British Columbia (BC) Cannabis Summit April 20-22

• Thread starter Drasik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Drasik

There are guys here with clone only operations that seeds just can't match. A very distinct flavour profile. But to act like we have the best weed in the world is silly. We have world class weed for the lowest prices in the world. Thats more accurate. And the hard work and suffering of people who have been through it is why. But I'm pretty sure the best weed in the world comes from India.
World class can mean best weed in the world. Have you ever been to India and have had weed in India? landraces come from India(more so from Pakistan) but its rarely grown there(your facing 15 years plus jail time, its illegal). I've been there and have very good connections there. I have had some decent stuff, but you can't get anything like you can in BC in India, not even close to BC quality. The knowledge and equipment to train the plants that we've done here is non existent in the populous. I've seen some plants grown by pundits and monks in the mountains but nothing like I've seen in BC.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

There is so much shyt genetics today especially with so many unstable hybrids. They are not strong enough to fight of pests, disease and other infestations. Landraces came from different parts of the world I am not aware of any indigenous cannabis strain information in Canada. Many of these landraces, especially from Asia found there way to BC in the 60s and 70s and have been main stays here for many years.

So while strains can come from anywhere the genetic expression of a plant varies on environmental conditions and care. Not everyone grows the same, the potential will always be there. I'm originally from out east and from my legacy market days the best in Canada was always from BC, few reasons for that.

1. experience, there are so many shops and people growing out here that have the knowledge, at one point RCMP had ascertained that in certain parts of the province 1 in 10 residents were used for growing. So having the experts helps make a better product.

2. Temperate climate, parts of the province can stay fairly temperate all year long ideal for year round growing and optimum growing temps. less that you have to play around with when it comes to heating and cooling.

3. Water, lotsa of rain here and in the mountains tons off fresh CLEAN spring water, so one you don't have to treat it or buff it up or down as you would in the rest of the country. Can you really pull clean water in Ontario without treating or buffing it or going to a remote location?

4. In the legacy market with the mountains, there were so many good hiding spots you could put your grow which lead to longevity of operations and experience therefore leading to a better product.

So while strains can come from anywhere they thrive in BC for some of these reasons.
Yes ,but they are still grown out of their native area, the climate certainly makes it easier as does the amount of people involved,but pressures in the native land are gone and replaced so now the plant has to adapt which makes it pull out immunities or defences it never needed before so that may change the psychoactive profile just like growing indoors would do under artificial lights and methods,I'm referring to cultivars or heirlooms grown out of their native origin. I would suspect the same clone grown at the equator will give a completely different effect than one in Canada. The experts can only work with the variables presented as well.I have read sgtroies of perrenials in thailand .

D

Drasik

Preface: I don't say any of this to shit on the current scene, but to lament what it could and should be. BC Bud should be analogous to French wine, down to the AOC system establishing provenance and quality from start to finish. But it's fucking not, and not anywhere close.

BC Bud on the black market, maybe. 20 years ago before Breeder Steve got busted, maybe. Legal market today? 😂 🤣 No. There are like two or three breeders in BC that are respected internationally- Michigan has more. The products are overpriced and packaged terribly. The service in dispensaries is far, far worse.

Right now the BC legal market is mostly full of charlatans, hucksters, and corporate hacks peddling overpriced moldy buds. The only thing that's impressed me about any legal weed north of the border is that people can sell it without feeling embarrassed.

From a 30,000 foot perspective, nothing about legal BC bud is as good in quality or value as legal options in states like California, Oregon, Washington, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, Colorado... or even the black market in places like NYC, Philly, and DC. Point blank, I have had better bud at better prices delivered to my door in all of those places than in BC.

In the US, I could open a container and make sure that the buds aren't moldy. I could take a dab of a concentrate before I could buy it. I could ask people if the meds helped them sleep or with anxiety. I could ask and get answers about how the buds were grown and processed.

Not in BC. I never had anyone tell me with a straight face that a half-gram of mediocre concentrate is $50. I ask how a strain effects someone and I get told to "ask my doctor," like Canadian doctors have any kind of special cannabis training or knowledge. It's ridiculous and should be mocked mercilessly.

I don't think anything about a market built on price gouging consumers for mediocre products via a forced governmental monopoly is worth celebrating. Cannabis should be about bringing healing resources to people that need them, not a few rich greedy assholes making money off of everyone else by trying to force people to buy their terrible products.
Legal market is not even close yet, tons of breeders and strains still in the legacy, there is stuff you haven't even seen yet.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

World class can mean best weed in the world. Have you ever been to India and have had weed in India? landraces come from India(more so from Pakistan) but its rarely grown there(your facing 15 years plus jail time, its illegal). I've been there and have very good connections there. I have had some decent stuff, but you can't get anything like you can in BC in India, not even close to BC quality. The knowledge and equipment to train the plants that we've done here is non existent in the populous. I've seen some plants grown by pundits and monks in the mountains but nothing like I've seen in BC.
I think what happens is weed as a rule isnt great but standouts are found and then people use those to breed,but they came from somewhere initially and that would be where landrace exists so there must be undiscovered and better plants growing out there but not found. Some of those fields have thousands and they all get mixed in so the standouts go with the crappy ones. When I started smoking weed there were no Indicas or broadleaf and only imported weed was available,without the introduction if braodleaf from afghanistan etc ,indoor growing wouldn't be happening. For the most parts,the weed that was popular gave a high,motivation and creativity and has been replaced with more of a sedative effect. Some people like those effects some don't

Ponky

Ponky

Yes. And what you want from them is seeds. For breeding. They're the source of the dank.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Legal market is not even close yet, tons of breeders and strains still in the legacy, there is stuff you haven't even seen yet.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Legal BC Bud is not "world-class" in any way. It's objectively a good ways behind most legal States. The black market does have some great stuff, but I see no reason to support the legal market.

