Black smoke from bubble hash

• Thread starter Icanmakeit4u
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Icanmakeit4u

Icanmakeit4u

Has anyone ever seen black smoke from bubble hash? I recently Harvested my crop and made 90 micron bubble hash. I let it dry for a couple days then cured it for a week. I tried burning some today and notice when it was lit, it was making black smoke. Any advice?

AKgrow

AKgrow

It probably has contaminates and plant matter in it. Do you have a finer mesh bag?

AKgrow

AKgrow

If you over agitate while mixing it can release fats from the plant material and end up in your final product. That could cause soot I would think. Also it could just not be dry enough.

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

Hmm.... this is actually more well understood than you think....Smoke is the biproduct of the fuels it is burning, you just have to understand it's scale size to what you see and apply the same science.

The color of the smoke indicates the type and density of the fuels involved (such as your bubble hash), and if compared to a larger scale and involved larger building structures, then it would indicate to fire fighters hints as to what the fire might do next. Ok, let's not get off topic.

All materials burn, and depending on the intensity of heat to that material will give off different smoke indicators as to the types of products that are burning and it's intensity to burn, combined with the intensity for that product to remain combustible to it's vapors released. Resins of cannabis are generally considered oil based in nature, and the more concentrated (your bubble hash) the more intense heating will be needed to create a cleaner combustion process to sustain combustion. I would suggest that your method of heating your bubble hash, combined with the moisture content in it , takes more time on initial lite up, and you are getting a blacker, more sootier, smoke as a result of trying to light it to fresh, or with less heat than required, but once lit probably subsides somewhat to a lighter color as you drag and increase oxygen to the equation.

White smoke can often mean material is off-gassing moisture and water vapor, meaning the fire is just starting to consume material. White smoke can also indicate light and flashy fuels such as grass or twigs.

Thick, black smoke indicates heavy fuels such as concentrated oils, that are not being fully consumed. At times, black smoke can be an indicator that a man made material is burning such as oil, tires, vehicles or a structure. As a general rule, the darker the smoke, the more toxic the gases , and volatile the fire is.

Grey smoke can indicate that the fire is slowing down and running out of materials to burn, like at the end of the burn of a pipe.

Here's a video of an example of when you see black smoke with hash burning, and though it probably does not represent completely with what you did or do, it does show puffs of black (sooty) smoke on the initial application of heat, until such time as a more complete combustion continues (whiter color of smoke), and as the fuel load dwindles then it will darken to a grey colored smoke. I know this is rather lengthy an explanation, but smoke color is more understood today in combustion to understand this answer.

Sorry for the long answer to maybe a more simple question you expected but it is my passion and career in understanding this subject matter, so I offer it as a science truth. I hope it somehow helped, and fixes your problem 👍

Icanmakeit4u

Icanmakeit4u

OMG! Thank you so much for the explanation. Makes perfect sense!! So I pretty much agitated too much to release plant fat or plant material OR the hash isn't quite ready for combustion.

Icanmakeit4u

Icanmakeit4u

Forgot to ask, what can I do about this? Leave it won't to dry for a couple more weeks, then bottle it for curing.

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

Sustaining good combustion requires 3 main components...heat, oxygen, fuel (vapor)...combined in the right concentrations. I think if you can find a way to follow either of these highlighted ways, or a combinations thereof, it will greatly help...however you do it. Though I have never made bubble hash myself, I would imagine that the amount of moisture that is still in the actual plant matter of your bubble hash is slowing the combustion process for you and may need you to find a way to let it dry more and cure...

"...more intense heating will be needed to create a cleaner combustion process to sustain combustion. I would suggest that your method of heating your bubble hash, combined with the moisture content in it..."

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
Hmm.... this is actually more well understood than you think....Smoke is the biproduct of the fuels it is burning, you just have to understand it's scale size to what you see and apply the same science.

The color of the smoke indicates the type and density of the fuels involved (such as your bubble hash), and if compared to a larger scale and involved larger building structures, then it would indicate to fire fighters hints as to what the fire might do next. Ok, let's not get off topic.

All materials burn, and depending on the intensity of heat to that material will give off different smoke indicators as to the types of products that are burning and it's intensity to burn, combined with the intensity for that product to remain combustible to it's vapors released. Resins of cannabis are generally considered oil based in nature, and the more concentrated (your bubble hash) the more intense heating will be needed to create a cleaner combustion process to sustain combustion. I would suggest that your method of heating your bubble hash, combined with the moisture content in it , takes more time on initial lite up, and you are getting a blacker, more sootier, smoke as a result of trying to light it to fresh, or with less heat than required, but once lit probably subsides somewhat to a lighter color as you drag and increase oxygen to the equation.

White smoke can often mean material is off-gassing moisture and water vapor, meaning the fire is just starting to consume material. White smoke can also indicate light and flashy fuels such as grass or twigs.

Thick, black smoke indicates heavy fuels such as concentrated oils, that are not being fully consumed. At times, black smoke can be an indicator that a man made material is burning such as oil, tires, vehicles or a structure. As a general rule, the darker the smoke, the more toxic the gases , and volatile the fire is.

Grey smoke can indicate that the fire is slowing down and running out of materials to burn, like at the end of the burn of a pipe.

Here's a video of an example of when you see black smoke with hash burning, and though it probably does not represent completely with what you did or do, it does show puffs of black (sooty) smoke on the initial application of heat, until such time as a more complete combustion continues (whiter color of smoke), and as the fuel load dwindles then it will darken to a grey colored smoke. I know this is rather lengthy an explanation, but smoke color is more understood today in combustion to understand this answer.

Sorry for the long answer to maybe a more simple question you expected but it is my passion and career in understanding this subject matter, so I offer it as a science truth. I hope it somehow helped, and fixes your problem 👍
How long do you like to cure your hash? Do you use a machine? Your answer was so complete, I assume you are a Hash ninja master😃😃

Latest posts

Top Bottom