Bottom Feeding Project

• Thread starter dwood
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dwood

dwood

Looking for a little insight. Doin a project using 5 gal buckets, kErick mini float valves, net pots. Coco coir,pro mix bx, perlite, happy frog fruit and vegitable, general organic calmag and water.....lol.

Ok created a earthbox from two five gallon buckets. I am wondering about my mix for medium. I am taking two scoops of pro mix to one scoop of coco, plus 1 scoop of perlite and 60ml of happy frog per 5 gal bucket, is this good mix or not. Adding calmag to res.

carBon.14

carBon.14

not sure i'm quite understanding your plans. you're doing a flood and drain type op? if so, better to use inert media rather than soil and feed with nutes in the solution.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Looking for a little insight. Doin a project using 5 gal buckets, kErick mini float valves, net pots. Coco coir,pro mix bx, perlite, happy frog fruit and vegitable, general organic calmag and water.....lol.

Ok created a earthbox from two five gallon buckets. I am wondering about my mix for medium. I am taking two scoops of pro mix to one scoop of coco, plus 1 scoop of perlite and 60ml of happy frog per 5 gal bucket, is this good mix or not. Adding calmag to res.
Use an Orchud medium and water it like an orchid

dwood

dwood

Sorry, i wasnt clear.
The system I am creating is based on the earthbox. However, I am using 2, 5 gallon buckets. Earthbox and my system are based on capillary watering. In which the water is drawn up from the bottom and spread throughout the bucket. It is not a flood and drain system.
The reason for my question of using coco and promix. I know coco is very absorbent and promix is very airey. The promix and perlite should allow the buckets to dry and recieve air. While the coco is doing the opposite, gathering moisture from what I call the water bucket. Which is attached to a res feeding water and calmag or whatever I putin it.
I hope this is a better explanation. I dont know what type of medium orchids use, cause I have never grown one. However, I truely appreciate your answer.

blazedahaze

blazedahaze

@dwood, If you are using an earthbox or "global bucket" you need to be using a peat based mix such as the following bagged planting mixes... I would personally not use a mix of coco coir and pro-mix like you are planning.. Your best bet is to use 60% of one of the planting mixes below, NOT an orchid mix like mentioned above, and 40% perlite and/or vermiculite, approximately 1 lb. of dolomite, a little azomite, top dress with compost, guano, or whatever floats your boat when it is needed..

Lambert Potting Mix
Lambert 100% Organic Potting Mix
Jeffā€™s Natural Solutions All Organic Growing mix
Premier Horticulture Pro-Mix BX
Premier Horticulture Pro-Mix for Potting & Seeding
Premier Horticulture Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic Mix
Premier Horticulture Bio-Max Garden Mix 3-in-1
Premier Horticulture LiteWay Potting Soil
Espoma Organic Potting Mix
Fox Farm Happy Frog Potting Soil
Jungle Growth Flower & Vegetable Professional Mix
Jungle Growth Pure Organic Potting Mix
Scottā€™s Miracle-Gro Potting Mix
Scottā€™s Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix
Fafard All Purpose Potting Mix
Fafard Container Mix
E.B. Stone Organics Ednaā€™s Best Potting Soil
E.B. Stone Organics Flower & Vegetable Planting Mix
Kellogg Championā€™s Blend Premium Potting Soil
Kellogg Premium Potting Soil
EKO Compost Premium All-Purpose Potting Mix
EKO Compost Premium Outdoor Planting Mix
ASB Greenworld Original Grower Mix
ASB Greenworld Original Grower Mix with Perlite
ASB Greenworld Professional Seed & Plug Mix
Baccto Professional Planting Mix
Baccto Lite Premium Potting Soil
Gardner & Bloom Blue Ribbon Blend Premium Potting Soil
Ferti-lome Ultimate Potting Mix
Sun Gro Horticulture Metro Mix Potting Medium (350, 360...)
Black Gold Seedling Mix
Black Gold Natural & Organic Potting Soil
Sunshine Container Potting Mix
Sunshine Seed Starter Mix
Natureā€™s All Organic Potting Soil
SummerWinds Potting Soil

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Pro-Mix has coir in it, IIRC it's a mix of coir and peat. Just feed it like you're feeding any other Pro-Mix run. Pure perlite will work very well for you here, too.

dwood

dwood

Thanks Folks,
I have one plant that has done very well until flowering. She is in flower right now. However, I need to give more P. I was thinking of using a 3/4 inch pvc pipe creating a spike of guano's (Indonesian and Jamaican, roots organic seabird), kelp, Happy frog 555 for a little N, Epsom salt for mag. The roots is really for calcium. She is yellowing to fast right now. I have at least another month in flowering. She is filled with buds so I know she is eating hard.
however, I dont want her spending time on root regenration. I am a organic grower. What is your opinion

dwood

dwood

This is the system I been working on. It is all bottom feeding

2014 10 18 003205
Five gal bucket with a float valve

2014 10 18 003218
Plant bucket

2014 10 18 003305
Res container

2014 10 18 003314
Water circulation inside res container

2014 10 18 003326
some other plants connected to the same res

2014 10 18 003234

flowering problem child

these are not the greatest pictures. This plant has buds everywhere I need to give her a bloom booster plus other nutrients. She is yellowing way to early. So I created spikes using a 3/4 inch pvc pipe and push it through the root mass. To create a hole (4 holes) filled each hole with a mixture. I am trying not to use liquids since they might clog the tubing. what else can I do in order to add bloom booster

shaganja

shaganja

this is one pic i found of my 17 gallon. self watering air pot. using "octopot" design. have made a five gallon, a one gallon, and a red solo cup for babies. i use a composted soil. only use bottom tray for watering. i feed the nutrients from the top. the trays get nasty when nutrients sit in them. i really like the idea of the plants drinks as much or little as they need. its cool to see it happen too! now i can see who is really thirsty and who aint. gives me heads up on whos gonna be bigger etc... also lets me leave for a few days! lol

IMG 20190730 1701246
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
i use a 2 bucket set up with nute water in the bottom and a pump. but the same basic idea, mine uses a 4"net pot for the wicking and the screen over it and soil. however i avoid top feeding when using this setup.

OG

Latest posts

Top Bottom