D

Drasik

Yes ,but they are still grown out of their native area, the climate certainly makes it easier as does the amount of people involved,but pressures in the native land are gone and replaced so now the plant has to adapt which makes it pull out immunities or defences it never needed before so that may change the psychoactive profile just like growing indoors would do under artificial lights and methods,I'm referring to cultivars or heirlooms grown out of their native origin. I would suspect the same clone grown at the equator will give a completely different effect than one in Canada. The experts can only work with the variables presented as well.I have read sgtroies of perrenials in thailand
Yes ,but they are still grown out of their native area, the climate certainly makes it easier as does the amount of people involved,but pressures in the native land are gone and replaced so now the plant has to adapt which makes it pull out immunities or defences it never needed before so that may change the psychoactive profile just like growing indoors would do under artificial lights and methods,I'm referring to cultivars or heirlooms grown out of their native origin. I would suspect the same clone grown at the equator will give a completely different effect than one in Canada. The experts can only work with the variables presented as well.I have read sgtroies of perrenials in thailand .
Yes but over hundreds of generations they've learned to adapt to new climates and soil structures to which could easily change genetic expression and potentially improve cannabinoid content or even change terpene profiles. We know the entourage effect is real and is different of each individual. Some psychoactive effects are heighten by different terpene contents for they can improve cannabinoid reception at CB1 and CB2. The challenge now is for the same strain to be grown in different regions, catalogue the inputs and measure what the outputs are. This has not been done yet and more research is required.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Legal BC Bud is not "world-class" in any way. It's objectively a good ways behind most legal States. The black market does have some great stuff, but I see no reason to support the legal market.
It is also all subjective to the user, people who use it all the time notice the difference between very high quality and commercial but for the most part commercial is fine for the market

D

Drasik

It is also all subjective to the user, people who use it all the time notice the difference between very high quality and commercial but for the most part commercial is fine for the market
Very true

D

Drasik

buy not legacy market is becoming legal market. Canadian rules were so strict to become legal now they are loosening up (I could easily get a commercial license in OK to grow from Canada). Let's see the quality in 2 years

D

Drasik

Here's a decent video on the quality of lega weed in Canada

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

buy not legacy market is becoming legal market. Canadian rules were so strict to become legal now they are loosening up (I could easily get a commercial license in OK to grow from Canada). Let's see the quality in 2 years

I hope it's great! Above everything else I want to see what's best for the plant. I'd be delighted to see the BC legal market on the same level as California's and to see clones on the level of Archive or Dark Heart Nursery. I wish there were more breeders in BC like HSC that had legit plant counts and could just sell their seeds. But before that, the laws need to change. And before that, the people that made the current laws need to admit that they're awful, which isn't happening any time soon because the awful laws are letting their rich friends get richer.

I just took issue with your saying that the legal market in BC is world-class. 🙂 I want it to be, but I've done a lot of traveling through weed-friendly states and the level of quality just isn't there.

D

Drasik

I hope it's great! Above everything else I want to see what's best for the plant. I'd be delighted to see the BC legal market on the same level as California's and to see clones on the level of Archive or Dark Heart Nursery. I wish there were more breeders in BC like HSC that had legit plant counts and could just sell their seeds. But before that, the laws need to change. And before that, the people that made the current laws need to admit that they're awful, which isn't happening any time soon because the awful laws are letting their rich friends get richer.

I just took issue with your saying that the legal market in BC is world-class. 🙂 I want it to be, but I've done a lot of traveling through weed-friendly states and the level of quality just isn't there.
It's not on the level of Cali. I wish it was and have been advocating it but as group on a whole, BC growers are not that well organized to market themselves like Cali. That's why I hope this summit will be a great opportunity to get to that level or organization.

When I stated BC was some of the best I wasn't stipulating either legacy or legal(most of this is still legacy). Its only recently that some BC strains are finding there way in to the legal market, I know several breeders out there that have strains they've be stashing away for years, waiting for the right time. Hopefully with the rules loosening they'll be comfortable brining their strains out. We got a few that we're working on bringing out as well. I wish I could show you more. If you ever come out to BC I would be more than happy to show you some of the higher end things we have, you'd be impressed. We focus a lot on terp profiles vs super high cannabinoid content, also making a plant more pest resident.

Ponky

Ponky

Show me where, love to see some landraces. I'm up in the Valley you can come check out our stuff any time.
You don't grow and smoke landraces. You breed something. We are in the lower mainland. So most of the weed is kush. If you got pics send em. But you gotta do the drive. And the price is low. And if it's not top shelf it doesn't go at all.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

It's not on the level of Cali. I wish it was and have been advocating it but as group on a whole, BC growers are not that well organized to market themselves like Cali. That's why I hope this summit will be a great opportunity to get to that level or organization.

When I stated BC was some of the best I wasn't stipulating either legacy or legal(most of this is still legacy). Its only recently that some BC strains are finding there way in to the legal market, I know several breeders out there that have strains they've be stashing away for years, waiting for the right time. Hopefully with the rules loosening they'll be comfortable brining their strains out. We got a few that we're working on bringing out as well. I wish I could show you more. If you ever come out to BC I would be more than happy to show you some of the higher end things we have, you'd be impressed. We focus a lot on terp profiles vs super high cannabinoid content, also making a plant more pest resident.

Well I'm just across the mountains from you, so a trip to BC in the future isn't out of the question! I'd love to be proven wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom