant them into jiffy pellets.. or rockwool cubes... then into a small pot then let the roots build up. and re plant them into a next size pot. take your time dont rush stages.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
This depends on a couple of factors. What strain(s) and are you growing the seeds out for flowering or to make moms and clone?

A

anthony6969

the strain is nivarna ak 48 and i am growing in organic compost with organic nutes and am growin to flower then maybee after flowering put the plant back into veg and clone the plant with the best yield, what are ur opinions

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Headroom and lamp size determine some of this for you.

If you have 6-7 feet of headroom and a 1000 watt lamp, veg them for a while, starting in small pots and stepping up in pot size every time they become root bound until they're big and ready to flower. If you have a 400 or less and limited headroom (3-5 feet) try something like this:

Start in a small pots, 3-4 inches wide and deep, and veg them under 18-20 hrs of light until they're 8-10 inches tall. If you're using fluoros for veg (easiest, cheapest) keep them less than six inches away from the plant tops to keep the leaf sets close and the plant more compact and controllable. Once they get to 8-10 inches transplant them to 2 gallon pots and flower.

Read up on the strain and find out what others have experienced for flowering stretch. If they tend to be more of a sativa you may want to induce flowering at 4-6 inches.

Good luck and post the grow's progress if you can.

S

Swiffy80

I always put em straight into a small yogurt pot or something similar (cut down a drinks bottle 500ml) straight into the soil just make a small hole with a pencil i mean small about 5-10mm deep put the baby in and cover it. Then place this on your windowcill KEEP THE SOIL MOIST in about 3 days it will have broke the surface.
The seed case may well be still on, dont be tempted to pull it off just spray it with a 'mister' or wat ever there called! this will soften the case and by morning it will have shed the shell by this stage but if not it may need a little help by all means coxe it off but be very gentle and treat them like a baby, During your grow watch everything Always treat it like a baby obsereving every day you will learn fast hopefully.

After the 'cress leaves are out' Then get it under your light wat lighting are you starting with?
A normal energy saveing bulb would be best as it is hard to scorch those delicate seedlings.

Get a smaller pot before you go straight into the 4 litre. Let the soil dry out a little and then gently press the egdes of the yogurt pot, hold the pot with the baby inbetween your index finger and middle and invert the pot and gently tap out, the dryer the soil the easyer this is..
Then put in your second pot and bury it right upto the first node or set of 3 fingered leaf, the steam under the soil will root in time. This stops em going too tall.

then place em under your light making sure not to get em too close but to far and you will get strech between the nodes which anit to desirable... use the back of hand test if you can handle how close it is then a seedling deffantly wont...

Im doing an AK cross and im a few days ahead of you mate ill charge some batterys for my cam tonight and sort you some pictures tomorrow step by step no worries ive got a small one nearly finshed so it will give you something to look foward to as im sure youll blow mine away i fucked up a lilttle but thats a diffrent story!! Best of luck mate it will be interesting to compare hey? got a camera?

G

Guano

A good rule of thumb is 12" of height/per gallon and to double the size of your existing pot on transplanting. Other factors involved in determining pot size are your grow room footprint size, the amount/intensity of light plants receive, where plants are in the grow cycle and if the are from seed or clones.

One technique that works well in repotting is to have an empty pot the same size as the one the plant to be repotted is in. Fill new planters up with slightly moistened new soil, insert empty pot and pack new soil around it. Now gently lift out empty pot and place root ball into new soil and water.

A

anthony6969

thanx guys the help is much appreciated,am growin in a 1m 1m 2m high grow tent with a 250 watt hps for flowering and 2 125 watt for veg if i can get these babys to germ thats the hardest part for me,am only growin 4 plants from seed at a time so i think this would be sufficient, load them pix up swiffy an we can look at each others see how there doin an swap diffrent opinions

Top Bottom