Bubble Cloning: Techniques , Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Awesome. Okay, you started this, how about laying it out? Did you add HP daily? Change water? Any nutes?

Maybe a step by step, piece by piece, etc?

Loving this thread. ❤

BloodShot

BloodShot

Beginner's luck!? Got 100% in 12 days, very happy but I've got a hundred percent in my Dome tray with rapid rooters before too and I've also lost whole trays so.. anyway for now I'm sold on bubbles like Lawrence Welk! Lol! :)

View attachment 875436

View attachment 875437

So I guess not so many tips?! just bubble it and forget about it!?! Seemed to work I guess, added 5ml. hydrogen peroxide initially; pH went from 6.5 to 7.5 and I didn't measure PPM initially but it didn't go up much if at all
I used to experiment with bubbleponic growing, if that's what it's called.
I used 4" plastic pots with holes melted throughout the bottoms inserted into those big whey powder plastic tubs and gallon jars. The pots had nothing but perlite in them and the jars had a mild nutrient solution with airline coming down through the pot into water below with air stone.
I found I had the fastest most picture perfect growth I have ever had growing anything. The peppers were heavy and beautiful and the buttercrunch lettuce was too huge to fit into shopping bags.
I have photos somewhere...
Good job on that cloner, I have only rooted two clones in life and wish I could root that many at once.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Awesome. Okay, you started this, how about laying it out? Did you add HP daily? Change water? Any nutes?

Maybe a step by step, piece by piece, etc?

Loving this thread. ❤
I do nothing beyond what I've put this thread (and I haven't used the hydrogen peroxide since the first run!) As far as prep I'm not doing anything different, cut at 45° angle, scratch a strip down 2 opposing sides and dip in clonex!?

However I've noticed that they never send Roots out from either the cut or where I scratch it, the roots seem to come from up near the collar and then a few all over with no particular growth anywhere I've scratched or cut it? I suspect they'd root without the scratch down the sides, I'll probably try that next time

I would highly recommend giving this a try the only thing I do different is when I cut them I put them in a glass or a jar of water right away, aside from that I do nothing else and I'm getting roots on the tiniest little cuttings too!

Edit: I never change the water I add about a cup of day of pH 6.5 water, I keep it as high as I can while still trying to leave about a half an inch between the cover and the water level. I dont add nutes, and inkbird and a heating pad keep the water at 80° steady

I used to experiment with bubbleponic growing, if that's what it's called.
I used 4" plastic pots with holes melted throughout the bottoms inserted into those big whey powder plastic tubs and gallon jars. The pots had nothing but perlite in them and the jars had a mild nutrient solution with airline coming down through the pot into water below with air stone.
I found I had the fastest most picture perfect growth I have ever had growing anything. The peppers were heavy and beautiful and the buttercrunch lettuce was too huge to fit into shopping bags.
I have photos somewhere...
Good job on that cloner, I have only rooted two clones in life and wish I could root that many at once.
That sounds interesting, is that called hempy buckets? A couple of years ago I looked into hempy buckets but decided to stay with soil. Give this system a try, I think you would like it?

This time I have a splitter into 2 airstones attached to the bottom with suction cups but previously I used one of those air-bars that was about 8 in long running down the middle, but I made the switch to 2 airstones because I felt it would give me better air distribution

Last edited:
BloodShot

BloodShot

That sounds interesting, is that called hempy buckets? A couple of years ago I looked into hempy buckets but decided to stay with soil. Give this system a try, I think you would like it?

This time I have a splitter into 2 airstones attached to the bottom with suction cups but previously I used one of those air-bars that was about 8 in long running down the middle, but I made the switch to 2 airstones because I felt it would give me better air distribution

From what I just looked up hempy buckets are basically filled with coco and a perlite below with a hole for water to exit a couple inches up from bottom with fresh water being supplied.
My plants roots grew out of the pots sitting in the openings of the jar rims. The roots went into the bubbling nutrient solution that was just below the bottom of the net pot, the roots loved the bubbling water and grew huge.
I have learned that maybe the bubbling water is not needed to keep the roots from rotting and only an air space is what is required between the bottom of pots and water surface, will have to test the difference some day as I would like to run a couple cannabis plants this way.
IMG 0061

IMG 0159

IMG 0141

It's similar to your cloner but a single unit.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

From what I just looked up hempy buckets are basically filled with coco and a perlite below with a hole for water to exit a couple inches up from bottom with fresh water being supplied.
My plants roots grew out of the pots sitting in the openings of the jar rims. The roots went into the bubbling nutrient solution that was just below the bottom of the net pot, the roots loved the bubbling water and grew huge.
I have learned that maybe the bubbling water is not needed to keep the roots from rotting and only an air space is what is required between the bottom of pots and water surface, will have to test the difference some day as I would like to run a couple cannabis plants this way.
View attachment 883577
View attachment 883578
View attachment 883579
It's similar to your cloner but a single unit.
Thanks for explaining, I was a hydro guy in my previous grows in the last century, and I built and used a system similar to what you described, it used to be called passive Hydroponics, but this time I am using soil. I saw a comparison on YouTube recently just as you described, a side-by-side, one had bubbling air and one had no and the bubbling air plant had probably twice the growth and looked much better too

Edit: those peppers are incredible! I can't even grow them like that outside in my garden!?

Last edited:
BloodShot

BloodShot

Was debating whether to run the air into my autopot domes after reading a thread about how bubbles, especially warm bubbles may not be good for roots.
After reading your post I may just leave the air running from here on out.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Was debating whether to run the air into my autopot domes after reading a thread about how bubbles, especially warm bubbles may not be good for roots.
After reading your post I may just leave the air running from here on out.
I think I read that same post on here yesterday?! I remember thinking they'll be sorry, but I think that was a dwc thread? Regardless, Hydroponics without bubbles?? I might be missing something but I don't think I'd try it!?

I'm all about the Bubbles! I'm like a freaking Lawrence Welk now with the bubbles! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom