Big Pots Vs Smaller Pots

• Thread starter shortnWide
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

shortnWide

Im new to the board and the forums in general. Lots of good info on the board. Seen this coco section and didn't find an answer to my question. Wanted to see peoples opinions:
I'm going to start running full coco soon and want to know if its better (when in full swing) to run smaller pots (2-3gal) watering 3-5 times a day or is it better or the same result to put in big pots (5gal) and water 1-2 times a day? I'm looking for the best end result. Thanks.

H

happy b

More root space = more/bigger buds. Small root space = SMALL PLANTS/BUDS/YEILD. And watering plants 2/3 times a day will COMPLETELY fuck up your plants . your roots need oxygen and drowning your medium without letting it dry out a bit between watering Is a recipe for disaster.

H

happy b

Sorry I just noticed you said 2/3 gallons which would be fine(it's what I use but not in coco.)

Quagmire

Quagmire

More root space = more/bigger buds. Small root space = SMALL PLANTS/BUDS/YEILD. And watering plants 2/3 times a day will COMPLETELY fuck up your plants . your roots need oxygen and drowning your medium without letting it dry out a bit between watering Is a recipe for disaster.
I think this statement says it all man.. late in flower I even dry stress them a few days then soak them really good, after that they go bonkers.
You should consider addding 20% perlite to your coco, that way it will drain better. Otherwise it will just be a mud puddle... :)
I grew with Coir for long time, and he's right, running pure Coco can be a headache.. add some perlite & peat along with worm castings. Finally the best advice I can give ya, use Espoma Plant Starter Plus along with all this. It adds all the fungi's to your mix to bring it alive as a good organic mix should be.. remember, feed the soil, not the plant.. luck bro

Quagmire

Quagmire

I tend to start mine in 1gal pots and allow them to get the small pot filled up with roots pretty good.. running a garden a bit warmer then most, 72-82f they dry out and get 1 cup daily.. growing Auto's right now works out perfect as they show sex in 14-20 days then females go into 3gal pots and don't waste time transplanting males. 3-5gal is really the minimum size you want to use, although I've seen trees in 2gal pots too.. but these are usually expert growers who have things dialed in for years..

H

happy b

remember, feed the soil, not the plant.. luck bro
I love this wee saying and so true . although I didn't understand it at first as I didn't use amendments or bennies or anything . And although I thought I was completely organic I wasn't . I just thought I was coz I grew in soil and used organic nutes . lol . but over the years,starting useing bennies and amendments and feeding the bennies i started to understand the expression feed the soil not the plant a bit more . I'm hoping to move onto water only soil but it's hard getting all the amendments I need were i live . I have to get them all online and with delivery charges on most of the heavier items it all adds up . I end up just thinking "all that money and effort when you can just buy a bag of canna or BioBizz and get it delivered for £15 per 50 litre bag . maybe someone should start selling some of this "water only".soil . I would buy it if it was at a reasonable price . sorry I know it's nothing to do with pot size . lol.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

@shortnWide good question.

I am experimenting with pot size this round and downsizing based off of the results I've seen JackMayOffer achieve on InstaGram. He grows 10' plants in 3 gal smart pots irrigating with low volume/high frequency feedings, his plants are stellar and the buds are ANYTHING but small!

More root = More fruit is only relevant in Organic Gardening where a sizable Rhizosphere is needed to break down and uptake Organic fertilizer.

This round I downsized into plastic pots, fabric is much more ideal. Plastic pots will become root bound faster and need a drastic increase in PPMs to satisfy the root system, I am at week 3 and feeding, consistently, 1400 PPM.

Some of the information in here is false and does not apply to pure coco, a medium that is used in Commercial Ag to INCREASE drainage.

First, coco being an accelerated medium does not fall under the category of "feed your soil" because it is NOT soil, you do not pH it like soil and you certainly do not feed it like soil. Treat Coco the same you would in a hydroponic environment but slightly increase your Calcium and Magnesium. Once the Coco is 'charged' with Ca you will see growth that greatly exceeds any soil medium.

