Big Problems in Little China - Over watering symptoms - Or is it over nuted?

• Thread starter Milarepa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Milarepa

Milarepa

1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Clone
2. How old are your plants? 4 weeks
3. How tall are your plants? 12 inches
4. What size containers are they planted in? 2.5 quarts
5. What is your soil mix? Coco - extra course.
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? Tap water - started out watering every other day.
7. What is the pH of your water? 5.8 - 6.0
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? Jack's hydroponics
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? LED - Bridgelux Gen 3 CRI 90 4000k - about 19w per sq ft.
11. How close are your lights to the plants? 20 inches
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 16 sq ft
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 78 F - 60%
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? Fungus Gnats
I am surprised in this very thorough questionaire that EC (PPM) is not asked for - strange.
EC (PPM) = 1.8 (900)
WATER TEMPERATURE
= 55 F

From the pictures you can see that my girls are not looking good. Looks like classic over watering symptoms. But this brings up a question: what is the difference between over watered and over nuted? Plants that have looked over nuted to me usually have burned looking leaf tips. But could these pics represent over nuted also?

Anyway, first time using coco. With rockwool I can go in early veg to EC 1.8. But the big thing I think I screwed up on was the water temp, somehow I figured they could handle that cold of temps, higher O2 and so on.

I've since backed off the EC, increased the water temps to 68F, kept ph @ 5.8 ish, and only watered after the pot was much more dry. Most of the plants are doing well now, but about 25% are still looking rough, curled down leaves, very slow (stalled) growth. I can't figure out what is wrong. In second pic the leaves are doing this light green striped thing, this is happening on one strain only.

What am I missing?

8603537410072187171.jpeg

8336958145079303389.jpeg

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
I would check to see if the plants have outgrown their containers?

Mr. G

Milarepa

Milarepa

I believe overwatering in coco coir is not possible due to coco coirs gas/air exchange capability. Are you supplementing calmag? May be a magnesium deficiency.
I'm using magnesium sulfate and calcium nitrate added to the solution. I've heard you can't over water coco, and mine is a more course/airy coco as well so it drains really well. However, the pots are staying wet too long, so the plants are not drinking much, so clearly there is something wrong with the solution that makes them not what to drink. Too cold water, really off PH, or too much or imbalanced nutes would cause them to not want to drink, no? But I believe if any of those variables were causing problems initially they have been corrected, yet some plants still very unhappy.

I would check to see if the plants have outgrown their containers?
Definately have not outgrown pots, I transplanted from clones to solo cups and when transplanted to the 2.5q pots roots were not nearly full.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Sorry. Haha. Thought I was posting elsewhere.
your plants look like they could use cal Mag.

AndyBoi

AndyBoi

S
I'm using magnesium sulfate and calcium nitrate added to the solution. I've heard you can't over water coco, and mine is a more course/airy coco as well so it drains really well. However, the pots are staying wet too long, so the plants are not drinking much, so clearly there is something wrong with the solution that makes them not what to drink. Too cold water, really off PH, or too much or imbalanced nutes would cause them to not want to drink, no? But I believe if any of those variables were causing problems initially they have been corrected, yet some plants still very unhappy.

Definately have not outgrown pots, I transplanted from clones to solo cups and when transplanted to the 2.5q pots roots were not nearly full.
Seems like a complicated issue beyond my experience.
No signs of nute burn, and I think its difficult to damage plants in coco with calcium and magnesium. Maybe up the dose? Im a beginner grower myself, just trying to shoot some ideas out there.

Milarepa

Milarepa

Just to follow up, found out the devastating news today that my problem is from Russet mites.

Really nasty little f'ers. They do serious damage and are very hard to kill.

AndyBoi

AndyBoi

Just to follow up, found out the devastating news today that my problem is from Russet mites.

Really nasty little f'ers. They do serious damage and are very hard to kill.
Sorry to hear that mate. Thanks for sharing 🙏

ChiT

ChiT

Check this out
Damn, I’m hoping they fixed this issue and that’s why it’s widely available?

Double damn, the SDS data I saw was from 2016, this letter is 2018.....so much for an Organic Grow...SMH

E2D20CB0 C87B 4F71 9EAB 8250CBECF0F0
Last edited:
Milarepa

Milarepa

How did you figure out that it was russet mites ???
A friend of mine came over to help diagnose the problem, eventually he said he had similar symptoms when he had Broad mites. He came back with his microscope and all the leaves had these really tiny clear but slightly yellow crawlers. First I thought it was broad mites but all the details I researched point to Russet.

Reactions: PK1
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

A friend of mine came over to help diagnose the problem, eventually he said he had similar symptoms when he had Broad mites. He came back with his microscope and all the leaves had these really tiny clear but slightly yellow crawlers. First I thought it was broad mites but all the details I researched point to Russet.

Damn shazamm!

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

Could be that the fungus gnat babies are eating the roots. How bad is the infestation?

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

Cause from what I’m seeing the plants are pointing to the roots. Is there any constant fan on em?

Top Bottom