Botched manifold attempt, cut off growth tips...

• Thread starter Hilfloskind
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hilfloskind

Thank you, very helpful!!! Looks really well trimmed and focused.

H

Hilfloskind

Quick update! I think that tip is getting a little bigger...check it out:

IMG 20220321 184515
IMG 20220321 184528
H

Hilfloskind

What I think I'm going to do is wait two more days. Since three out of four are all in the same situation, if I don't see any significant growth from now until then, I am popping 4 more. I have one plant which is actually really interesting and clearly has a growth mutation. Since I didn't mess her up, I'm gonna find a corner for her and let her slowly veg in a corner while four new babies catch up. Now that I have worked out rookie mistakes and climate control, I can probably get new girls close to where these ones were in just a few weeks. I'll keep this girl out of the Autopot system and just hand water her until harvest.

Here's my freaky Diesel freebie:

IMG 20220321 184209
IMG 20220321 184305
IMG 20220321 184241
IMG 20220321 184336
H

Hilfloskind

With only my freaky Diesel mutant still healthy and strong since topping. All things considered, I've decided to pop 3 new seeds and start over other than the Diesel plant, which I intend to keep growing. She grew with no apical dominance and essentially self topped, now one of her sides has since split into a Y.

Therein lies the rub: how to I manage the canopy and training? For context, below are pics of Diesel as of last night. After being topped to the third node, she has again split into a solid Y on the left side of the node, with a bushy single branch on the right.

My initial thought is to continue with a manifold for her as best as possible, or at minimum LST down these growth stems to slow the vertical growth. At the same time, once the new babies are out of the humidity dome for propagation, I will be lowering the light intensity significantly and would imagine that will help slow Diesel down further while the new girls catch up. Additionally, to keep from slowing the new girls down, I will only top those once at the 6th node and LST the remaining time until I can put up a SCROG net.

Thoughts on my plan or suggestions?

Xhale

Xhale

once the new babies are out of the humidity dome for propagation,
be careful. I don't think that seeds need a humidity dome. Someone else can also chip in their thoughts here.

to keep from slowing the new girls down, I will only top those once at the 6th node
I'd suggest that you stick with this overall plan. however, you can actually speed up growth quite a lot:
1. your environment needs to be 100%
2. lollipop regularly. allow a good canpoy of 4 leaves, then chop of the bottom 2. allow 4 leaves, chop the bottom 2. rinse, repeat until she's at the correct size.
3. don't do it on this grow.

Here's a video from 3 weeks ago...I'm going to update the thread later today with new vids. it's outdoors.
There are 2 videos showing how I pruned 2of my plants. I planted them on 1 September (our spring day) and started the Lollipop in late December then got aggressive towards the end of Jan until mid February.
I also messed up a little as I was too aggresive into mid-Feb:( my new tactic is to be aggressive from late December till late January...also watching the plant carefully for signs of stretching. the fault in my opinion is that I was pruning while the plant (in 2nd video) was stretching...I should have stopped before that point.
I think that tip is getting a little bigger...check it out:
and GREATEST NEWS! that is indeed a branch site. Glad I called it :) I would cut the 1 leaf immediately above it then let it grow. Her roots and stem should be very well developed so she should take off like a rocket soon. then stick to the same plan you mentioned: treat this branch like the main stem and top at node 4or6.

H

Hilfloskind

suggest that you stick with this overall plan. however, you can actually speed up growth quite a lot:
1. your environment needs to be 100%
2. lollipop regularly. allow a good canpoy of 4 leaves, then chop of the bottom 2. allow 4 leaves, chop the bottom 2. rinse, repeat until she's at the correct size.
3. don't do it on this grow.
So lollipop like you said or DON'T lollipop as mentioned in #3?

And GREATEST NEWS! that is indeed a branch site. Glad I called it :) I would cut the 1 leaf immediately above it then let it grow. Her roots and stem should be very well developed so she should take off like a rocket soon. then stick to the same plan you mentioned: treat this branch like the main stem and top at node 4or6.

And there is the issue...even if that is a new growth, I now have 3 seeds 12+ hours soaking in water which will be moved to paper towels for germination to complete later today.

Xhale

Xhale

To Lollipop or not; how brave, impatient, paranoid are you? Lol. That’s the best answer I can give.

this plant will probably outpace the rest by 3-5 weeks. Do you have a cupboard or elsewhere to flip her while the newbies catch-up?

H

Hilfloskind

To Lollipop or not; how brave, impatient, paranoid are you? Lol. That’s the best answer I can give.

this plant will probably outpace the rest by 3-5 weeks. Do you have a cupboard or elsewhere to flip her while the newbies catch-up?

Unfortunately not. My thought was to continue relatively higher stress training on her (manifold, lollipopping) since it slows growth due to recovery times. All the while, lowering the light intensity from 75% down to 25-50% as required by the new seedlings. My thought is that the combination of those factors and doing only LST on the new 3 should narrow the gap considerably.

