Bog Bubble W/ Cree Leds - Old School, New School

• Thread starter Larry.G
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Leew421

Leew421

Do you think co2 would be cost effective in such a small grow? Ive never used it so idk but i personally wouldnt worry about it
I think so. Set it at 1100ppm and you will swap tanks every 5-7 days. You are simulating a co2 charged breeze. You can actually hit higher Temps safer too

Larry.G

Larry.G

Flowering, Day 21: Budlets and colas begin to form!
Very exciting. Day 21 of flower and she's finally looking like a real plant. At the beginning of day 14 of flower, I pruned about half a dozen (maybe more) thin, spindly bud stems that seemed to spring up from every node below the canopy. Left all healthy fan leaves alone but pulled the damaged/wilted ones. I tried to ensure the number of sources of energy on the plant outnumbered the number of sinks, to help the plant focus all it's energy on developing the big flowers. I think it worked well.

Slow and steady:
The basic care routine has no dramatic changes. Watering with distilled water every few days, never letting the soil get fully dry. Cree LEDs are at 100% power, temps now range from 70-80 during the day and 65-70 during night. Humidity hovers around 40-50RH. I'm feeding with Better Organix K+Amino and Flower little less than half strength every watering (about 5ml per 3l of water)... I'm throwing in a tsp of Kelp food every other watering when I remember.

Plants are in 3 gal root-makers. I've applied almost all the advice I've received here (minus the Co2 recommendation, which I'd like to do but can't really settle on a reasonable solution for such a small tent...) and can't thank you guys enough for sticking with me through this.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts.

Day 21 Flowering Photos:

Flower day 21 wide

Flower day 21 a

Flower day 21 b

Flower day 21 c

Flower day 21 d

Flower day 21 e

chronic68

chronic68

Very exciting. Day 21 of flower and she's finally looking like a real plant. At the beginning of day 14 of flower, I pruned about half a dozen (maybe more) thin, spindly bud stems that seemed to spring up from every node below the canopy. Left all healthy fan leaves alone but pulled the damaged/wilted ones. I tried to ensure the number of sources of energy on the plant outnumbered the number of sinks, to help the plant focus all it's energy on developing the big flowers. I think it worked well.

Slow and steady:
The basic care routine has no dramatic changes. Watering with distilled water every few days, never letting the soil get fully dry. Cree LEDs are at 100% power, temps now range from 70-80 during the day and 65-70 during night. Humidity hovers around 40-50RH. I'm feeding with Better Organix K+Amino and Flower little less than half strength every watering (about 5ml per 3l of water)... I'm throwing in a tsp of Kelp food every other watering when I remember.

Plants are in 3 gal root-makers. I've applied almost all the advice I've received here (minus the Co2 recommendation, which I'd like to do but can't really settle on a reasonable solution for such a small tent...) and can't thank you guys enough for sticking with me through this.

Day 21 Flowering Photos:

View attachment 683287

View attachment 683282

View attachment 683283

View attachment 683284

View attachment 683285

View attachment 683286
Looking really good keep it up

Cultivate420

Cultivate420

Slow and steady:

Day 21 Flowering Photos:

View attachment 683287

View attachment 683282

View attachment 683283

View attachment 683284

View attachment 683285

View attachment 683286

Good work, keep us up to date. Loving those Cree LED's did you buy them or build them?
Cheers happy gardening

Larry.G

Larry.G

Looking really good keep it up

Thanks!

Them knuckles.. Nice. The Cree LEDs work best within 30 inches of the canopy.

Love them knuckles too! Keeping the Cree LEDs within 12 inches of canopy.

Good work, keep us up to date. Loving those Cree LED's did you buy them or build them?
Cheers happy gardening

Bought it pre-assembled from the guys at Timber. Amazing guys, answered all my questions like absolute professionals.

Larry.G

Larry.G

Day 31 - Bulking up, but yellowing fan leaves mid-plant:
Buds seem to be fattening up now that we are four weeks into flower, but the past seven days has seen some significant color changes in my tent. Almost every large fan leaf in the middle of the plant (not the ones on the bottom or very top) has yellowed (chlorosis) with deep purple stems and veins and tiny burnt tips. A few have necrotic spots.

I know that a yellowing of fan leaves is supposed to happen towards the end of flowering and BOG Bubble is supposed to be a fast-finishing strain, but I don't know if this is normal at this point in the game. I'm not too worried since the bud sites and sugar leaves surrounding the buds are still green - it's just the large fan leaves that seem to be fading.

Nutrient Deficiency from Underfeeding or PH Lockout?
If this is a nutrient deficiency, I'm not sure if it's from me underfeeding (I've been feeding Better Organix Floret (3-0-8) at full strength every watering) or from lockout (either high PH or too much K?) I measured my runoff at 7.3PH. The past two waterings I've used citric acid to lower my water PH to about 5.0 but haven't noticed any significant color changes on the plant yet.

Let me know what you think.

First, some bud shots:

Flower day 31 a

Flower day 31 b

Flower day 31 c

Now some close-ups of the fan leaves in question:

Flower day 31 d

Flower day 31 e

Flower day 31 f

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Buds seem to be fattening up now that we are four weeks into flower, but the past seven days has seen some significant color changes in my tent. Almost every large fan leaf in the middle of the plant (not the ones on the bottom or very top) has yellowed (chlorosis) with deep purple stems and veins and tiny burnt tips. A few have necrotic spots.

I know that a yellowing of fan leaves is supposed to happen towards the end of flowering and BOG Bubble is supposed to be a fast-finishing strain, but I don't know if this is normal at this point in the game. I'm not too worried since the bud sites and sugar leaves surrounding the buds are still green - it's just the large fan leaves that seem to be fading.

If this is a nutrient deficiency, I'm not sure if it's from me underfeeding (I've been feeding Better Organix Floret (3-0-8) at full strength every watering) or from lockout (either high PH or too much K?) I measured my runoff at 7.3PH. The past two waterings I've used citric acid to lower my water PH to about 5.0 but haven't noticed any significant color changes on the plant yet.

First, some bud shots:

View attachment 687568

View attachment 687569

View attachment 687570

View attachment 687571

View attachment 687572

View attachment 687573
Looks like Mg deficiency, chech the first chart in my sig link. A foliar spray at lights out of a spray bottle full of water with a few teaspoons of epsom salts well mixed in will help with that.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
The purple petoiles could be phosphorous or magnesium deficiency, I would get a better three part nutrient regimine.

chronic68

chronic68

First, some bud shots:

View attachment 687568

View attachment 687569

View attachment 687570

View attachment 687571

View attachment 687572

View attachment 687573
it looks like a lil bit of cal-mag and light burn to me. raise you lights and add some more cal-mag http://www.growweedeasy.com/marijuana-symptoms-pictures here is a link to a great resource for new growers its a bunch of deficiency with pictures of the leaves i like to print them out and hang em on the wall for quick reference.

Larry.G

Larry.G

Looks like Mg deficiency, chech the first chart in my sig link. A foliar spray at lights out of a spray bottle full of water with a few teaspoons of epsom salts well mixed in will help with that.

Agree on the Mag deficiency. Thanks. Will address in my next post.

The purple petoiles could be phosphorous or magnesium deficiency, I would get a better three part nutrient regimine.

Agree. Thanks for the heads-up!

it looks like a lil bit of cal-mag and light burn to me. raise you lights and add some more cal-mag http://www.growweedeasy.com/marijuana-symptoms-pictures here is a link to a great resource for new growers its a bunch of deficiency with pictures of the leaves i like to print them out and hang em on the wall for quick reference.

Chronic - I think you're right. I'll talk about the cal and mag issues that I tried to address. Thanks!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Keep in mind that not all purpling of petioles or branches is due to a K or P defish. Lots of genetics will present this color. I do agree with all that it looks like a Mg issue with the leaves.

And the only reason I share that is so you don't go hellz bellz and hit them with a ton of nutes. Do the foliar as suggested with epsom and see if that addresses your concerns.

As mentioned be sure to foliar at lights out. If mag is the issue you should see a response within 24/48 hrs.

Larry.G

Larry.G

Day 38 - Great smells, challenging leaves...

Good news first: Full-on, extra-strong, GRAPE BUBBLEGUM SMELL is here!!
I've read all those grow reports where people describe the smell of their plants as granola, bubble gum, spice, etc. but until now all the weed I've ever touched smelled like, well, weed. Dank skunky, smelly, weed. In fact, this grow was partly an attempt to dispel my skepticism about the potential smells of marijuana and find a plant that actually smelled like something other than a dead, wet skunk (which is why I chose BOG Bubble.)

