Bokashi

• Thread starter Savage Henry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Savage Henry

Savage Henry

So a couple soil guys I know are mixing bokashi in with their soil mix to "feed the mycorrhizae" and their plants look spectacular.
So I started researching the subject and only found anecdotal evidence of people using it to quickly ferment compost which they then use in teas.
Was wondering if anyone uses it as an amendment in coco? Here's a link to the specific product I'm referring to: http://www.sobokashi.com/#!labels-and-application-rates/czb1

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Coco is usually seen as a soilless medium, if you wanted to incorporate bokashi and get the best results you would need something other than just coco for the Bokashi/Fungi to populate, I am sure it would happily populate the coco but I am unsure what it is that would be in Coco that would breakdown and be beneficial to your plants. I would say Coco would be a nice amendment to help drainage and promote aeration in a good organic soil mix that would include Bokashi among other things.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

@Canalchemist So it functions as a catalyst in breaking down organic materials, making them available as nutrients to the roots?
I'm running basically a half chem half organic nute mix in my Rez, DTW in straight coco. Every other week and at transplant I drench with a 0.5tsp/gal RO great white solution, working bi-weekly ACT drenches into the rotation as well.
Do you think having the bokashi present in the coco would help boost population of the micro herd?

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Do you think having the bokashi present in the coco would help boost population of the micro herd?

I do, I think it would, I have made my own Lactobacilli Enochulation, however I use it on my compost pile, I have read wonderful things about bokashi, the important part is what goes into the bokashi, is it all one thing or is it a mix? like all potato peel bokashi would have a lot of potassium and would favour flowering. This is one of the reasons I went back to the bottle, there are tons of products out there for organics growing but unless you are there either doing it yourself it is hard to guarantee if it is in fact a nice balance of all things.

So if you are adding bokashi and maintaining your microherd I would say the rhizosphere would benefit, one of the things to keep in mind is the fermentation process that creates "Bokashi" also creates highly acidic conditions, a pH of 3.5 - 4.5. So bear in mind that this is not only affecting the Nutrients but also the chemistry in the soil.

Rock On!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I believe, but don't hold me to this, that part of the point of bokashi is that you can throw in everything AND the kitchen sink, and end up with a safe and usable composted product.

I would say that if you're going to boost microbial populations to that degree, be sure to give them enough to eat. That means you're skipping the soluble fertilizers for the most part and leaning more towards things that actually need to be broken down before being made plant-available. Soil provides these minerals in their microbe-available forms, and so adding something like bokashi makes a lot more sense in soil than in coir. You can, of course, add back many of these things, especially the rock dusts that provide many minerals, to your coir mix, but then it becomes a lot more like soil and that can change how you have to treat it. I found that adding worm castings and rice hulls and handling nutrition through feeding was a lot easier as well as more precise.

If you'd like to try something both quicker and easier, try adding humic or fulvic acids to your fertilizer regimen. You'll probably find that you need to reduce overall feeding by about one third.

Are you new to growing in coir? My #1 advice is to make absolutely sure those plants are getting Ca from the very beginning, otherwise once you see a deficiency all you can do is play catch-up.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Thanks ya'll for the input, it's greatly appreciated.
@Seamaiden been in coir about 5 years now, just always looking for a new angle. My root aphid battle this past year got me looped on the living rhizosphere mindset, but the more you add to coco the closer it gets to soil...
@Canalchemist I suppose if I added the bokashi I'd have to raise my ph significantly higher than the usual 5.8-6.3 to compensate, may cause more harm then good while I figure it out. One of these years I'll build a room strictly for R&D.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

That's a good Idea, Organic is a great thing, I respect those who do it, it is an art that can manifest in may ways.

B

Bokashi Kid

Hi Growers,
I have to tell you first hand that Bokashi does everything it says. I first heard about it 3 years ago from a guy on GrassCity that is heavy into organic growing. I picked up a bucket and some Bokashi and use all my kitchen scraps. The microbial tea produced and the final bokashi compost have been staples in my grows ever since, with incredible results. Less water, less nutes, healthy strong growth, amazing blooms and aromas. It's definitely a game changer.

keiksweat

keiksweat

Hi Growers,
I have to tell you first hand that Bokashi does everything it says. I first heard about it 3 years ago from a guy on GrassCity that is heavy into organic growing. I picked up a bucket and some Bokashi and use all my kitchen scraps. The microbial tea produced and the final bokashi compost have been staples in my grows ever since, with incredible results. Less water, less nutes, healthy strong growth, amazing blooms and aromas. It's definitely a game changer.
pics,never..you know the rest.lol.

H

Heffa420

I have grown with bokashi before, not in coco but in claypebbles. I'v made my bokashi of mostly tomatos, and lord and behold the weed had a slight taste of tomatos. Cant say it is better but im going to experiment with my next grow. Im gonna try a grow in soil with fertilizers and bokashi. Happy farming😀

Latest posts

Top Bottom