Any reason I should be concerned about dropping light intensity like this with the existing plant already so far into veg?

Also, would it make sense to make a single topping on the right side of the Diesel plant and continue with whatever manifold shape comes from both the manual and automatic topping points?

For reference, here are pics of the right side stalk. I've circled the terminal points where the single branch splits into numerous growth tips and shoots.

IMG 20220323 0646492

IMG 20220323 0647132

IMG 20220323 0647482

IMG 20220323 0648022

Bonus shots of the three murder victims shooting out small new growths...

Bubba Kush
IMG 20220323 0649072

Peanut Butter Cookies hanging by a string...
IMG 20220323 0649222

Purple Punch attempts to show her quality
IMG 20220323 0649282

Last edited:
Xhale

Xhale

concrned about dropping light intensity like this with the existing plant already so far into veg?
I'm not an indoor grower with this level of experience.
regarding "so far into veg", I can say that indoor/greenhouse growers can play as much as you want with veg because you can time the flip into flower. reading other threads in this forum, I see that the real danger is vegging a plant too big for your tent/room because they will stretch into your lights/roof. so you could play as much as you want while keeping the height in mind.

Bonus shots of the three murder victims shooting out small new growths...
FANTASTIC! now you have too much on your hands ;) this is always a good problem...until the boyz in blue catch you. I'm lucky, our country does not yet have the legal framework for a number of plants...they are still passing the policies/laws. The only rule is: we are allowed to grow for personal and private *adult* consumption without any financial benefit/transaction. so I can grow, give my friends, but they cannot pay me anything. but they buy me lunch/drinks of their own accord.

H

Hilfloskind

Agreed on prohibition. I'm thankfully in a legal state and can grow my own crops without any fear of repercussions. There are ways for home growers to also "sell" here in this state (dispensaries haven't yet opened, despite legalization passing a year ago), but it's technically gifting and of course lawmakers are frantically trying to put in laws against gifting/donations for cannabis. Capitalists gotta capitalize!

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I always start my seeds in a dome. Once they break soil the dome gets removed but prior to that it's almost necessary to keep the soil moist and RH at 80%. I think you are overthinking this a little too much :)

If one plant is too tall = top it or LST it. If other plants are too short, then don't train or top at all. Pretty simple process.

H

Hilfloskind

I always start my seeds in a dome. Once they break soil the dome gets removed but prior to that it's almost necessary to keep the soil moist and RH at 80%. I think you are overthinking this a little too much :)

If one plant is too tall = top it or LST it. If other plants are too short, then don't train or top at all. Pretty simple process.
I definitely use a dome and seedling mat for germination.

As far as your second point, is there a point where continuing to top or defoliate Diesel to keep her lower while they catch up damaging? I assume there has to be a careful hand when pruning to keep height under control.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I definitely use a dome and seedling mat for germination.

As far as your second point, is there a point where continuing to top or defoliate Diesel to keep her lower while they catch up damaging? I assume there has to be a careful hand when pruning to keep height under control.

There's no strict guideline. One of my plants in my closet was getting taller than all of the others so I topped all of the nodes that were "above" the others down to the point where the new branches/tops line up with the tops coming out of the rest of the plants. More epic MS paint skills incoming.

If this plant was already topped and it had 2, or 3, or 4 branches that were growing taller than everything else they would ALL get topped at a point where the new branches are matching up with the tops on your other plants.

When you top a plant you tend to set back it's vertical growth by about a week - this gives your other plants that time to catch up in height. Topping these other small plants would defeat the purpose of trying to slow down the bigger one.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

With only my freaky Diesel mutant still healthy and strong since topping. All things considered, I've decided to pop 3 new seeds and start over other than the Diesel plant, which I intend to keep growing. She grew with no apical dominance and essentially self topped, now one of her sides has since split into a Y.

Therein lies the rub: how to I manage the canopy and training? For context, below are pics of Diesel as of last night. After being topped to the third node, she has again split into a solid Y on the left side of the node, with a bushy single branch on the right.

My initial thought is to continue with a manifold for her as best as possible, or at minimum LST down these growth stems to slow the vertical growth. At the same time, once the new babies are out of the humidity dome for propagation, I will be lowering the light intensity significantly and would imagine that will help slow Diesel down further while the new girls catch up. Additionally, to keep from slowing the new girls down, I will only top those once at the 6th node and LST the remaining time until I can put up a SCROG net.

Thoughts on my plan or suggestions?
Well, the basic plan is to slow down the older plant to let the new ones catch up. I'd do that with a combination of less fertilizer and less light to the older one. Less fertilizer is easy enough. Just be sure to ramp back up slowly later on. For lighting, I'd simply put the smaller plants on some sort of stools or risers to get them considerably closer to the light. If they always have 6-12 inches less distance, things should even out in a couple of weeks? Still, the older one is likely to have a bigger root system and grow bigger or faster than the others once given equal conditions.

Top Bottom