I can't believe it, but I am here to announce that this lady wreaks of grape bazooka Joe. It's almost unsettling! Throughout the grow I noticed that this plant had a very distinct floral smell while the others smelled like more traditional skunky weed. This is why I selected her from the group and kept her going - I was hoping that it might be the bubblegum pheno and although I have no idea how she'll taste, she definitely wreaks of bubblegum. Very fun.

A challenge keeping her leaves green.
Last post I mentioned that some of the middle leaves were yellowing with inter-veinal chlorosis. Some folks here mentioned it looked like magnesium or calcium deficiency (with possible P deficiency based on the purple stems). Every day since my last post the yellowing got slightly worse and spread to new growth with some necro spots/burnt tips.

The runoff was a little high at 7.3-7.5 so my plan was to try and reduce stress on the plant as much as possible and correct the deficiency.

I dimmed the lights down to 35 watts/sqft. (I find that dimming the lights slows the progress of any problems and gives me time to react.)
I added some extra ventilation to keep daytime temperatures at 80 and below. They were creeping to 83/84.
I PH'd my distilled water down to 6.0 (citric acid) and added 4-4-4- organic nutes.

Yesterday, I watered with 2 ml/Gal of Cal-mg+ and within 24 hours noticed a difference in overall plant health. Photos below were taken 24 hours after the first feeding of Cal-Mg+ so you might not notice, but I think I'm going to continue feeding Cal-Mg until finish.

Lessons learned.
Next grow I'm going to have my soil mix tested to ensure that the nutrients are available before I begin so that I'm not playing this guessing game.

Also, I noticed that in the beginning when my plants started yellowing in solo cups, I up-potted them to 1 gal containers and the yellowing went away immediately. After a few weeks, they yellowed again and I up-potted them to 3 gal root-makers and again, the yellowing went away. Then they yellowed after a few weeks of flowering but I didn't have the room for 5 gal pots.

Could it be that the plant is just burning through the calcium/magnesium and since I'm using distilled water - I really do need to supplement? Probably hard making this call without a soil sample, but makes sense. I've been hesitant to supplement cal-mag because of all the posts about how it's unnecessary and really just an issue with PH locking those nutes out, but my runoff is now down to 7.0, so I think these plants just tear through calcium.

Enjoy the photos! Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, appreciate them all.

Flower day 38 a

Flower day 38 b

Flower day 38 c

Flower day 38 d

Flower day 38 e

Flower day 38 f

Flower day 38 g

Larry.G

Larry.G

Keep in mind that not all purpling of petioles or branches is due to a K or P defish. Lots of genetics will present this color. I do agree with all that it looks like a Mg issue with the leaves.

And the only reason I share that is so you don't go hellz bellz and hit them with a ton of nutes. Do the foliar as suggested with epsom and see if that addresses your concerns.

As mentioned be sure to foliar at lights out. If mag is the issue you should see a response within 24/48 hrs.

I didn't mention this in my long post above, but I did foliar at lights out with epsom and noticed greening within 24 hours - that's what tipped me off to try the cal-mag. Thanks!

jipp

jipp

is there a reason one should do the epson /foliar spray at night? i used that on a plant i starved because i did not know my soil did not have enough food.. anyhow, i did not know i should of did it at night.. but it worked.. she came back to life.

chris.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I didn't mention this in my long post above, but I did foliar at lights out with epsom and noticed greening within 24 hours - that's what tipped me off to try the cal-mag. Thanks!
Looks like they could use a few more foliar sprayings, they are looking like theyre turning around for the better.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
is there a reason one should do the epson /foliar spray at night? i used that on a plant i starved because i did not know my soil did not have enough food.. anyhow, i did not know i should of did it at night.. but it worked.. she came back to life.

chris.
If you foliar spray a plant with the powerful grow lights on every little water droplet will act like a tiny magnifying glass and burn spots on your leaves but not show up until weeks later. Then you would have a thread in the infirmary named something like weird brown spots, help!

jipp

jipp

If you foliar spray a plant with the powerful grow lights on every little water droplet will act like a tiny magnifying glass and burn spots on your leaves but not show up until weeks later. Then you would have a thread in the infirmary named something like weird brown spots, help!

laughs, yeah we no need anymore issues popping up if i can help it.. one bug was enough for my heart. lol.
thank you.

chris.

Top Bottom