Blood meal/Bone meal use in outdoor pots?

• Thread starter Thumbuddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thumbuddy

Thumbuddy

Positive this is covered somewhere here but as far as using blood meal and bone meal for nitrogen and phosphorus/calcium...how would you apply it?
I'm using fabric pots for my my outdoor grow and starting to notice a slight nutrient deficiency.
Just starting into flowering period and began using a molasses mix at watering as I was hoping that may boost my soil.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I think most people mix it in the soil before potting.

If this is the fertilizer you've got, top dress is pretty much your only option — with or without scratching in it an inch or so.

Are your plants protected from animals? Blood and bone meals are attractive to dogs, raccoons, opossums, etc.

Thumbuddy

Thumbuddy

I was actually thinking of using as a supplement if it was possible. Plants dont look super bad and going to do a soil test first. Just noticing some yellowing and was thinking organic supplements if they were needed.
Dogs dont mess around in there and coons stay away due to dogs,lol.
Just thinking ahead if additional supplements were needed was all

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

Positive this is covered somewhere here but as far as using blood meal and bone meal for nitrogen and phosphorus/calcium...how would you apply it?
You can top dress blood meal at 1 tsp per gallon pot size. Blood meal only lasts about a month so you'll need to repeat this monthly and don't try to add multiple months worth in one go.
You may also want to add 1-2 Tbsp biochar, compost, or worm castings per gallon pot size to make sure your soil has the microbes to turn the blood meal into the nutrients they can uptake.

You probably don't need bone meal unless you're seeing a clear P deficiency. If you need calcium try gypsum; it's cheaper than bone meal too.

Top Bottom