Blackdog Led "bd360-u" Vs. California Lightworks Led "solarstorm 440"

• Thread starter john martin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
john martin

john martin

Things are coming along nicely.

The two Blue Dreams are establishing themselves from the ez-cloner into their 1 gallon containers.

Letting them get a solid hold in the soil and will post pics in next couple days.

Once they get going I will try to update 2-3x a week.

Once they establish in the 1 gallons I will put them into 3 and from 3 to 9.

Going to use 'main-line' method and leaning towards 4 main tops since the BD fills out very nicely and does better with less tops.

I have the Cali. L.W. set to Veg mode, since that is what they recommend.

I will say that the build of the Black Dog LED is extremely impressive - four huge fans on top, very solid unit.

This is getting exciting as I have been waiting for this for a long time!

Got new flooring put in the room, and the heat is controlled between 81 and 84F, staying very close to 83.6 and fluctuating a bit within that range.

Pics coming soon!

john martin

john martin

I'm going to measure and mark out locations for tri-pod camera stand and take the pictures from same equal locations for each plant, so the perspective is fair.

Going to either stake the 4 main-lines up or scrog them, but either way both will be measured out to fill in their 3x3 areas.

john martin

john martin

Early Veg:

Both just had their first topping right before taking pics.

Keeping the lights 22-24 inches above canopy.

They are growing very fast, about an inch in the last 24 hours alone.

Both are extremely similar in size.

Aiming towards doing 4 tops per plant. The Bluedream chunks out a lot, so I think 8 would be over-doing it.

Both had tons of beneficials and are getting pure water until transplant.

Most likely going from the 1 gallons they are in to 3 gallons next. Planning on finishing them in 9 gallon pots. Was originally going to try 7's, but don't want to limit the lights in any way.

DSC00056
DSC00057

john martin

john martin

The 235w of veg. mode used by the Cali. Lightworks was just not even coming close to keeping up with the Blackdog's all-in-one mode.

I trimmed both up to same size tops, and turned the Cali. Lightworks to bloom mode, which draws 320w.

The Blackdog's all-in-one mode draws 340w.

I would turn the UVB mode on the Cali. Lightworks to even out the watt usage, but they recommend only using it in flower.

So, in a week or less I will re-top these and there will go from 2 to 4 tops.

I will now be updating at least 1-2x a week.

john martin

john martin

Lighting is a bit deceiving, they are both extremely close to same size, but the one under the BD is tiny bit taller. Height will even out when I transplant. Hopefully now that the Cali. LW is at least drawing almost same wattage it will be more fair comparison. Not sure I'm a fan of their 'veg mode' at this point.
DSC00058
DSC00059

GanjaGod

GanjaGod

Why not do 3 or 4 plants under each light then divide total yield of each light by number of plants? This would afford you an "average yield per plant, per light" vs only depending on single plants for the face-off.

The reason multiple plants could make for a better test:
  1. different plants even from the same mom and being genetic equals, may root differently.
  2. you can concurrently test the advertised footprint of each light.
  3. you will waste less watts being unused on the wood floor :)
But alas sir, this is YOUR test and I commend you sharing this information with the community. Thank you and best wishes!

-GG

john martin

john martin

Going to veg them until they are to a point that in flower they will utilize the 3x3 footprint.

Not bad idea though, might do 4 smaller plants under each one for next test.

john martin

john martin

4 tops each now. Did a little pinching to even out the tops.
Should be able to re-pot them into 3s pretty soon.

Blackdog:
DSC00060

Cali. Lightworks:
DSC00061

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Things are coming along nicely.

The two Blue Dreams are establishing themselves from the ez-cloner into their 1 gallon containers.

Letting them get a solid hold in the soil and will post pics in next couple days.

Once they get going I will try to update 2-3x a week.

Once they establish in the 1 gallons I will put them into 3 and from 3 to 9.

Going to use 'main-line' method and leaning towards 4 main tops since the BD fills out very nicely and does better with less tops.

I have the Cali. L.W. set to Veg mode, since that is what they recommend.

I will say that the build of the Black Dog LED is extremely impressive - four huge fans on top, very solid unit.

This is getting exciting as I have been waiting for this for a long time!

Got new flooring put in the room, and the heat is controlled between 81 and 84F, staying very close to 83.6 and fluctuating a bit within that range.

Pics coming soon!
Can you tell me whose lamps Blackdog is using.? I could research no prob, just hoping you have it off the top of your head.

john martin

john martin

Sorry I don't know the answer off top of my head. I only know they use 5w diodes but power them around 2.something watts. Cali. Lightworks uses 5w diodes and powers them around 4.something watts.

(Forgot to mention earlier both lights are still 22-23 inches above tops of plants in above pics)

(Will start using LED correction lens for camera too)

john martin

john martin

Yeah, I have the MethodSeven LED glasses. Just gonna clean them real good and hold them in front of the camera next time I take pics.

john martin

john martin

Keep getting an error when trying to upload the images here.

The Cali. Lightworks seems to be promoting more dense growth.

Both of them in their 3 gallon pots.

Blackdog:

Cali. Lightworks:

john martin

john martin

Both have 8 tops now, going to keep training and evening them out, and let them get established in their 3 gallons. Then going to re-pot them into 9+ gallon pots and let them get established in those, then gonna flip.

Trying out Potter's Gold soil now instead of Roots Original, they look happy so far!

Blackdog:
DSC00070

Cali. Lightworks:
DSC00071

str8smokn

str8smokn

How long did that flooring take to gas off? I have some and was thinking of using it but it stinks and I didn't know if using HID lighting would cause it to continue degassing, with the heat? Being that it's vinyl.

john martin

john martin

I'm not an expert on the topic, but I bought it as a leftover piece from a big house installation, it was sitting in the warehouse after being cut for quite some time. I also had it sitting in my house for about a month before putting it down.

Mine doesn't have a smell to it that I can notice, would I be able to smell it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom