Black leaves after repot with Better Soil

• Thread starter Aletardo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aletardo

Aletardo

So, I'm starting my second ever grow but I've already run into difficulties.

I've just moved the little guy into a 5 gallon pot about 3 days ago. I started noticing the leaves on the bottom were curling so I watered and the next day they perked back up nice and straight. Fast forward to now and the same bottom leaves are now shriveled at the tips and one has even turned black at the tip. On top of that the top leaves are now starting to curl and I can't figure out why. I just watered the plant about 2 days ago.

I'm using a very cheap Giixer Grow Light. My soil is a mixture of Natures Own Living Soil and Fox Farms Ocean Forest. I use regular tap water. The plant was originally in only Fox Farms Ocean Forest

I pulled the bottom leaves off and the top had been curling much more earlier today. It's gotten better but this same thing happened to those bottom leaves. Before they suddenly died Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated!

Black leaves after repot with better soil
Black leaves after repot with better soil 2
Black leaves after repot with better soil 3
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

This is a very young plant. You must take extra care not to burn it with to much light.
I'd say you are cooking it alive! It's easy to do. All seedlings need is a 15 w CFLs 6 - 8 inches away.
Make sure to use Daylight 6500 color. I tried 4 - 23w CFL but found them overly hot for my seedlings.
15 w 6500s work great for 30 days or so.

I'm thinking it looks very dry as well. How much water do you give it and how often.

CFL

Last edited:
TSD

TSD

The soil may be too hot for a seedling as well. Is it an auto or a photo?

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I was thinking young as well. With a little luck he will give it a cup of water. Back the lights off a bit and not feed it.
You best give him a heads up on the hot soil, he likely won't understand.

Aletardo

Aletardo

I was thinking young as well. With a little luck he will give it a cup of water. Back the lights off a bit and not feed it.
You best give him a heads up on the hot soil, he likely won't understand.
Temp in my room is at a constant 68 - 71 Fahrenheit. The soil isn't hot whatsoever unless I'm misunderstanding that. It was sitting in about 3 inches of ocean forest because my new soil was late on shipping. I had to move it to the new pot when my soil came in. Those bottom leaves already dead, the ones in my picture were the next set that came afterwords. And now the new set above is being weird.

Aletardo

Aletardo

This is a very young plant. You must take extra care not to burn it with to much light.
I'd say you are cooking it alive! It's easy to do. All seedlings need is a 15 w CFLs 6 - 8 inches away.
Make sure to use Daylight 6500 color. I tried 4 - 23w CFL but found them overly hot for my seedlings.
15 w 6500s work great for 30 days or so.

I'm thinking it looks very dry as well. How much water do you give it and how often.

View attachment 1186693
My lights sit atleast 12 inches away. Is that too far?

Aletardo

Aletardo

My lights sit atleast 12 inches away. Is that too far?
I gave it one cup of water when I noticed curling and haven't watered since. The soil literally just underneath is still very damp.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
So, I'm starting my second ever grow but I've already run into difficulties.

I've just moved the little guy into a 5 gallon pot about 3 days ago. I started noticing the leaves on the bottom were curling so I watered and the next day they perked back up nice and straight. Fast forward to now and the same bottom leaves are now shriveled at the tips and one has even turned black at the tip. On top of that the top leaves are now starting to curl and I can't figure out why. I just watered the plant about 2 days ago.

I'm using a very cheap Giixer Grow Light. My soil is a mixture of Natures Own Living Soil and Fox Farms Ocean Forest. I use regular tap water. The plant was originally in only Fox Farms Ocean Forest

I pulled the bottom leaves off and the top had been curling much more earlier today. It's gotten better but this same thing happened to those bottom leaves. Before they suddenly died Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated!
Holy fuck. 5 gallons for that little spout. Must be very lonely in that big ass pot.🧐
I try to get my root balls going first, usually solo cups these days, it's a good place to start. I even use shot glass sized cups. I've done entire grows in a little solo cup, actually.

Not trying to criticize, or embarrass anyone here; certainly there's more than one way to gut a fish; but I highly recommend reading up on this subject concerning pot size, and watering; I highly recommend trying to employ some of the tried and true methods; where here to help.

IMG 20210621 173443390

Aletardo

Aletardo

Holy fuck. 5 gallons for that little spout. Must be very lonely in that big ass pot.🧐
I try to get my root balls going first, usually solo cups these days, it's a good place to start. I even use shot glass sized cups. I've done entire grows in a little solo cup, actually.

Not trying to criticize, or embarrass anyone here; certainly there's more than one way to gut a fish; but I highly recommend reading up on this subject concerning pot size, and watering; I highly recommend trying to employ some of the tried and true methods; where here to help.

View attachment 1186775
Thanks for the info! That's what I had wanted to do but because of limited soil due to shipping delays I just ended up going for the 5 gallon immediately so I wouldn't have to worry about a future repot.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hi again. The only Giixer Grow Lights I could find where 1000w LED. I don't Veg under LED but I'm thinking 12" is way to close for this light.
Maybe one of the other guys that grow under LED will chime in and help get it the right distance from your plant. You can get a light meter for your iphone. Search the app store for Lux. This can help you get set up so the plant is not getting a sun burn. Think of it like this. Seedlings in nature come up in May, nice light but it's not as intense as a mid July afternoon. Your grow light is more like a July afternoon and if it's to close the plant can get a bad sun burn. Even cook it.

I used my iphone with Lux app. My veg setup is showing 15,000 lux when I hold the meter facing the lights and the phone right on top of the plants and they are very happy.

As I stated in my last post the plant also looks very dry. Little sprouts like this don't have much of a root system yet to go out and find water. You need to circle the plant when you water it. Out 2" from the plant and give it a good cup full of water. ASAP. It needs to be kept quite moist for the first 30 days. Not drowning but quite moist.

Oh ya, It's important that you do not feed your plant! I have to go out but will be back in a bit. Your soil has plenty of food for the next 2 months.
Hang in there bud. With a little TLC your plant will recover and be just fine.

BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

Next run, repot and use smaller pots for seedlings. I transplanted 3 times finally into a 7gal, each time you get a chance to see the rootzone and its growth to guage if its healthy. Do not leave that top soil dry, the seedlings roots are shallow right now and likely within that 2 or 3 inch dry zone. Use a spray bottle to keep top moist, not soaking wet but make sure it stays remotely moist. 12 inches is too close for your light right now. Move it back to like 18 to 20inches, thats where I had mine, when it was closer it burnt the leaves. If youd like you can use a shade cloth, it worked wonders for me as i didnt have a dimmer for the light, simply cut a compost tea bag in half and hang it with fishing line about 12 inches away from the light. It stopped my plant from tacoing leaves and then about 36hrs later as it recovered i began to remove the shade and now shes stronger able to handle more light.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

It's best to fill your watering can today. Let it sit 24 hrs. Chlorine is a gas and will dissipate. Leaving good water for your plant.

2Bad

2Bad

Cotyledon's fall off... urs just fell off sooner because u repotted too early in such a big pot

Top Bottom