Bubba Kush, Cherry Cake Grow Journal

• Thread starter Blastfact
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blastfact

Blastfact

I can't remember in the digital age of ever doing a grow journal. Soooo here we go! Old gardener that likes to keep it simple. But this is going to be a interesting grow with equipment upgrades and with me not being to impressed with any of the new and improved goober weed strains out there I don't get into it like I use to. I've been growing since the 5th grade, been convicted of cultivation in redneck Oklahoma and am now 61. So set in my ways I am.

This grow is going to be:
One, Bubba Kush, 5 Seeds, photo
Three, Cherry Cake, elev8, photo

This will be a soil grow of 50% Nectar for the Gods #8 and 50% Fox Farm Ocean Forrest in No.5 Nursery Pots.
Tent is a 3' x 3' x 6' 11" Gorilla with a 1' Extension for 7' 11".
Fans were three 6" Monkey Fans. Those things are junk and have all went to the trash can. Now have one 6" Hurricane and two Amazon cheapies that I took apart and put good lube in. Ventilation is a iPower 6" cheap blower and carbon filter. The iPower setup will be replaced with a 6" AC Infinity S6 and carbon filter next week. Going to pull the old system out of the tent and put the new one on the outside top of the tent.
Lighting is being upgraded also. Two HLG 100 4000K will handle seedlings through mid to late veg. In the past I flowered with one HLG 260 3000K. But the 260 is being upgraded to the current Rspec kit 260 specs and I have another 260 Rspec kit inbound for a pair. And this morning I ordered a HLG 30 UVA that I will fit between the two 260's. May do some roll your own CO2 like I do for fish tanks,,,, Hummmm.

Nutrients are going to be a simple affair. Water is out the tap ran through a RV filter and PH down to 6.6-6.8,,, been working like that for 30 years in this house. Will be using simple Bloom City dry ferts with Cal-Mag, Silica and Molasses. With other stuff used if needed. All popped seeds, seedlings and transplants always get a dose of Great White Mycorrhizae. The goal is a simple grow.

I've had a hell of a time finding and popping good seeds the last 3 years. Right at a 50% success rate. And then only 50% of those make healthy sprouts into seedlings. It's got really bad here in Oklahoma since we made Medical Legal. Even though I've been through the ringer getting busted, jail and all that crap over growing. I liked it better in the old days. Just to much greed and flimflam men that need to be knocked down a few pegs.

So,,,,,, now to the grow,,, lmao! Got 4 seedlings in cups all setup in there grow pots with water bottle domes. Temps running 77f to 82f with humidity running 40 to 55. And that's just how it's going to be. With it being winter here and 9f one night and 78f two days later and humidity swinging all over the place I'm lucky to get those numbers in this old house. The Bubba Kush seedling is stunted. It was the only truly viable seed out of five. So while I was running around trying to get more seed I kept her a bit cold and low light,,, just hold tight girl,,, got to get you some siblings. So she's in need of some TLC she's getting now. Next few days will be important to her future.
Bubba kush cherry cake grow journal
Cherry cake1
Bubba kush
Bubba Kush getting her fight on.
Cherry cake2
Cherry cake3

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Welcome to the digital world where people meet in a community and share their experience 🤜🤛
also, your light is to intensive at this stage

Blastfact

Blastfact

Welcome to the digital world where people meet in a community and share their experience 🤜🤛
also, your light is to intensive at this stage
Only one light is on,,, Both were on for pics and there set right now at 32" above soil surface. 4000K is great for seedling's and veg. Keeps the stretch down and packs the nodes in tight as they take off. Bubba Kush does not look like it's going to make it. And thats OK. Tent works best with three plants so there is working room and space for humidifier or dehumidifier...

Blastfact

Blastfact

Goober seeds lol.

I love me some Bubba Kush - looking forward to your progress and welcome to the farm.
Bubba does not look like it's going to make it. Of five seeds only one was truly viable. And one Bubba Kush plant in the tent isn't worth it. So she got stunted and ignored while I got some other goober seeds popped. So it looks like it will be three Cherry Cakes what ever that goober strain is. It took a few days but now I've had other seeds come in from old time trusted friends. So the next few grows are all but in the sack!

Blastfact

Blastfact

Just ordered a 1/8" x 8" x 24" sheet of aluminum so I can tie the two 260 heat sinks together and mount the VUA 30 between them. Pick it up in Tulsa tomorrow. 260 Rspec kit should be here today if the sleet storm didn't screw with USPS delivery times with the 30 UVA coming in Monday with the AC Infinity 6" exhaust fan.

Blastfact

Blastfact

Been 8 or 9 days since the last post. Been busy as hell. All is going well concerning the grow. Bubba Kush made it. I honestly didn't think she would pull through. But the little girl has spunk. Finished up the new grow light for the most part and have tested it. Need to add a couple more screws and nuts and add longer stand off screws. It's going to be great to have the new light on the job when it's late veg/flower time. Also got the 6" AC Infinity in. Asked the wife to sew one end of the sleeve closed so I can use the sleeve as a good prefilter inside the carbon filter in a blow through setup. Will set the fan and filter combo on top of the tent.
Bubba Kush

Cherry Cake1

Cherry Cake2

Cherry Cake3

Gl1

Gl2

Gl3

Gl4

ACI

Blastfact

Blastfact

This is the two week update. Got the old iPower 6" blower and filter pulled and the AC Infinity installed on the outside top of the tent. My old Inkbird humidity controller bit the dust so I had to order another. It should be in Sunday so all will be well. With some fiddling with my simple humidifier and the AC Infinity controller I've got it in a pretty good place that's stable for now. Temps dropped yesterday and last night with snow this morning so things got a tad challenging. Early yesterday morning I transplanted the plants from there cups to pots. Went perfect! Couldn't of wished or paid for a better transplant. The girls didn't go into shock, wilt, sag or droop one bit. A sprinkle of Mycorrhizae, drop in the hole, 2 oz. of water each and it's off to the races,,, perfect! Feeling gamey later in the day I went ahead and fired up the other HLG 100 V2 and set them to 25" from the top of the tallest plant and then later in the day mixed up a very very light 3 gallons of water with a bit of basic food. 5ml Cal-mag, 5ml Silica, 1 table spoon of Bloom City dry fert. and 1 table spoon of molasses with ph at 6.8. Let is all set about a hour and then gave each plant a pint. Later today I will give each plant a quart around the outer circumference of the pot and start getting some moisture in the soil. The Gnomes went in today so it's a official grow.
Gnomes

Bubba Kush

Cherry Cake 1

Cherry Cake 2

Cherry Cake 3

Settings

Tent

Blastfact

Blastfact

Got the Inkbird ITC-608T in today. Was not expecting it until tomorrow. Got it installed and have been enjoying the control it brings to humidification control. Using the AC Infinity to control tent temp. Will use the other temp control feature to control a 6" fan or dehumidification if we get a really nasty humid time this spring.
ACInk

Blastfact

Blastfact

Looked at the calendar today, low and behold the plants are 3 weeks / 21days old. 3 weeks ago they were mere helmet head sprouts. My old PH meters all went out this week. After years of use all three shit the bed. So I ordered and received a Apera PH20. Looks like it's going to be a good meter for my needs. Lights are both on and at 24" from the top of the tallest plant. They got there first feed with Bloom City dry ferts just shy of 1 oz. each. Got a new RV filter so I made up a fresh 5 gallon of water with 2ml of Cal-mag, 2ml of silica and 1.5 tablespoon of molasses with the ph at 6.5. Right now it's looking like they will be getting a pint of water every 2 days right now with 1 oz. of Bloom City dry fert every week through veg. I'm sure water will be up to a quart every two days pretty quick. It's looking like they will get there first topping in 4 to 5 days from now. Only 3 nodes right now. The 4th is there but needs a few more days. So plant life is good and there progressing well and now have there legs.
Week 3

Bubba Kush w3

Cherry Cake 1 w3

Cherry Cake 2 w3

Cherry Cake 3 w3

Blastfact

Blastfact

23 days now from helmet heads. Had 4 gal of water left from the Thursday water and feeding. So I added another 1ml of Cal-Mag and Silicate to the mix and another tablespoon of molasses, checked PH and gave them a quart each. And they stood right up to attention! Temp 79f @ 70%rh and there just vegging away. Topping in a few days.

3 19 21 update

Bullybeans420

Bullybeans420

23 days now from helmet heads. Had 4 gal of water left from the Thursday water and feeding. So I added another 1ml of Cal-Mag and Silicate to the mix and another tablespoon of molasses, checked PH and gave them a quart each. And they stood right up to attention! Temp 79f @ 70%rh and there just vegging away. Topping in a few days.

View attachment 1227631

Looking good so far đź‘Ť

Blastfact

Blastfact

25 days from helmet heads,,, just vegging along. Will look at topping later today.

3 21 22 update

Blastfact

Blastfact

4 weeks/28 days from helmet heads. It’s been a good week for the grow. Today was a big day. They got there first topping and first foliar feed. Then later in the day there normal fortified water and dry fert feed. Also turned the RH down to 65% from 70%. Had all the plants out of the tent and went over them very closely. The soil was still a tad bit moist so they only got a pint of there fortified water. They seemed to really enjoy the foliar feed after topping. They bounced back from being clipped in just a few hours like nothing ever happened. I will top them again then put them in tomato cages and let them grow and go. I’ve decided I don’t want to do any training or fiddling about with them. Top and go is the grow. The one little Cherry Cake 3 is a freak. She does strange stuff. Leaves wrinkle up and then relax or she might even wave a fan leaf at you or flip you off. She’s not the most animated or freaky deaky plant I’ve ever had. But I keep expecting to look in the tent and see her head banging to some Sex Pistols. I’ve really enjoyed the two HLG 100 V2 @4000k. They have really made vegging fun! Node stay tight and compact. They really work good at building the foundation for a good grow.

Pre Top.
Week4 pretop

Post Top after foliar feed and later a pint of fortified water and dry fert.
Week4 posttop foliar spray fed watered

A couple of the plant pre and post top.
Bubba Kush
Bubba kush w4 pretop

Bubba kush w4 posttop

Cherry Cake 2
Cherry cake 2 w4 pretop

Cherry cake 2 w4 posttop

Office
Office

Blastfact

Blastfact

Yesterday they got a foliar feeding and some fortified water. Today is a chill day. :)

31 days today.
3 27 22

Blastfact

Blastfact

33 days today from helmet heads. They had grown themselves just a bit to close to the lights and leaf petals were twisting and curling. A quick measurement showed 22" from the tallest plant. Yep to close to the two HLG 100 V2's so I raised them to 27" and there relaxing now. May run them on up to 30" later today. Also a little bit of nutrient burn today so no foliar feeding today. Might not even feed them there dry nutrients this week if it gets any worse. Time will tell. :)

3 29 22

Blastfact

Blastfact

5 Weeks today from sprout helmet heads. Today they got there second topping and will get flipped to flower on there 6th week birthday. Pretty normal week for the plants. Got a pint watering earlier in the week and a quart each yesterday. Tiny bit of nutrient burnt tips in new veg so I did not give them any dry ferts today at all. They did get there rotating foliar spray with Bloom Khaos one day and a Silicate spray the next with a no spray day rotation. Main fan leaves are getting really big and there covering up new growth from topping. The 4000 K 1000 V2's have been doing there job and keeping everything tight and thick. So when I flip them to flower I expect the stretch to be on the violent side and very explosive. I will get there tomato cages this weekend and finish getting them ready for flip. I did order a Apogee MQ-610 ePAR Meter today. So it will be nice to have it in the tool box soon.

Pre-Top
Week 5 pretop

Post-Top
Week 5 posttop

Blastfact

Blastfact

At 38 days from helmet heads, today is a big day for the grow as is this week, truth be known.
:slight_smile:
The new HLG dual 260 Rspec lights go in the tent today and get setup and fired up. I also got a Apogee MQ-610 yesterday and also got the Photone Pro App calibrated. So now lighting will be managed as good as it possible can be. I made a run around my local area yesterday looking for 4 Panel Tomato Cages that I like and only found 1ea. I really need 8ea. and I refuse to pay the really stupid prices they want for them online this season. So regrettably I will be using 3.5" scrog. I’m only using scrog for support. I wont be doing any training unless the plants think they want to get out of control. They are all indica strains and all show to be really heavy on the indica side of bred up hyploid fufu weed life. There still drinking on the 1 quart each watering they got last. They will get a silicate foliar spray today. They have completely recovered from the second and finale topping last week. So it’s time to get them on there flowering lights and start getting them use to the new spectrum, power and UV a bit before flipping to flower this Thursday at 6 weeks old.

Looking Good at 38 days.
Cherry Cake Bubba Kush 38 days

Cherry Cake 38 days

Flower Power going in today.
Gl2

New Apogee MQ-610 and Calibrated Photone Pro. PPFD and DLI Mastered,,, No Excuses!
Meters

Blastfact

Blastfact

The new light went in today. And it’s fantastic! Set it at 30" above the tallest plant. It’s all centered up and level. And I have both lights set at 135 watts measured with a Kill-A-Watt. This gave me 500 PPFD for the back two plants and 450 PPFD on the front two. Front two plants are a tad shorter and measurement is skewed some because of the tent flaps being open. No reflectivity for the front plants like the rear plants get off the back wall. This is good for a 18 hr. DLI of 32.4 back plants and 29.16 front plants by the HLG calculator. I also have the UVA-30 running. Will flip to flower this Thursday. So I will be bumping the watts up before the flip. Plants also got a feed, watering and a silica foliar spray. Had them out of the tent for a while. So they enjoyed getting back in the tent with the new light and there pampering today. Had to bump up the exhaust fan speed to 4/10. It got up to 83f here today and we didn’t turn the A/C on so the lung room got up to 77f/45%rh. Was humid, suppose to rain tonight and tomorrow. I bought a new humidifier to go into a new 2 x 4 tent that will be going up next weekend if everything gets here. Once I had it in hand I put it in the current running 3 x 3 this grow is in. It fits the tent so much better. Does not have quiet the output the other unit has. But it looks like it will get the job done.

Pics of the new light installed and running.
Tent

Plants

Light2

Light1

I like a clean open top in my tent!
Inside top

Blastfact

Blastfact

Yesterday marked 6 weeks of veg. With two topping complete. It was time to flip to flower. To celebrate the plants got a Silica and Bloom Khaos foliar spray down in one day! One in the morning and the other in the afternoon. They also got put on there Bloom City flower ferts. The directions say 1 oz. of ferts per plant. I went with .75 oz. per plant on first feeding on the flowering ferts. And two watering's of a quart each. One quart in the morning and one in the afternoon. First watering was 1/2 tsp cal-mag and two tsp of molasses. Second watering was 1/4 tsp of cal-mag and 1 tsp of molasses. I finally found my large bag of Diatomaceous Earth! So each plant got a 1/3 of a cup worked into the top of the soil. Will add another 1/3 cup per plant next week. Stuff is great for pest control. And as it breaks down it adds silica to the soil. The big thing of the day was the flip to 12/12. The tent is close to a window and I keep the tent vent open on the lower back side of the tent. So when I go into flower I put a pool noodle along the right back corner of the tent against the window frame to help with light control and double check all other light points of interest. Tent room at 72f/35% rh. Tent still at 79f/65% rh. Will drop to 60% rh next week. Went from 50% on the lights to 60%. 60% is 170 watts per fixture for a total of 340 watts. Plants had grown 2" in the last week. Lights are now setting 28" from tallest plant with a PPFD of 725 and a DLI of 31.32 for the back plants and 675 PPFD and DLI 29.16 for the front two plants. The UVA-30 is on for the middle 8 hours of the 12 hour light cycle. Will increase the UVA to 12 hours over the next few weeks. Everything looked good last night just before lights out. It will be interesting to see how they do today.

Only a couple of pics. I really enjoy the UVA only pic. Reminded me of the early 1970's when as a youngster stoned and heard Frankenstein for the first time in a black light poster room.
IMG 6505

Uva30

Latest posts

Top Bottom