Blazing Oaks 2016

• Thread starter Blaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blaze

Blaze

We got some new guests on the ranch yesterday: black angus cattle. We have 7 cows, 1 bull, and a few calves that will be hanging our for a few months. We've been working with a local rancher since last year and leasing the use of our land for grazing. Last spring they put too many cows on too early and they ended up causing some erosion damage to some of the hillsides and creeks which I was NOT happy about. The cows were moved over when I was out of town for two weeks, so by the time I got back the damage had already been done.

This year we are only allowing a third as many cattle to graze as we had last year, and waited to move them out two months later in the year, after the chance of heavy rains had passed. Our property is very steep and hilly, so making sure that the land is not getting over grazed and that the cattle are not causing our soils to erode is important. They are very destructive animals if not managed carefully.

Our chickens have really been cranking out the eggs the last few weeks as well. We are up to 10-12 eggs a day now. I'm letting my most broody hen sit on a clutch, if all goes well we might have some little chicks running around in a few weeks.

All the roses and fruit trees have started to bloom and set too, it is looking like we should have some good harvests of quite a few trees this year. I will be planting a bunch of perennial herbs over the weekend as well, I'll post up some pictures once I am finished.

The dep greenhouse is finished except for the plastic cover, and the soil has cooled off and is ready to go. We should be on track to plant it next week as I had hoped.
IMG 20160414 130626231 HDR

IMG 20160414 103445666 HDR

IMG 20160414 172259467

IMG 20160331 133537048

IMG 20160415 135115656

IMG 20160415 135202184

Blaze

Blaze

There have been some interesting developments recently with our local medical cannabis ordinances as well. One of the more glaring issues with what has been proposed by the Board of Stupid-visors is that the local sheriff is essentially refusing to participate in anything drafted by the state or county - they want to remain autonomous. So, despite the fact that the sheriff department wants people to purchase "zip ties" for their plants from them, and they want people to sign up with a registry, you will not receive ANY legal protection for doing so. They basically want the authority to bust anyone at any time for any reason, even if you are 100% compliant with the state and local medical cannabis regulations.

I was talking about it with my dad yesterday and he brought up the point that what they are doing is arguably illegal, and in direct violation of both state and county law. He thought that their actions could very likely open the county and the sheriffs department up to lawsuits. Lo and behold, this was in the local paper today:

http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/ge...m-against-mendocino-county-for-marijuana-raid

I don't totally agree with everything the Pinoleville tribe was doing (they pulled some pretty stupid crap in my opinion), however this could set a strong president. I hope they win the case and sue the shit out of the Mendocino Sheriffs Department, maybe then they will finally back off and stop harassing medical growers.

NCascadeSolo

NCascadeSolo

100 0102
Most excellent! All ready you've given me some idea's thanks 4 sharing...
Great profile pic btw, reminds me of a certain beach I LOVE :)

I'll be watching (0.O) Cheers!

Over the last week all the seedlings got transplanted from their plugs into one gallons and moved into their cold frame. The first rounds of clones are all rooted and transplanted into 4" pots now as well. The clones usually need at least 2+ weeks under the T5 lights until they are big enough to move outside into the transition greenhouse. They will stay in the transition greenhouse until the end of May, when their light cycle matches up with the natural light cycle. I also have a second round of cuts rooting now for back-ups and for orders from other people.

All the cover crops were chopped down and laid on top of the raised beds, then covered in composted dairy cow manure. When my load of green compost gets here next week, a layer of that will be added on top as well. Once that is done, it will be time to water it in well with some compost tea to get it all breaking down. I need to send in my soil samples to a lab here soon as well. The plan will be to amend the soil with whatever it need in another month, turn it over, let it sit for 2 weeks, then put all the plants in the ground. I have usually used Fruit Growers Laboratory (FGL) Inc. in the past but I think I might try Logan Labs this year since I have heard a lot of good things about them, and they are much cheaper than FGL for a full work up.
View attachment 590268
View attachment 590269
View attachment 590270

View attachment 590271
View attachment 590272

Last edited:
Blaze

Blaze

My profile pic of from Usal Beach, out in the Sinkyone Wilderness. One of my most favorite places on the whole planet, I love it out there. It is the only section of coast in the entire continental US that does not have a highway built along it and is still wild and pristine. There have been times I've gone camping there with my friends and we had the entire mile-long black sand beach to ourselves. More and more people know about it every year so we usually don't get it to ourselves anymore, but if you want to really get away from society it is and incredible place to go to.

