Brainstorming For An Indoor Grow Next Spring

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Will be getting a new place next year with a garage (most likely). I'd like to do an advanced hydro set-up, automation would be helpful with my health problems. I am technologically & mechanically savvy. I was a certified telecom tech and I build enthusiast grade gaming/workstation PCs as a hobby so I'm fairly up to date on tech. Don't know modern LEDs but will soon. I'm open to discussion on any aspect of an indoor grow so don't be concerned about going off topic. I don't need to go cheap but I don't like throwing money away either. I don't plan on going any higher than $6k, preferably much lower by hunting down deals and piecing a set up together, maybe even building it. I'll post the hydro system I'm interested in, here shortly...

Rcubed

Rcubed

I'm going back indoors this winter too. I'll go in the garage. I got an 8x4 VivoSun tent $200, 3 315 cmh fixtures $159 each, 3 Phillips 315 elite agro $92 each, 2 Hurricane 6" inline fans $75 each, 1 20 amp timer $25. Once I get the 6" ducting and the carbon filter I should be under $1200 but that's growing in soil. Not sure how much more it would be if I want to put in an rdwc. Hopefully I'll learn something following your thread.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Are you still here? Whats your situation? Lets see some gardening bro.

My illness and meds wipe me out from time to time. Had insomnia for three days and finally crasshed out last night. I've got two sets of pictures open for editing and a third about to be. I take around 200-600 pics at a time then pick the best ones for editing and posting. I take that many so I have options when I print pictures as well. I have to take care of some medical stuff today and I'll post a few series of picks this evening. Also have a lot of answed posts and I read all of them. Alsi need to water/feed my girls and do pest checks.

I'm here.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Im thinking 4x4 or 4x8 tables on casters with the corner posts sticking up high for a place to hang nets.

Make sure them tables are NOT wood. The wood can gain water just from the humid enviroment, rotting and belching out mold and mildew. It could happen.

How about mold resistant paint?

Yeah that Killz. I forgot about that.

Killz is great. I was a house painter for almost 20 years and I used that stuff more times than I can count. I also painted garage doors with it in a factory I worked in. Sprayed 20 gal a day.

One of the tricks I learned when I did apartment maintenance was to add Kilz or Primz to standard paint to give them water & stain resistance. You can also buy mold inhibitor additives they sell at paint stores in little pakages of powder. If I had the time I would use Primz or Kilz oil based. Much, much better seal than water based but it needs time to cure before use, I don't care what the labels say.

I used to add Kilz to eggshell paint thoughout the whole apartments making them as resistant to water as semi gloss.

If I were to use wood it would be pressure treated like they use on mud sills. Can't be anywhere where it would touch the plants or water flowing off of it could. Poisonous stuff, that pressure treated is.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Sheesh, I'm getting old. I guess they no longer make Primz. It was the first wter pased primer they made. I had to use it when it was still all oil based, or laquer based. Kilz water based was a dream come true when it came out. Made my life so much easier.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I've got to get a hold of my new doctor now. They just switched up DRs on me and it's f^cking all my sh*t up. I'll be back later. Love everyone's ideas so far. Exactly the type of responses I'm looking for. I could do it all myself but this is much more fun, and informative.

If I can afford it ill use stainless but I'll probably end up using plywood with finish grade luan on the top side.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Are you still here? Whats your situation? Lets see some gardening bro.

I'm not in the new place yet. It'll be around Feb. Finally getting back into a house. Love the fifth wheel but not that much. I'm having issues with my doctor that's pulling my attention. It's a b*tch to get schedule 1 narcotics when you have no primary physician. Here are a few garden pics from my phone. I've got some great shots to post in my Growing Log a little later.

20170928 100200
20170928 100207
20170928 100235
20170928 100301
20170928 100317
20170928 100326
20170928 100332

I'd like to go fully computer controlled hydro. I'm still figuring on what I need to make that happen. Hopefully there is premade software and control boxes. A CnC controller would work but I'm not sure if I can get the right sensors set up through it.
20170928 101614

I hate the f^ckin red clay dust around here. I have to service abd clean her again this month.

Farmer P

Farmer P

If you can't find a good deal on a pre made controller you could look into getting a plc and make your own custom. They're supposed to be pretty easy to program.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

If you can't find a good deal on a pre made controller you could look into getting a plc and make your own custom. They're supposed to be pretty easy to program.

Do you know any brand names?

I thought I might gave to go buy one of those scientific learning kits that use sensors and control servos as a makeshift system till I could build something proper. I'm going to check out this diy greenhouse using an Ardueno control (I think, haven't read it yet. Have to water the girls right now.)

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Hydroponic-Automated-Networking-Climate-Con/

Top Bottom