Blackened and burnt tips, moving fast, very strange--any ideas?

• Thread starter westernmassgrower41
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

westernmassgrower41

New poster here, but I've been growing casually for a few years now. This is only my second outdoor grow after about a half-dozen indoor harvests. I'm having some trouble with a current grow and hoping the wisdom of the internet can help.

A few days ago I noticed some of the leaf tips on one of my plants had blackened and turned crisp. Otherwise, the plant was doing very well with no other symptoms. The next day, the condition had spread and was moving fast up the affected leaves. These weren't lightly browned, but almost like they'd been charred black and crisp. I removed the leaves that were affected, but it us still spreading. I'm also noticing the same thing happening to the neighboring plant. These are different strands (first Gorilla Glue; second Buddha) and I've not had trouble with the genetics in the past. All of this is happening fast so I'm concerned that the plants might be unsalvageable at this stage.

PH looks good (around 7) and we're having rain for the next few days so I am doing a flush in case this is nutrient related, but the speed and color of the damage doesn't seem to align with other nutrient burn I've seen online or experienced myself. The advance from leaf tip inward on otherwise healthy leaves is baffling. There were no signs of other discoloration until yesterday, but now I'm also getting some yellowing as shown in the pictures. (The last picture shows a leaf with the earliest stages of the burn.)

The only other thing I can think might be the culprit: I found a post of powdery mildew the last week, so did an application of FoxFarm Bush Doctor over both plants. I might have been too vigorous in the application and we had some serious sunny days to follow, so I'm wondering if the mixture adhered to the leaves and burned them.

Anyone have any ideas? I've attached a few pictures to show the damage--these were taken just now after a light rain.

Thanks all.

Blackened and burnt tips moving fast very strange  any ideas
Blackened and burnt tips moving fast very strange  any ideas 2
Blackened and burnt tips moving fast very strange  any ideas 3
Blackened and burnt tips moving fast very strange  any ideas 4
Blackened and burnt tips moving fast very strange  any ideas 5
Last edited:
W

westernmassgrower41

Not sure if the photos uploaded correctly, so trying again.

IMG 1883
IMG 1893
IMG 1886
IMG 1887
IMG 1891

IMG 1892
steamroller

steamroller

Thoughts are a virus carried by some leaf hopper.
No joke.
Many good threads on this.
Here is one mid stream.

W

westernmassgrower41

Thoughts are a virus carried by some leaf hopper.
No joke.
Many good threads on this.
Here is one mid stream.
Thanks for the quick response and helpful link. Definitely could be a leafhopper-born virus as I saw a few of them on the plants the other day.

Some differences though: it seems like the cases in the linked page are affecting the new growth, with the purpling generally coming from the inside and moving outward, where my condition is moving from the tips inward. I'm also concerned that the discoloration in my case is sapping the affected areas of the leaves of all life immediately, whereas those affected by the virus in the linked page seem to still be growing. Thanks though. I'll check out some of the remedies suggested, and see if they offer any promise.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

I got really interested in your thread then started reading that linked thread from a few years back. How far into it did you get? On page 6 a dude chimes in with the most solid info/advice I had read up to that point. I'll link it below, but I think what @steamroller said is right on. This is simply my opinion from what I read tonight. I have no exp with this and not much exp growing anything, so take it for what it's worth.

Post in thread 'Dark Purple Disease Affecting New Growth?' https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/dark-purple-disease-affecting-new-growth.98203/post-2274606

I was going to say as far as the other threads new growth being affected, you're right but the father I got into it and the more pics I saw, the more I started to think it was the same thing. Some of the later pics show it at the leaf tips and the guys description of the post I linked, I think def sounds like it. Good luck, I'll be watching and hoping you figure it out.

Edit: and they guys it's happening to are saying it's not happening inside using the same mediums.

Top Bottom