Blaze

Blaze

Further north than MacKerricher (which is also a very cool place, I used to go there in the summers with my Grandparents). I think Usal Creek is the name of the creek that outlets at that beach but I'm not 100% sure. You take highway 1 for about 15 miles after you go through Leggit, then it is another 8 or 9 miles north on a little 1-lane dirt road. Eventually you end up at a campground and the beach. Unless you've got an off road vehicle or are backpacking, that is as far in as you can get.

NCascadeSolo

NCascadeSolo

Further north than MacKerricher (which is also a very cool place, I used to go there in the summers with my Grandparents). I think Usal Creek is the name of the creek that outlets at that beach but I'm not 100% sure. You take highway 1 for about 15 miles after you go through Leggit, then it is another 8 or 9 miles north a little 1-lane dirt road. Eventually you end up at a campground and the beach. Unless you've got an off road vehicle or are backpacking, that is as far in as you can get.

So sweet place! yup that's the one... :) I thought I recognized it...hard to mistake such an awesome place..I knew it was close. Your place shows all the hard work and TLC brother! Privileged to tag along, thanks..:smoking:

GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

We got some new guests on the ranch yesterday: black angus cattle. We have 7 cows, 1 bull, and a few calves that will be hanging our for a few months. We've been working with a local rancher since last year and leasing the use of our land for grazing. Last spring they put too many cows on too early and they ended up causing some erosion damage to some of the hillsides and creeks which I was NOT happy about. The cows were moved over when I was out of town for two weeks, so by the time I got back the damage had already been done.

This year we are only allowing a third as many cattle to graze as we had last year, and waited to move them out two months later in the year, after the chance of heavy rains had passed. Our property is very steep and hilly, so making sure that the land is not getting over grazed and that the cattle are not causing our soils to erode is important. They are very destructive animals if not managed carefully.

Our chickens have really been cranking out the eggs the last few weeks as well. We are up to 10-12 eggs a day now. I'm letting my most broody hen sit on a clutch, if all goes well we might have some little chicks running around in a few weeks.

All the roses and fruit trees have started to bloom and set too, it is looking like we should have some good harvests of quite a few trees this year. I will be planting a bunch of perennial herbs over the weekend as well, I'll post up some pictures once I am finished.

The dep greenhouse is finished except for the plastic cover, and the soil has cooled off and is ready to go. We should be on track to plant it next week as I had hoped.
View attachment 591048
View attachment 591049
View attachment 591050
View attachment 591051
View attachment 591053
View attachment 591054
Very nice what are your measurements on the greenhouse? Also i invite you to visit my grow i would love to hear any of you suggestions or info thx brother

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/outdoor-supersoil.78508/

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

I grew up going to the usal feed with my parents and all of there friends from Laytonville. The enchanted forest is insane. My parents old hippie crew was pretty awesome. There was an annual naked chair dance around the fire if that gives you an idea :). The big city of Westport is my home town!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think more ranchers should be doing mob grazing. There's an outfit in Siskiyou that's rebuilding soils very, very quickly by utilizing mob grazing techniques. It requires not just turning your cattle loose and letting them go, though.

How many roosters have you ended up with? Let me know if you need any tips for slaughtering. One of my wheaten Ameracaunas has gone broody, I stuck four eggs under her but then ALL the other hens laid under her while I was down in Yucca Valley. When I came home she had 15 eggs under her, mostly brown and only three blue remaining, along with a bunch of obvious egg yolk on her breast feathers and some of the eggs.

I recently learned that it's the HEN who 'decides' the sex of the chick!

maya42

maya42

My profile pic of from Usal Beach, out in the Sinkyone Wilderness. One of my most favorite places on the whole planet, I love it out there. It is the only section of coast in the entire continental US that does not have a highway built along it and is still wild and pristine. There have been times I've gone camping there with my friends and we had the entire mile-long black sand beach to ourselves. More and more people know about it every year so we usually don't get it to ourselves anymore, but if you want to really get away from society it is and incredible place to go to.

My wife and I went out to sinkyone once, we were looking for a place to have our wedding. So amazing out there. The little house/ an is super cool to check out as well

Blaze

Blaze

Very nice what are your measurements on the greenhouse? Also i invite you to visit my grow i would love to hear any of you suggestions or info thx brother

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/outdoor-supersoil.78508/

The permanent one will be 30 x 60 with 9' side wall and a ridge height of 18'. I'll definitely take a look at your grow thread.

