Boveda question for the masses!!!

• Thread starter Fairytalez
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fairytalez

Fairytalez

Okkk so.. I'm sure this has been asked before. However!.. I.. have not asked it lol
SO! The big question is.. I have heard to use 62% for curing in a mason jar. And I have heard to use 58% instead. So I wanna know.. which ones do you guys prefer.. and.. WHY? What is it about the type YOU choose to use that makes your bud justtt right? What is it like in the end of your cure.. vise versa?
Okkk.. GO!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Okkk so.. I'm sure this has been asked before. However!.. I.. have not asked it lol
SO! The big question is.. I have heard to use 62% for curing in a mason jar. And I have heard to use 58% instead. So I wanna know.. which ones do you guys prefer.. and.. WHY? What is it about the type YOU choose to use that makes your bud justtt right? What is it like in the end of your cure.. vise versa?
Okkk.. GO!
both are good obviously one is slightly less humid..
big buds use 58..
smaller buds use 62..

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

both are good obviously one is slightly less humid..
big buds use 58..
smaller buds use 62..
Like.. which one do you think would give the same consistency as the bud that is professionally grown and sold to medical dispensaries?

rightweedofthefreeworld

rightweedofthefreeworld

use 62% here, between burping during curing, it keeps it just right where it needs to for a good smoke, though I've been vaping more and more

H

hawkman

now boveda makes Terpene packs that you can put in your jars to infuse it ( there about 10-13 different packs with different terpens\e's) there always has been a discussion on the packs taking away taste and aroma and they even mention this in their latest advertisement for their new product _For me the pack influence results in a negative way (after all these years of arguments' and discussions on resuts of packs they finaily came out with the truth !!)

sambapati

sambapati

A picture is worth a thousand words.
62 seems to popping up a lot here. Best value proposition product in the weed industry, but will Grow bags catch on with the 'curing' community is the big question. When they dry just brush them with distilled water and then repeat.

JeffWix67

JeffWix67

I prefer the 62%...I don't leave large buds on the stick...I cut them down into smaller pieces...my preference...so I used the 59% before and felt it was a bit dry.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Once you've sniffed a few jars at RH% between 60 and 70, you won't need Boveda's anymore. The nose knows.

Above 65% and you'll get a sharp odor, probably from ammonia or something.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

Honestly iv used boveda 62% only in the last year and from experience ONLY use after curing your buds don't cure with them... if you do be prepared to cure longer the buds retain there moister much longer and the point of curing is after drying you wanna revive the bud with the moisture that still remains in the center so it evenly distributes once again and boveda I find dosent let the bud off gas and its true when you add the packs after activation when you open a bag and wanna get punched with terpenes you will be let down since it shields apparently but I don't trust it but does affect smell..... but I'm not saying not to use them but only after around 3 weeks or so after curing and I find it dosent affect the lack of smell as much but makes you buds perfectly humid and quality won't diminish as fast

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

Honestly iv used boveda 62% only in the last year and from experience ONLY use after curing your buds don't cure with them... if you do be prepared to cure longer the buds retain there moister much longer and the point of curing is after drying you wanna revive the bud with the moisture that still remains in the center so it evenly distributes once again and boveda I find doesn't let the bud off gas and its true when you add the packs after activation when you open a bag and wanna get punched with terpenes you will be let down since it shields apparently but I don't trust it but does affect smell..... but I'm not saying not to use them but only after around 3 weeks or so after curing and I find it doesn't affect the lack of smell as much but makes you buds perfectly humid and quality won't diminish as fast
So like.. what I think I am understanding is that you're saying to like.. cure in a jar with no Boveda for 3 weeks.. burping as needed, and THEN add a Boveda pack to it for the rest of of the time? I thought the whole point of what everyone seems to be doing is just throwing a Boveda in there right after drying. I admit.. I don't know jack about curing yet but.. just hearing all kinds of different methods people are using. So you're saying that it will take away taste if I do just throw the stuff in the jar with a pack right after drying?

A picture is worth a thousand words.
I also wanted to ask you what you thought about those jar lids you're using. Are they a good buy? And also.. do you put the Boveda pack just on top.. right below the lid.. or do you put the pack like.. tucked into the side or something with the bud itself?

Thanks guys.. I need all the help I can get.

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

Oh and guys! I think you might wanna investigate a bit more on those curing bags. I've seen a bunch of bad reviews on them. Just thought ya might wanna look into them a bit more before you spend the money.

steamroller

steamroller

I dried by hanging for 5-7 days at 68f/50%RH in the grow room .
When they were 'dry' I jarred them with these '
Done properly you don't have to open the jar daily.
You watch the meter ....
Over 65% you open jar for a day or so.
50-65% you just let be ..
It is that simple .
I keep my jars in boxes so no light and in a 70f room.
After a couple of months [next harvest usually for me ] I place the cured in freezer and start over with new .
I'll add if I need to add moisture I would go old school myself and use a small carrot...

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

Cheak I don't want to sound like a douch but curing is like a art it's been practiced for who knows how long way before boveda packets and with experience and time it's perfected I can only imagine they were ment to either rehydrate to a certain extent or preserve and extend shelf life at a dispensary sitting in a jar for months or replenish moisture content from sticky fingers opening and closing the jar you may get the same results if you put the packs in from day 1 of curing but it's gonna take alot longer to cure and offgas and from my experience testing I only add after 3 weeks when I only burp once every few days

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

Cheak I don't want to sound like a douch but curing is like a art it's been practiced for who knows how long way before boveda packets and with experience and time it's perfected I can only imagine they were ment to either rehydrate to a certain extent or preserve and extend shelf life at a dispensary sitting in a jar for months or replenish moisture content from sticky fingers opening and closing the jar you may get the same results if you put the packs in from day 1 of curing but it's gonna take alot longer to cure and offgas and from my experience testing I only add after 3 weeks when I only burp once every few days
I was thinking maybe about getting those burping lids to put on my wide mouth jars. But throw a Boveda 62% in there. And also have one of those little mini hygrometers in there so I can monitor. That way.. I am still burping the proper amount, and monitoring as need be. How does that sound?

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

use 62% here, between burping during curing, it keeps it just right where it needs to for a good smoke, though I've been vaping more and more
Hey.. I'm assuming that you put them in on day one after drying. Do you find it takes away any flavor or smell using them from day one?

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

I was thinking maybe about getting those burping lids to put on my wide mouth jars. But throw a Boveda 62% in there. And also have one of those little mini hygrometers in there so I can monitor. That way.. I am still burping the proper amount, and monitoring as need be. How does that sound?
Sounds good but I typically hang dry whole and can judge the perfect time to bag and cure so I know the humidity and how the process is curing by smell and other signs I'll know to burp more or less and how to proceed at the days and weeks go on and when I have a nice clean smooth smoke with all the chlorophyll and sugars leached out boveda packs go in to just preserve and maintain moisture at the end of the day if you don't find the answers here you could always do half with packs and half traditional method

Latest posts

Top Bottom