Blend of ethanol (ethyl) and isopropyl (isopropanol) for RSO?

• Thread starter swingarm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

swingarm

Was going to take a shot at making some oil. Since I'm a noob I have no idea if the following product would be a good candidate as a solvent as opposed an unblended choice
like isopropyl. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thisis my first post so please be gentle with me :)

Specially formulated with a 100% alcohol blend of ethanol (ethyl) and isopropyl (isopropanol)

P

Paradiced

Stick w straight ethanol if it's oil you will be consuming. 95%+ is best.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I'd stay away from isopropyl.

I've made batches of RSO several times. I wanted food grade, so I used Everclear as the solvent. Then I used a rice cooker to boil off the alcohol to leave oil.

Once done, I had a tar. I diluted 50% with vegetable oil to make it usable. Then I drew it into a syringe and measured drops into gel caps for later use.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
nothing wrong with isopropyl if used correctly it’s the best method.. it’s my choice method after yrs of trying others, i use 99.9%, buy it in 5 gallon pails..
cooking off in the rice cooker is not enough, after bubbling or close to it has happened (finished) than pour into a silicone tray than i use a coffee warmer on setting 1-1.5 for any where between 2-5 hours to evaporate any remaining fumes.. you could use the stove top on lowest setting also but watch and when there’s no more tiny bubbles (may have to stir it a bit with a pin to see) and a smooth surface than your safe..
if any “contaminate” is still present than the cannabiniods would neutralize them in a short time..

S

swingarm

Thanks
Stick w straight ethanol if it's oil you will be consuming. 95%+ is best.
So both solvents unblended have been used with success right? The product claim is that the blend is 1
nothing wrong with isopropyl if used correctly it’s the best method.. it’s my choice method after yrs of trying others, i use 99.9%, buy it in 5 gallon pails..
cooking off in the rice cooker is not enough, after bubbling or close to it has happened (finished) than pour into a silicone tray than i use a coffee warmer on setting 1-1.5 for any where between 2-5 hours to evaporate any remaining fumes.. you could use the stove top on lowest setting also but watch and when there’s no more tiny bubbles (may have to stir it a bit with a pin to see) and a smooth surface than your safe..
if any “contaminate” is still present than the cannabiniods would neutralize them in a short time..
Okay so what are the drawbacks of using the blend? I ask because I can source it easily and it's cheap. If I followed the method you suggest Gnick would the outcome be radically different? It seems both have been used and the blend is pure (or so it claims). I have not tried real hard to find a source elsewhere but the initial goto places tuned up smaller quantities and so significantly more expensive.Thanks for your input everyone.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok i’d only use isopropyl or 200 proof food grade ethanol..
a blend? not sure what you mean by that..
a 5 gallon pail of 99.9% isopropyl cost me $180-220 canadian..
the methods for using both are pretty much the same..
there are other ways of evaporating off the alcohol if you don’t want to use a rice cooker, but that generally means using your stove top.. i like to do this extraction not inside my house as fumes are the danger!!!
so i use a rice cooker.. i’ve taken out the fuse and replaced with a wire to stop it from shutting off to early in the process..
even though your thinking about making RSO oil i’d make it more of a QWISO or QWET type, basically freezing everything first and not allow the mix to sit together too long..
before filtering allow the mix to sit for a day to have all sediment/dirt to settle at the bottom to help keep it out of the next filtering, than i let that sit, than usually good enough as i pour that into the rice cooker id stop before sediment poured in, keeping it clean and pure, no biggie if some gets in, i’m just picky.. most times i’ll set my jars on an angle to let the sediment settle before pouring in..
cooking off will have a distinct smell so i usually do in the middle of the night and during bad weather or a storm.. i have a sunroom to do it in..
just make some the easiest way you can than as you learn you’ll understand things better and create your own method etc..
lots of people here make it using different alcohol and different methods so lots of help for you here…

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

It’s 92% ethanol 8 iso.

It’s denatured essentially. You can get that for under $75 for 5 gallons. I’m a purist I would only want the etoh personally.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ya not the blended stuff, i wouldn’t..
either 99.9% isopropyl or 200 proof ethanol..
i find i get a more of a concentrated/clean hash oil from iso than ethanol.. but either one is what to use..

S

swingarm

ya not the blended stuff, i wouldn’t..
either 99.9% isopropyl or 200 proof ethanol..
i find i get a more of a concentrated/clean hash oil from iso than ethanol.. but either one is what to use..
Okay thanks guys. I will look for a source this week. I have one place in mind that may be able to supply larger amounts of isopropyl in my local.

Latest posts

Top Bottom