It's a pretty good spot to eat mushrooms. :). Just saying. View attachment 591154
I have eaten mushrooms under that exact tree LoL. That place has such a weird forest, it looks like something straight out of Lord of the Rings. I always wonder what causes the trees there to become so gnarled and deformed.

I think more ranchers should be doing mob grazing. There's an outfit in Siskiyou that's rebuilding soils very, very quickly by utilizing mob grazing techniques. It requires not just turning your cattle loose and letting them go, though.

How many roosters have you ended up with? Let me know if you need any tips for slaughtering. One of my wheaten Ameracaunas has gone broody, I stuck four eggs under her but then ALL the other hens laid under her while I was down in Yucca Valley. When I came home she had 15 eggs under her, mostly brown and only three blue remaining, along with a bunch of obvious egg yolk on her breast feathers and some of the eggs.

I recently learned that it's the HEN who 'decides' the sex of the chick!

The mod grazing is an interesting idea but it would not be very practical for a lot of situations. I certainly would not have time to move the cattle 2-3 times a day every day and for a small number it just isn't worth it. I think systems like that work much better when you have a large herd, and lots of flat land in a wet area that wouldn't require additional irrigation - like out on the coast.

One of the big issues that a lot of these alternate grazing techniques never seem to mention is how incredibly expensive fencing has become. Breaking our property up into a bunch of little 10 acre paddocks would cost literally over a hundred thousand dollars in materials and labor. It is REALLY hard to justify that sort of expense when you only make about $1,500-3,000 a year on the grazing fees. Since I've only got 8 adults this year, it will be even less than that. You really do not make any money running cattle unless you have thousands of acres, their benefit comes from keeping the property taxes low and from getting the dead grass mowed down before fire season starts.

I did go back and froth a lot on letting the cows back on the land, especially after reading some of the articles you had posted on how terrible they can be for the environment. However after considering all our other options for livestock and how practical (or not practical) they would be to implement, and what would work in our terrain and climate, cattle do seem like the best option for us. This area of the county has always been grazing land, and has been for over a century. We are just going to do a lot less than before and watch them a bit more closely to make sure they don't over graze...

Oh and I ended up with two fine roosters. I keep debating whether or not to kill one, there do seem to be over mating with one or two of the hens lately. One has a small bald spot on her back and two others are looking a little ruffled. I am just hesitant to get rid of one because they have proven to be damn good protectors and do an excellent job of herding the hens to cover when a hawk or eagle comes around. This is the first time we've ever not been losing hens to the birds of prey on a regular basis, and the roosters are to thank for that in my opinion.

Last edited:
GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

The permanent one will be 30 x 60 with 9' side wall and a ridge height of 18'. I'll definitely take a look at your grow thread.

I have eaten mushrooms under that exact tree LoL. That place has such a weird forest, it looks like something straight out of Lord of the Rings. I always wonder what causes the trees there to become so gnarled and deformed.

The mod grazing is an interesting idea but it would not be very practical for a lot of situations. I certainly would not have time to move the cattle 2-3 times a day every day and for a small number it just isn't worth it. I think systems like that work much better when you have a large herd, and lots of flat land in a wet area that wouldn't require additional irrigation - like out on the coast.

One of the big issues that a lot of these alternate grazing techniques never seem to mention is how incredibly expensive fencing has become. Breaking our property up into a bunch of little 10 acre paddocks would cost literally over a hundred thousand dollars in materials and labor. It is REALLY hard to justify that sort of expense when you only make about $1,500-3,000 a year on the grazing fees. Since I've only got 8 adults this year, it will be even less than that. You really do not make any money running cattle unless you have thousands of acres, their benefit comes from keeping the property taxes low and from getting the dead grass mowed down before fire season starts.

I did go back and froth a lot on letting the cows back on the land, especially after reading some of the articles you had posted on how terrible they can be for the environment. However after considering all our other options for livestock and how practical (or not practical)
they would be to implement, and what would work in our terrain and climate, cattle do seem like the best option for us. This area of the county has always been grazing land, and has been for over a century. We are just going to do a lot less than before and watch them a bit more closely to make sure they don't over graze...

