C: Inexpensive
vs Buckets Or pots will be harder to
camo and a little more expensive..
and the ground BUGZ>>>>
Thanks for any advice I may
receive here.. Farm on & :hi: Stay hIgH

P

pokerman

if u use bags make sure u stake them in the ground with a stick and make sure u lay them in soil so the roots will grow out and into the ground so they don't get rootbound....honestly this yr i jus layed some in the grass and they jus automatically grow roots out of the holes from the bags and gointo the grass to the soil

SmokesalotofVT

SmokesalotofVT

Okay good to know , Pokerman & Rolln Jay
Always good to get feedback .. Thanks
alot ..
for the Good info
Have a great day
Out on the farm
Smokes

H

hytymez

i make a level step in the hill side and place the grow bag on top,2x2 feet for a 30 gallon bag.spray paint the bag camo(filled with soil).do a lite spray paint touch up every year.

would take me forever to dig a 2x2x2 hole in my rocky soil.

D

Down South Sage

I was gonna do some swamp tubes or something like them in a half dried up pond this spring and was wondering if I could just get like 30 or 40 gallon smart pots and bury them halfway instead of rubbermaid totes or would that defeat the purpose of the smart pot??I don't know will be my first year making anything like swamp tubes so any input will help me.

D

Down South Sage

Whats the biggest you can get a grow bag?I bought some once but they were 10 gallon and I didnt like them because they were bright white on the outside.Needed to be reversed.

R

Rolln J

white on the outside is a good thing for outdoor growing - black containers can heat up and kill your roots. unless you need to be stealth - the camo idea is pretty cool...

D

Down South Sage

definately need stealth thats why I didnt like them.

D

DownTownClown

Premium Member
Supporter
roots organics sells a 30 gallon bag that is cammo ready for your friend if you dont like the 10gallon white bags

G

ganjherbsmoke

grow bags rule and so do the white ones for inside or out get that reflectivity up
theyre super cheap and you can buy a bag of like 25 of em for next to nothin
id say grow bags all the way
smart parts are sick too!

O

ODanksta

I used bags once filled with Coco and was very unhappy because they fall over I had mold in the little wrinkles on the bottom of the bags , but then again this was inside, But I am going to try 32 gallon rolling trash cans this year $15 bucks a piece from Wally world, But now filling those puppies up with a medium can get pretty damn expensive if you don't know how to mix it, I like the rolling trash cans because they are so easy to move, compared to having to move 10 gallon pots across 25 acres because you think somebody knows your growing.. Lol. life is a bitch..

But I am about to start using those 32 gallon trash cans inside.. So I will post pics so you can understand what they are capable of...

O

ODanksta

Yeah but you can also throw a solar blanket or just white sheets over a pot or bucket for the same effect I am doing this today my self..

grow bags rule and so do the white ones for inside or out get that reflectivity up
theyre super cheap and you can buy a bag of like 25 of em for next to nothin
id say grow bags all the way
smart parts are sick too!

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
bags vs. buckets

i've used both, and buckets are much simpler to use. bags are a pain in the ass to fill especially when transplanting into them. bags don' t last more than a year or two. i have garbage cans 30-50 gallons each that i've used for years. if you don't want to reuse the soil just dump and refill. of course i'm talking of solo gardening if you have help it might be different.i look for off season inventory clearance sales to buy my buckets. as far as camoflage, i've used paint,flat latex, but lately i've bought some turkey blind cloth(camo burlap 4' high and 20' long) i cut this into pieces as i need to wrap my buckets.

be cool, mal

M

mark1111

mal;
that turkey blind cloth idea is damn brilliant! Can't wait til spring!

L

LA Woman

bags are great - but they wont stop burrowing critters...

Thats what I was thinking J. Seems like really big bucket would be better. Around here You can buy extra heavy duty 20 gallon round plastic containers. These things are awesome. Twice as thick as a 5 gal bucket. They cost about $15 and probably worth every penny IMHO. Thats what I 'm going to use, although I don't really expect much to grow in my heat and humidity. Meagan :) :icon_animal26:

J

jordisgarden

I have some experiance with bags. i used to use 5 gallon buckets. then i planted 60 seeds and soon realized iwas gonna be screwed on space. so i went to the hydroshop and got a ton of 2 gal growbags. i lik em b cuz they are more square than round. i still had a few in 5 gals. but soon realized i was getting just as much from the bags as the buckets. the only thing is you realize how hard to move large grow bags outside without fucking up your roots. the larger bags r not sturdy enough to move 30 gals arouund. not easily like a 18 gal rubbermaid. when i grew outdoo use 18 gam all over the place with my quad. for indoors though i am convinced i am boff with gl bags than...outside though otherway around...good luck fellow farmer. happy new year

S

supasticky

I would not recommend using the bags if you'll be moving them anywhere. I've used them and when I had to move my plants inside for a few days for security reasons my soil was still wet and was too heavy for the bags and they ripped where I was holding the bags. Also the bag gets pulled down by gravity when you pick it up and it folds in a litte. When you put the bag down all the soil on the side gets pushed in and you have to repack the soil. Then because the bag ripped it also stretched out the bag and when i would water the top of the bag would flip over and get in the way. So, IMO if you want to move the plants around a lot I would not buy the bags I would by white square containers with a large pan under them to help protect from bugs. Another way to protect your roots from bugs is to place DE, perlite, or any other rocky material in the bottom 1/2 inch of your pot. If you don't have any of those things honestly regular rocks will work lol. As long as there is something blocking the bugs from your soil. It also helps to drain water. You cant really do that with the bags either.

-Supa

F

Fred Norris 2.0

if you do decide to use bags, make sure you dont use the black ones. fuckers get so hot in full sun.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
after leveling the soil, with a slight depression in the middle, beneath where my bucket/can will sit. i carry a roll of garbage bags, 55 gal., i roll 1 out fully and fold it in half so its approximately 2' square and i lay this on the ground with the depression in the middle of the 2' square. then i place my bucket/can on top of this and tape the corners up on the can to create a slight cup effect around the bottom of the can. this will do two things it will prevent bugs from coming in and it will help your container from drying out.

mal

Latest posts

Top Bottom