Broke main stem the day I begin 12/12. Is it a problem?

• Thread starter MountainRoad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MountainRoad

MountainRoad

First grow, three northern lights in coco. Well I was low stress training, trying to get that even height on the stems, when I snapped the main stem two nodes down from the top. It looks like a perfect topping well enough above the node below the break. It now makes the plant even across the top, but ...

Today is the day I switch to 12/12 because the plants have reached my desired height (5 weeks from sprout). My concern is that it will stress the plant or stunt it just as I make the change to 12/12.

Is my concern legitimate? Of course there is nothing I can do at this point, the stem was relatively thick and snapped pretty much clean through. I was not able to heal with tape so I just had to remove it. I put a small square of duct tape over the broken stem to help the site heal.

growsince79

growsince79

First grow, three northern lights in coco. Well I was low stress training, trying to get that even height on the stems, when I snapped the main stem two nodes down from the top. It looks like a perfect topping well enough above the node below the break. It now makes the plant even across the top, but ...

Today is the day I switch to 12/12 because the plants have reached my desired height (5 weeks from sprout). My concern is that it will stress the plant or stunt it just as I make the change to 12/12.

Is my concern legitimate? Of course there is nothing I can do at this point, the stem was relatively thick and snapped pretty much clean through. I was not able to heal with tape so I just had to remove it. I put a small square of duct tape over the broken stem to help the site heal.
You lost what would have been the main cola but the plant will be fine. When you harvest you will discover that the plant you fucked up was the strongest and would have been your best one. LOL speaking from experience.

Reactions: Ina
MountainRoad

MountainRoad

You lost what would have been the main cola but the plant will be fine. When you harvest you will discover that the plant you fucked up was the strongest and would have been your best one. LOL speaking from experience.

LOL, I hope not. That plant was actually, fortunately, the runt of the pack. It received the brunt of all my mistakes so far, today was no exception. Made me decide to let the rest stay as they are :)

growsince79

growsince79

LOL, I hope not. That plant was actually, fortunately, the runt of the pack. It received the brunt of all my mistakes so far, today was no exception. Made me decide to let the rest stay as they are :)
You will need to elevate her so she is even with the rest and gets enough light.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
DON'T throw out the top!! I have often taken broken off tops and branches and simply pushed them in a few inches into a growing medium which I keep fairly wet. Keep out of direct light and keep in vegg mode if possible. In about 7-9 days you will have a rooted plant that you can flower or grow out. The plant that broke will survive and make buds, but if it happens at the beginning of flowering, it won't really heal much and you will only get buds at the existing sites. If you could get it to vegg for another week, it will probably start to grow at the top again and give you a coupe of extra larger buds.

MountainRoad

MountainRoad

DON'T throw out the top!! I have often taken broken off tops and branches and simply pushed them in a few inches into a growing medium which I keep fairly wet. Keep out of direct light and keep in vegg mode if possible. In about 7-9 days you will have a rooted plant that you can flower or grow out. The plant that broke will survive and make buds, but if it happens at the beginning of flowering, it won't really heal much and you will only get buds at the existing sites. If you could get it to vegg for another week, it will probably start to grow at the top again and give you a coupe of extra larger buds.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get enough from the three, at least I hope so.

I have been debating letting them go 6 weeks but I'm concerned about space. Right now they're a foot high, with really tight node spacing, its a jungle. They're in 7 gal fabric pots (I know now that's probably too big) so already lifted fairly high above the floor. I figure I can only handle a 3 foot plant before running to close to the light (spider farm 4000, tent 4x4x6.5). It's Northern Lights (90% indica) so my understanding is the most they will do is double in height.

What do you think?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get enough from the three, at least I hope so.

I have been debating letting them go 6 weeks but I'm concerned about space. Right now they're a foot high, with really tight node spacing, its a jungle. They're in 7 gal fabric pots (I know now that's probably too big) so already lifted fairly high above the floor. I figure I can only handle a 3 foot plant before running to close to the light (spider farm 4000, tent 4x4x6.5). It's Northern Lights (90% indica) so my understanding is the most they will do is double in height.

What do you think?
How much they grow during flowering depends a lot on the strain... sativa dominant plants tend to grow taller than indica dom. Most plants won't grow more than a foot during flowering, on avg, although some will grow a lot taller. I was just saying that plants heal better during vegg growth... during flowering, most growth stops except for the buds. Regarding the orphaned top... It will grow into a giant bud if you just stick it in dirt... at this point it's a freebie! Keep up the good work!

MountainRoad

MountainRoad

SDC10692
SDC10693

The bottom picture is the site where it broke, that little square slightly hidden is the duct tape.

MountainRoad

MountainRoad

So I put the top in some coco in a solo cup. Watered. Will see what happens, quite wilted at the moment.

Reactions: Ina
MountainRoad

MountainRoad

Could anyone advise on the size of the plants and whether I could continuing veg another week ...

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Yep indeed I’ve done it and the top struck roots , I do this with my tomato laterals tear them off and stick in under the plant for shade and humidity, a week or so on they take root I lift and plant out for a fast late crop of toms .

MountainRoad

MountainRoad

13 hours light? This is the first time I've seen this recommendation. Could you explain why the extra hour and not going straight to 12/12?

OK, so I did some research on this and I read that some indica dom strains can flower with just 10 hours dark. That running a 14/10 can produce bigger and more flowers though it may lengthen the over all flowering time.

I think I will take growsince79's advice and run 13/11 for a few weeks and then switch to 12/12.

Top Bottom