Oh and I ended up with two fine roosters. I keep debating whether or not to kill one, there do seem to be over mating with one or two of the hens lately. One has a small bald spot on her back and two others are looking a little ruffled. I am just hesitant to get rid of one because they have proven to be damn good protectors and do an excellent job of herding the hens to cover when a hawk or eagle comes around. This is the first time we've ever not been losing them to the birds of prey on a regular basis, and the roosters are to thank for that in my opinion.
Looks like somewhere btween skyforest & credtline beautiful

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
One of the big issues that a lot of these alternate grazing techniques never seem to mention is how incredibly expensive fencing has become. Breaking our property up into a bunch of little 10 acre paddocks would cost literally over a hundred thousand dollars in materials and labor.
The folks who do this use movable electric fencing usually, instead of having permanent paddocks fenced off. But I get ya, this is supplemental, not primary income. It would be treating your land a whole lot better as it builds up the soil for you, but that would come with the cost of grass that would need to be grazed as fire season approaches. The biggest hurdle anyone would have using this method on your land is figuring out where you want to set the electric fencing. :)
Oh and I ended up with two fine roosters. I keep debating whether or not to kill one, there do seem to be over mating with one or two of the hens lately. One has a small bald spot on her back and two others are looking a little ruffled. I am just hesitant to get rid of one because they have proven to be damn good protectors and do an excellent job of herding the hens to cover when a hawk or eagle comes around. This is the first time we've ever not been losing hens to the birds of prey on a regular basis, and the roosters are to thank for that in my opinion.
Absolutely they are, and if they're not fighting or working to break the flock up between each other, and the hens are still laying, then keep them. If, however, your hens are off lay, the roosters are fighting often, one or both are working against each other to form a flock, I believe that one rooster will do just fine protecting the ladies. And they do a FINE job of it! They really do have a purpose. :D We had to kill the three half-breed cockerels because they were causing terrible havoc in the flock.

By the way, hopefully all the hens are being covered, but you'll notice as you do this longer that roosters have favorites. As long as they don't bloody them up badly it's no big deal (having enough hens helps ensure no one hen is constantly being covered). I use that rough look to tell which girls are being covered and which are not. My rooster has completely eschewed sex with the Rhode Island Reds, for example, and only rarely covers the Wyandottes. Which is a good thing because those half-breed chicks always seem to end up being cockerels.

You mentioned one of your girls has gone broody. Check under her regularly, and hopefully you've either got her separated or the eggs she started out with marked. When she leaves the nest to eat and drink other birds will come in and lay eggs, which she'll then brood along with the original batch. If you haven't checked under her recently, you probably want to go ahead and do that or you could end up with a couple dozen partial chicken fetuses. The problem arises at hatch, she WILL follow the first chick right off the nest and won't come back if she's not kept confined. Also, make certain that only the best quality eggs have gone under her for brooding. Nothing oddly shaped or with nodules or bumps.

And now I shall grow vicariously through you. Sorry for the long off-topic post!

Blaze

Blaze

Not off topic at all, the chickens are part of the ranch too, and they contribute both manure for the plants and food for us. Same with the cows, the trees, etc - everything play part in making the whole scene function. The two roosters have been getting along really well and not working to break up the flock so we will keep them both, they have not beat up any of the hens too badly. They seem to have a thing for the blond colored hens though, those are always the ones who get roughed up. I was not aware about marking the eggs, either I'll go do that today.

Blaze

Blaze

Update on the water board regulations that have been enacted this year:

http://www.willitsnews.com/general-news/20160415/water-board-provides-cannabis-program-update

Supposedly we will have some certified third party contractors in the county here soon. Right now you would have to hire someone from Humboldt or Sonoma. Though the water board said they would have certified third party contractors "within the week" 3 months ago at the water board work shops, so I will believe it when I see it. Julia Carerra from the Small Farmers Association had her application in last July and they STILL have not approved her or anyone else locally. A lot of the guidelines are still very unclear and contradictory as well. Based off what I saw at the water board workshop, the water board employees running this program literally do not even know what their own guidelines say.

sox

sox

lookin good bro!
i like the cage you used for the seedlings...smart thinkin!
we took the plastic off our greenhouses, i keep it attached on one side with the dep plastic just incase it rains. Like @MendoGiantZ was saying...my ladies like it way better in the full sun.
hope you have a blessed year my friend!

Top Bottom