Bio-film building up in reservoir

• Thread starter farmboi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
farmboi

farmboi

Would anyone know what the cause of this biofilm that is forming in my reservoir? My guess is it has something with the type of nutrients I'm using but I can't find much on the subject.

I'm using Botanicare's Kind line of nutrients along with their Cal-Mag in an ebb and flow system.
I'm also using RO water, UV filtration, and plenty of Oxygen.

Is it possible I need a larger Uv filter?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Bio film building up in reservoir
Bio film building up in reservoir 2
Bio film building up in reservoir 3
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Would anyone know what the cause of this biofilm that is forming in my reservoir? My guess is it has something with the type of nutrients I'm using but I can't find much on the subject.

I'm using Botanicare's Kind line of nutrients along with their Cal-Mag in an ebb and flow system.

Looks like diatoms

THC.Tribble

THC.Tribble

Are you using hydrogen peroxide in your res?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I looked into using hydrogen peroxide and I will be giving that a try. How many ml/gal would you recommend?
Depends what concentration. If you buy the 29% it can still be shipped. At least here in Canada. 2-3ml per gal but dilute first atleast 10 to 1 before adding. You don't wanna burn the roots from direct contact

farmboi

farmboi

[QUOTE="cemchris, post: 2448267, member: 7
Kind has seaweed extract in it. That plus the air stones. Why the airstones?
[/QUOTE]

I'm using airstones to keep the water from becoming stagnant and from what I understand it should help prevent some unwanted growth.
I would like to get your opinion on whether I should or shouldn't be using them if you don't mind.

farmboi

farmboi

Depends what concentration. If you buy the 29% it can still be shipped. At least here in Canada. 2-3ml per gal but dilute first atleast 10 to 1 before adding. You don't wanna burn the roots from direct contact
[/QUOT

Sweet! that sounds like everything I've read so far. I'll try it out on another run and see what we get! Thanks!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I'm using airstones to keep the water from becoming stagnant and from what I understand it should help prevent some unwanted growth.
I would like to get your opinion on whether I should or shouldn't be using them if you don't mind.

The only time you would run airstones in E&F is "live" rez. Running UV you dead dead. Your nutes wont become stagnant. The nutes and plants get plenty of oxygen every time you flood the tables and plants. If you are having a problem with stuff falling out of suspension I would suggest to either switch nutes or put a pump on a timer to circ occasionally. Airstones are just going to make you adjust the PH a lot more. I would move more towards changing it up. Seaweed extract will usually foam a rez up when you put air to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom