Bog Bubble W/ Cree Leds - Old School, New School

• Thread starter Larry.G
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Minitiger

Minitiger

Haven't logged on in a little while. I'm assuming you've chopped already? I judge when to chop by the pistils only. And also, when it just feels like it's time to chop. And also, when I'm like,"Okay, I'm over this grow, I'm ready to be done," haha. Not really, but kind of. I have a loupe, but I swear to gawd, I can't tell what's cloudy/clear/amber at all when I look through it. It's a nice loupe, I think 30x, but it's got one of those lights on it that just makes every trichrome look bright white. I suppose I could turn the light off.... But yeah, I mostly go by feel. Which probably isn't the best way, but whatever.

Larry.G

Larry.G

Chopped, dried and trimmed.

I chopped the plant at day 59.

I was letting the pot dry fully between waterings as I neared the end, but I think I might have pushed it too far.. Day 58, plant looked great, but when I woke up on Day 59, all the fan leaves were completely wilted and shriveled. I decided I didn't want to stress the plant any more with a recovery attempt and so I chopped.

Removed all the large fan leaves, then hung the entire plant upside down for 5 days at 70F, 45%RH in the dark.
Today, stems are stiff but still bendy. Manicured the buds to my liking and put them in a clean paper bag in the dark. I'll keep them there a week or so before beginning a long cure in jars with a Boveda pack.

Overall, I'm happy with how everything went although I'm a little concerned about the trichomes seeming so clear, even towards the end. This is my first grow, so I'm not sure I can tell the difference between clear/cloudy very well. The 30x/60x loupe I purchased is decent, but not very easy to use. Any little shaking of the bud or the loupe makes it tough to keep things in focus. I think I can see a few that are cloudy and there even seems to be a few amber, but mostly they seem clear. Oh well, we shall see.

Wanted to pass along a huge thank-you to everyone who contributed to the thread and helped out along the way. I learned a lot about not over-reacting to minor changes in the plant, keeping feed to a minimum and the importance of environment control (including ventilation). I've mixed my own soil for the next round and sent it off for analysis before I plant anything.

Picked up some goodies from OG Biowar, set up a AACT brewer and obtained some really amazing local compost and EWC. Fun times ahead.

Dry and trim a

Dry and trim

chronic68

chronic68

Chopped, dried and trimmed.

I chopped the plant at day 59.

I was letting the pot dry fully between waterings as I neared the end, but I think I might have pushed it too far.. Day 58, plant looked great, but when I woke up on Day 59, all the fan leaves were completely wilted and shriveled. I decided I didn't want to stress the plant any more with a recovery attempt and so I chopped.

Removed all the large fan leaves, then hung the entire plant upside down for 5 days at 70F, 45%RH in the dark.
Today, stems are stiff but still bendy. Manicured the buds to my liking and put them in a clean paper bag in the dark. I'll keep them there a week or so before beginning a long cure in jars with a Boveda pack.

Overall, I'm happy with how everything went although I'm a little concerned about the trichomes seeming so clear, even towards the end. This is my first grow, so I'm not sure I can tell the difference between clear/cloudy very well. The 30x/60x loupe I purchased is decent, but not very easy to use. Any little shaking of the bud or the loupe makes it tough to keep things in focus. I think I can see a few that are cloudy and there even seems to be a few amber, but mostly they seem clear. Oh well, we shall see.

Wanted to pass along a huge thank-you to everyone who contributed to the thread and helped out along the way. I learned a lot about not over-reacting to minor changes in the plant, keeping feed to a minimum and the importance of environment control (including ventilation). I've mixed my own soil for the next round and sent it off for analysis before I plant anything.

Picked up some goodies from OG Biowar, set up a AACT brewer and obtained some really amazing local compost and EWC. Fun times ahead.

View attachment 698002

View attachment 698001
my first grow was destroyed by fungus gnats you got me beat. lol looks good

Minitiger

Minitiger

Nugs can cure "on the vine" or whatever, too, so even if the trichomes are mostly clear/cloudy when you chop, they might amber up on you while they're sitting in that brown paper bag. Or maybe they won't, I dunno. Either way, I'm sure you'll love the smoke.

What was your rationale behind letting the pots completely dry out between waterings at the end of flower? I feel like the less stress, the better, although I've also read plenty about how people think that stressing plants at the end of the flower cycle might increase trichome production. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. But I like to just keep things as they've been throughout flower and let the plant finish up when it seems like it wants to finish up.

"Forcing" the plants to do anything sounds to me like... I dunno. I don't like being forced to do anything, so I treat my plants the same way: naturally. Haha! Or something.

Larry.G

Larry.G

Nugs can cure "on the vine" or whatever, too, so even if the trichomes are mostly clear/cloudy when you chop, they might amber up on you while they're sitting in that brown paper bag. Or maybe they won't, I dunno. Either way, I'm sure you'll love the smoke.

What was your rationale behind letting the pots completely dry out between waterings at the end of flower? I feel like the less stress, the better, although I've also read plenty about how people think that stressing plants at the end of the flower cycle might increase trichome production. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. But I like to just keep things as they've been throughout flower and let the plant finish up when it seems like it wants to finish up.

"Forcing" the plants to do anything sounds to me like... I dunno. I don't like being forced to do anything, so I treat my plants the same way: naturally. Haha! Or something.

Good info about the trichomes continuing to "ripen" during drying/cure.

I was letting them dry out because I read something on the forums talking about trying to time the harvest date so it lands at the end of a dry cycle. Seems needlessly complicated and won't be doing that again.

chronic68

chronic68

Good info about the trichomes continuing to "ripen" during drying/cure.

I was letting them dry out because I read something on the forums talking about trying to time the harvest date so it lands at the end of a dry cycle. Seems needlessly complicated and won't be doing that again.
i usually just pick of the big fan leaves and hang them till the stems snap instead of break and then jars p.s. there is nothing better than glass for curing i see so many ppl and dispensaries grow great weed and then dry it out to a powder and ruin it using plastic bags or something else stupid.

Top Bottom