Brown on leaves, Bluelabs pH pen 2 months old isn't working

• Thread starter RookieBC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RookieBC

RookieBC

First problem I've had, so I recalibrated my Bluelabs pH pen and after i out it in the 7.0 solution and it read 6.7 then I out it in the 4 solution and read 4.5. so I have no idea where my pH of what I've been feeding it is. I'm thinking cap/mag and phosphorus or a straight pH issue but I'm not sure any ideas? I have a cheap ph pen arriving tomorrow as blur labs wants me to send mine back great for 3 months until this. Pictures below happening on all my clone and seedling as of today don't have more pics as I had my Dad take this and send it to me I will have more later.
In peatmoss perlite,Coco blend I've used this stuff 5 times never had a problem.
Under LED 660w light
Feeding full line of Green Planet Nutrients and additives as I always do and never had an issue.
I'm guessing it's a pH issue causing lockout so what is my best course of action when I get a cheap pH pen tomorrow while I wait on Bluelabs to fix my 2 month old pen.

Brown on leaves bluelabs ph pen 2 months old isnt working
Brown on leaves bluelabs ph pen 2 months old isnt working 2
Brown on leaves bluelabs ph pen 2 months old isnt working 3
RookieBC

RookieBC

That's what I was leaning towards but im not at home until later so I couldn't tell from the pictures I'll hit them with some calmag I have a hottub testing pH kit that should tell me if I'm in the zone or I'll wait till the morning. Thank my man I had a feeling it was out of the golden zone for ph as I bounce from 5.8 to 6.2 normally and never usually have any problems and was thinking the last week I've sure been adding a lot of pH down to my water but our city water was coming out of the gaps at 10 one day when they were flushing the system So I figured they must be doing the yearly flush but my Bluelabs pen evidently is F@#ed. I've treated the pH and the PPM/EC lens like babies since I got them in March added storage solution rinsed cleaned and it's not working. My cheap one from Amazon I've dropped, never cleaned and never used storage solution on worked better for 3 years calibrating 3 tota ltimes but in Feb the clip on the back snapped off and it took a bath Soni figured why no get the one everyone says is the best and I'll never have an issue....it last 3 calibrations as well and doesn't work and I have to mail it to California from Canada probably at my expense but I hope not it's under warranty. If the pH pen doesn't get here by lights out tomorrow I'll just foliar feed them before the light turn off hopefully that'll get them done in a hurry

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That's what I was leaning towards but im not at home until later so I couldn't tell from the pictures I'll hit them with some calmag I have a hottub testing pH kit that should tell me if I'm in the zone or I'll wait till the morning. Thank my man I had a feeling it was out of the golden zone for ph as I bounce from 5.8 to 6.2 normally and never usually have any problems and was thinking the last week I've sure been adding a lot of pH down to my water but our city water was coming out of the gaps at 10 one day when they were flushing the system So I figured they must be doing the yearly flush but my Bluelabs pen evidently is F@#ed. I've treated the pH and the PPM/EC lens like babies since I got them in March added storage solution rinsed cleaned and it's not working. My cheap one from Amazon I've dropped, never cleaned and never used storage solution on worked better for 3 years calibrating 3 tota ltimes but in Feb the clip on the back snapped off and it took a bath Soni figured why no get the one everyone says is the best and I'll never have an issue....it last 3 calibrations as well and doesn't work and I have to mail it to California from Canada probably at my expense but I hope not it's under warranty. If the pH pen doesn't get here by lights out tomorrow I'll just foliar feed them before the light turn off hopefully that'll get them done in a hurry
Ask for a certified dealer in your area. I bought mine local in Canada and the guy gave me the name and number if I ever have a problem I take it there and if they can't fix it they replace it.

Ph of the tap water is meaningless... as ph is a result and has no bearing on how much acid is needed to lower it. It's the alkalinity that's important. What's the ppm of your tap water?

Imo those petiole are ot a deficiency but a result of high light... no issues there.

Has you ph solution been contaminated? Multiple uses maybe and rinsing in-between?

Storage solution is important and so is probe cleaning... it very important not to scratch the probe.

Ph out by 0.5 is not going to cause issues like that. Large PH fluctuations can though.

What are your runoff number?

Ph down brand?

RookieBC

RookieBC

I just got home so I'll check the pH solution in a minute
tap water is 7.0-7.8
I haven't checked my runoff to be 100% honest I almost never do when I started checking it for ppm and trying to decide how much to raise or lower the PPM I was causing problems where no problems existed. I've never once checked the pH of my runoff because I normally was doing outdoor and the place I worked at back in the day was in super soil and never had any problems but that itself was over 12 years ago. I gotta run downstairs and check the bottle for the make.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I just got home so I'll check the pH solution in a minute
tap water is 7.0-7.8
I haven't checked my runoff to be 100% honest I almost never do when I started checking it for ppm and trying to decide how much to raise or lower the PPM I was causing problems where no problems existed. I've never once checked the pH of my runoff because I normally was doing outdoor and the place I worked at back in the day was in super soil and never had any problems but that itself was over 12 years ago. I gotta run downstairs and check the bottle for the make.
Ppm of the tap not ph.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It's Technaflora made in Canada. Aren't you glad I didn't take a picture if a bottle of vinegar and a box of baking soda lol
I would change to phosphoric acid... I have tried nitric in the past and just don't like it as I find it unstable compared to phosphoric or sulfur based ph down.

Lol you have no idea how many times I see that

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Has anything changed from past grows? That exact media blend etc?

Have you tried a slurry test on it to see what the ppm and ph is?

I'm just curious and trying to eliminate things.

RookieBC

RookieBC

I'm just glad my flower tent looks fine besides the nuts burn on my Chiquita Banana but I'm running 5 different strains all new to me and they are from a custom breeder 3 strains so I have no references or a grow journal to look up and see what other people said about them. I haven grown indoors in over a decade these didn't start beefing up until today I'm finally able to see the Clyde's coming out and swelling up I was used to using CO2 back then and having them eat like crazy and bulk up like crazy but I was also working with plants 4x the size

PXL 20210508 045324585
PXL 20210508 045347861
PXL 20210508 045336168
PXL 20210508 045315238
PXL 20210508 045310334
PXL 20210508 045347861
RookieBC

RookieBC

Oh shit PPM of pure tap water here is a staggering 0 lol I always check it and it's never been above 50 as far as I remember

RookieBC

RookieBC

And nothing has changed the plants above were exact same everything Infact it's the leftover grow medium I had from those I did reuse some of the medium from the males I had but I washed it and dried it out and the plant in the original picture doesn't have any of the old stuff mixed in unused that for the clones I have that are going to good homes next week after they show some good growth after being monstercropped they just starting throwing up single bladed leaves

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh shit PPM of pure tap water here is a staggering 0 lol I always check it and it's never been above 50 as far as I remember
Ok gonna link a post rather than go through and explain... then any question I can try to answer. Large shifts in ph can cause uptake issues... but the plants themselves do quite well in a wide range if stable.

RookieBC

RookieBC

I usually solve everyone's problems as I'm pretty stupid when it comes to measuring everything and overthinking everything only time I. The last couple years I had a problem was when I got stoned and fucked up my mixing order and then couldn't remember what I had already out in and what I hadn't and that was easily corrected

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I usually solve everyone's problems as I'm pretty stupid when it comes to measuring everything and overthinking everything only time I. The last couple years I had a problem was when I got stoned and fucked up my mixing order and then couldn't remember what I had already out in and what I hadn't and that was easily corrected
Haha don't tell anyone but I once made 3 30ish gal reservoirs for the same reason. Change went from 20 min to like 2 hrs.

RookieBC

RookieBC

Yeah that's what I'm thinking is the pH was out so it was off 0.3 to 0.5 maybe more so I'm thinking if I adjusted my 6.5 it could have been 6.8-7.0 and at 5.8 it could have been as low as 5.3 and wasn't uptaking properly locking it out I'll give that a read the is for the help. I overthink everything but I didn't overthink the fact I was pHing with a meter that wasn't working in figures I'd be in the ball oarknuntil I got the Amazon one delivered as a backup. I'm wondering why I haven't noticed anything in my flower tent and I'm hoping that in a week from now I'm going to be seeing problems. It's only on the occasional plant too but looking at them I'm starting to see what looks like a some problems on a couple I figured it might be because I monstercropped some in weeks 3-5 of flower they sometimes do weird things when revegging. I hate Blurple lights that's what I'm using on these because people wanted clones for outdoors and only light I had big enough was the Blurple I used to in combo with my mh/hps before. I can't see anything under a Blurple in flower I have an LED but it's white light so you notice anything right away. But a Blurple is like looking for problems under an HPS through your phone camera

RookieBC

RookieBC

Haha don't tell anyone but I once made 3 30ish gal reservoirs for the same reason. Change went from 20 min to like 2 hrs.
I watered my plants with my mixture and the next day I knew I guessed wrong and should have just dumped it out and started over now I have a system bottles I've used go on the right unused on the left

RookieBC

RookieBC

Tha plants are going to get hardened off this week so I can get them out the door so at least outdoors I'll be able to easily see everything. I'm going to flush them all out and check the runoff and then start fresh.

SSgrower

SSgrower

Thanks for the views, they look great, @Aquaman is the reason many of us succeed. I will flush my girl but she is ok for how many weeks I've been growing her. My pH pen quit after two weeks and I learned my "Routine" so I went on without it, maybe not so smart? Oh well, live an learn, R&D is my passion. Growing has been taboo so long now in Texas, I enjoy the learning. Cheers!

Latest posts

Top Bottom