BKs Bean Popping & Chucking Adventure

• Thread starter bunkerking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

geemonty

I tell my son "you have Autism" NOT "you are autistic" autism is one part of many who define yourself. Saying you are autistic labels yourself, you are more than just autistic... You are an awesome grower that I look up to and hopefully can someday be as good as you. Also you gave been gifted with empathy, something that is needed more in today's world. Seems like an ability more than a disability through my eyes.respect to you.
Old thread but came across this as I was looking for strains that might work well for certain undesirable characteristics of autism/ADHD that I experience and thought I might add some context about the statement you made. This was well written so instead of "ASDspalining" I thought I would just link it.

https://autisticadvocacy.org/about-asan/identity-first-language/

From surveys I have seen, it seems as if a majority of ASD persons prefer the identity first option. I personally prefer it as well.

I agree that ASD could be looked at as a gift. Many ASD persons I have come into contact with consider it a "superpower". When there is an easy obvious solution to a problem it doesn't matter much but the moment the problem to be solved enters realm of not so obvious is when I shine. I can assimilate new information extremely fast. It might not seem like it at first, but once I grasp this new info I can expand upon it at lightning fast pace. I have easily been among the top 1% of my peers in any task(except sports, not very athletic) I have done.

It can also be curse especially for me. It didn't matter that I scored the highest on tests. I didn't finish my EE degree because I stopped going to class halfway through the semester beyond the drop date so failed every class that semester. That was my 3rd year. Ended going to different school and changed to IT (CCNE/RHCE stuff). I was the top student in the program, I dropped out with just 1 semester left. Its so very hard to sit in a room with so many people. I can hear the freaking lights humming, pens/pencils clicking and scratching, so so very annoyingly and that person sitting 10 ft away from me smells like wet dog which is so distracting yet no one else seems to care. I piss off at least 1 person a day by just being me. Friends/family are engaged in some small talk but they say something inaccurate and I happen to have read X peer reviewed studies and seen Y meta analysis and Z surveys. Yeah most people don't like this apparently, "ASDsplaining"? I can't even maintain an 8-9 job, sometimes that sock just won't sit right and I have to spend extra time getting it right taking my shoe(s) off several times. Then there is that OCD aspect where I have to walk all the way back to my apartment because even though I know I locked my door I have to make sure, I get fired often for being late to work.

It's hard having family that tries to minimize and ignore what you are. Whatever terminology you and your son choose to use is up to you just glad you are there to support him.

Top Bottom