Botrytis and Coco

• Thread starter Jack Dupp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

Hey Farmers,

This is more a question for the vets who have grown in different mediums before choosing coco. Have you noticed an increase in the number of times you have had Botrytis (Grey mold) when grown in coco, over another medium?

I started in soil, moved to DWC, aero, organics, then coco. In my crops grown in coco I have fought PM and now Botrytis, almost every time.

I have taken into consideration that I could have picked up the spores and not completely eliminated them out of my grow, and since I have only grown in coco for the last few years, it would seem that I only get problems in coco. But am wondering if something is piggy-backing into my grow. The last couple bags of coco I purchased I have found clover sprouts in it.

I also understand that there are many factors that contribute to plant illness. I am trying to pin down each.

Thanks in advance for input.

J

Jalisco Kid

Since I started using 2 sulfur burns during flowering and floral sprays of K silicate I have stopped getting grey mold in my buds. If my buds are grapefruit size I also open them up with a leather needle to help get circulation around the bud and to tighten and green up the bud. JK

J

Jalisco Kid

Its not a process really,it is just something I noticed doing something else.I learned that I messed up a lot of trics inspecting my buds, so I grabbed a large needle and used that to pull the buds down and out and not mess up my future hash. In going thru my buds looking for mold I noticed the buds I inspected days earlier were firmer drier to the touch(when I first open them they feel like goo balls). Also when you pull a lime sized bud down and out the inside is white from lack of light. I just start at the bottom 2/3 of a plant and work my way up the branch.
If you ever run into mold really disinfect that needle as you can pass it to a lot of buds.
JK

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

jack do you think it could be the change in environment? I know that all of my friends have a difficult time getting rid of molds on the coast. Just an idea

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

Jalisco Kid - Thanks for the tip. That is brilliant.

sanvan - I think I just have the perfect storm for Grey Mold. Had big time rain storms here for a while. Had trouble stabilizing temp and humidity. Also this is the first time I have run Canna nutes. It may be too strong at 10 ml per gal. I've read that heavy nute doses stretch the tissue of the plant similar to a water-balloon, and it allows pathogens to enter more easily.

This is the first time I have dealt with Botrytis and have been sterilizing my rooms and cutting out buds for the last 4 days.

For the record - I have used the following for fighting the Grey Mold.
1) Raw (unpasteurized) milk and water - No effect
2) Baking soda and water - no effect
3) ISO (rubbing alcohol) and water - this works the best 50/50 mix.
4) Serenade - Works okay, smells up the place.

I hope this helps.

Georgekush22

Georgekush22

I always lower my humidity progressively as I go through flowering and have never had any issues in doing so. Also if you already have it in you're buds its going to keep spreading eating you're kohlas from the inside out. As bad as it is to say I know people who have dealt with this kind of shit and the best thing to do is cut everything down asap, cut all the parts infected out and dry ur nugs in an area with low humidity and make sure you're nuggets are bone dry b4 you jar. Getting something out of all ur hard work is always better than nothing. Hope that helps.

Georgekush22

Georgekush22

Btw, on another note if humidity is frequently an issue u should do some research and find urself some strains that are mold resistant, plants that produce more condensed nugs such as most indicas are more prone to it.

M

moodster

i keep getting it in my top main buds im gonna start spraying them with plant magic

accent

accent

i've not noticed botrytis grows more in coco than other media. how's your airflow jack?

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

I always lower my humidity progressively as I go through flowering and have never had any issues in doing so. Also if you already have it in you're buds its going to keep spreading eating you're kohlas from the inside out. As bad as it is to say I know people who have dealt with this kind of shit and the best thing to do is cut everything down asap, cut all the parts infected out and dry ur nugs in an area with low humidity and make sure you're nuggets are bone dry b4 you jar. Getting something out of all ur hard work is always better than nothing. Hope that helps.

Yes, I spent a good part of the week cutting out damaged buds and applying ISO with a Q-Tip to the effected areas. I have a whole cookie sheet full of moldy buds. I have read you can still make BHO with these, but need to research more. Will isolate these for now.

This is the first time with this. Definitely a learning experience

As for mildew resistant strains, I was looking into Hashberry from Mandela. Other than that, I will just focus on prevention.

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

i've not noticed botrytis grows more in coco than other media. how's your airflow jack?

Hi accent. I have good airflow from a 6" in-line pulling through my light hood. Two more fans in there to circulate.

I'm thinking that my problem lies in the room I have my tent in. The window of the room is leaking into the house. Once I found and fixed it, there was noticeable moisture in the whole upper floor where my tent is.

I also continued to water all the plants in the tent, even if they were still very damp, every day. Big mistake. Once I noticed the mold, I stopped watering for a few days. The top layer started drying out, and I was hitting the plants with an ISO/water foliar every day.

The Tahoes were culled from the tent and what I could salvage is drying. I still have some OJ's Haze in there that are doing really well now after cutting and spraying. The humidity is much lower now that we have had some clear days without rain, so I could air the place out.

Thanks for stopping by.

Georgekush22

Georgekush22

Yes, I spent a good part of the week cutting out damaged buds and applying ISO with a Q-Tip to the effected areas. I have a whole cookie sheet full of moldy buds. I have read you can still make BHO with these, but need to research more. Will isolate these for now.

This is the first time with this. Definitely a learning experience

As for mildew resistant strains, I was looking into Hashberry from Mandela. Other than that, I will just focus on prevention.

There is nothing that says you cant make bho with the moldy nugget, but the mold spores are still going to be in the bho, same goes with PM. Just thought I would give u a heads up so u know what u are getting urself into, otherwise, I wish u the best of luck on you're future endeavors.

entropy99

entropy99

Perhaps you should look into dehumidification methods if high humidity is an ongoing problem. Letting the weather decide what sort of climate you have in your room isn't how you want to operate. You want as close to possible having total climate control of your growspace.

J

Jalisco Kid

If you have it 35% peroxide works better then Alcohol. And in that list you can add penetrator/zone which does not add much flavor.

Top Bottom