Second, someone mentioned soggy coco, that can easily be avoided with properly timed irrigation and with frequent waterings your root zone will receive more oxygen then you would by letting it dry out. Not to mention, you're not suppose to let pure coco dry out, it will completely throw off the nutrient ratios. For example, in my 3 gal plastic pots (2.6 liquid gallons) I run the 2GPH emitter for 3 minutes on 1 hour off. My plants stay moist but not wet, this is fine in coco because it is much more difficult to over-water.

Third, if you are interested in slowing your growth to that of soil then incorporate the organic fertilizers, like worm castings. Worm castings have no business in a hydroponic environment where your soul intention is to increase growth and production. I know in Commercial Ag small ratios of Peat are added to Coco mixes but I'm still not convinced. Peat drains slower, will compact and leave a crusty layer and it retains 20 times it weight in water. Only benefit I see Peat bringing to the table is it's ability to harbor Beneficial Bacteria.

Fourth, perlite. Perlite is only necessary when working with a larger pot then is actually necessary AND if you hand water or completely saturate your plant with each feeding. Why add a product to increase drainage when you can simply decrease your pot size and cost and have your plants dry quicker?

Lastly, if you can size your pot correctly and feed correctly you can fill your canopy just before they get root bound, then once root bound your plants will show flowers SUBSTANTIALLY faster and your vertical stretch will completely stop. This round I saw marble sized buds in 7 days.

S

shortnWide

This is more what I was talking about, thanks.
Coco handled like soil but really feed like hydro.

S

shortnWide

This is more what I was talking about, thanks.
Coco handled like soil but really feed like hydro.

Mr.X

Mr.X

I use 3gl.pots for my whole cycle with pure coco, watering once a day and have acheived great results. Its practically impossible to overwater in coco. Good luck.N keep on growin.

primordial

primordial

There's a documentary out there that studies the communication between roots and soil it's called "what plants talk about" I think justifies both sIdes of the argument. I use no less then 20 gallons root space per 1K and no more then 50 gallons rootspace per 1k. But remember nothing is absolute with ganja and root space is just on factor.

B

brimck325

there really is no argument, coco should be treated as hydro to reach its highest potential. greenleaf is spot on!

velocity

velocity

50 50 mix by volume of clay balls aka hydraton and coir. Clones when show nubs i put in 1.5 inch sq grodan cubes. Keep in clone dome until see roots coming out of the sides a couple inches,the tap root on bottom will be longer. Once see roots pushing great out of the cube goes in a 3 gallon smart pot. Just dig a hole for the cube plug it in.water the coir 10% run off right before plug in grodon cube.

I use heavy 16 nute line except root product. Feed a TEA of worm casting, sea green, fish hydroslate, add 2mil of Orca to 5 gallons of water brew 24 hours.1 brew i add kelp, next brew drop kelp use powder mollases. 1 feed of nutes next day use tea cut 50% with water.

Do keep ph in hydro range, do keep it the coir moist. If the plant first 2 weeks of veg dont water as a soak. Get the roots grown then fully water with volume. Do atleast achieve some run off. When young no roots can avoid run off with nutes and run off with the tea a small amount. Once roots dominate pot atleast 10% run off. If your plant starts showing a issue in flower increase your run off to 20%, coir doest hold nutes but salt can bind. If its been smooth get funky in flower your strain maybe salt sensative so just increase run off rate. Coir plant size is bit more essiantail than soil. Just be easy on water first 7 to 12 days roughly,keep it wet but on dry side so roots shoot out looking for wetter areas. Dont give it gallon of water, it may just need a pint or 2.

Coir doesnt need larger pot size like peat base.3 gallon smart pot grow a 3 footer if heavy yeilder hybrid 3 or 4 oz no c02 very possible without dialed in on that strain.

Air in root system is key. smart pots best pot to increase air, using hydraton and coir ( chow mix) just increases air to the roots. Breathable fabric and chow mix is like cookies and milk combo for coir, it works so well together.

Not saying this is best method but how I have ran in coir.

SpitXFire

SpitXFire

^^Sound advice here, I've gotten 3 oz plant from a half gallon of coco with perlite at the bottom for drainage, watered 5x a day low ppm feed about 1.2 max ec in heavy flowering.. About to rock 2 gal fabric pots, 3x a day..

Top Bottom