Bud Smells Like Grass One Day Into Curing

• Thread starter travism000
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

travism000

Alright so this is my second grow so I don't remeber exactly how the smell of my first went. So I harvest, dry rack the bud for 6 days in 45% humidity. The stem snaps and does not bent and the bud feels dry, slightly crispy. I put them into jars and they smell extremely potent which surprised me. I toss a humidity pack in there and leave it for a day. I come back the next day, open it up for an hour and it still smells great. However, today I opened them and it has a grassy smell. Did I cure too early or is this part of the natural curing proccess?

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

dryd them out to fast u don't want the stems to snap u want them to just about break when bent. Then put in jars then they going to get wet to the touch leave jars open for some time till the out side feels dry then re lid it

T

travism000

I meant to say the stems snap when I bent them but I get ya. Ill just air them out for a bit, thank bro

Dan789

Dan789

Yes understanding that the curing is key, it's a process to draw the moisture out of the interior of the buds, it doesn't happen with just one drying, jarring, paper bagging cycles. It might take several rotations to get where the buds will be safe (dried enough to) be placed in longer term storage. Getting a hydrometer to ascertain how much moisture your buds have will help you to make better decisions.

xenon730

xenon730

Any grass smell past the first few days in the rack is abnormal. You shouldn't need humidipaks when first jarring or youre drying too far. Those little digital hygrometers on Amazon can help a lot in the jars and are cheap.

Monster762

Monster762

I agree. I had the grass smell on some outdoor before. It comes from drying to fast. They key is drying it as slow as possible without mold forming. I always dry entire branches old school hang dry. No racks. If it drys to quick that way dry whole plant. It will hold moisture longer. I like it cold during dry not hot. Heat messes it up. The jar and paper bag will draw the moisture out from inner bud. I dry 7-10 days slowly. Cool air. I usually put in closet or similar with the door closed n open it a hour or so a day. Air conditioner is a friend here. Cool low humidity air but too low humidity will dry too fast. If you dry a plant in less than 7 days to snap point it's likely to have that grass smell. Try putting it in paper bag in the jar burping it daily then remove the bag n jar it alone for couple weeks. The paper actually sucks the inner moisture out where the jar traps it n evens it out.

Monster762

Monster762

If you didn't get it bone dry you may be able to bring some of that inner funk out n it'll smell better

Smerb

Smerb

A turkey bag can be used before jarring, the bags have a gazillion tiny holes. Let's that last few days of slow drying take time. Turkey bag it.

V

vagiboy1987

Perfectly normal. Its the ammonia being released as the buds cure. That's part of why we burp the jars and allow fresh air in. Think of it like this, you have two stalks of celery one in a plastic bag the other in the open in your fridge. The one in a sealed bag will decompose faster than the one in the open because ammonia and gasses released during decomposition build up and aren't released and speed up the process. Weed is the same way. As the chlorophyll breaks down it releases decomp gasses and ammonia and this gives off the fresh cut grass smell ( because its green vegetative matter) as the jars are burped and decomposition gasses are exchanged for fresh air the smells from them also dissipate. As the buds end their active decomp less gas is released and the natural smell of the bud is stronger. This is why its important to properly cure by time, humidity and venting your jars. The first week especially you'll smell the grassy smell from then you'll notice a gradual change in smell getting stronger and stronger "weed" smell. Keep them going and burp your jars, watch out for mold and give them time. Keep curing until the bud has a strong weed smell there's no real timeline as variables change but rule of thumb is at least a month. Good luck buddy.

kalikushkid

kalikushkid

Perfectly normal. Its the ammonia being released as the buds cure. That's part of why we burp the jars and allow fresh air in. Think of it like this, you have two stalks of celery one in a plastic bag the other in the open in your fridge. The one in a sealed bag will decompose faster than the one in the open because ammonia and gasses released during decomposition build up and aren't released and speed up the process. Weed is the same way. As the chlorophyll breaks down it releases decomp gasses and ammonia and this gives off the fresh cut grass smell ( because its green vegetative matter) as the jars are burped and decomposition gasses are exchanged for fresh air the smells from them also dissipate. As the buds end their active decomp less gas is released and the natural smell of the bud is stronger. This is why its important to properly cure by time, humidity and venting your jars. The first week especially you'll smell the grassy smell from then you'll notice a gradual change in smell getting stronger and stronger "weed" smell. Keep them going and burp your jars, watch out for mold and give them time. Keep curing until the bud has a strong weed smell there's no real timeline as variables change but rule of thumb is at least a month. Good luck buddy.
Thank you! You’re the only person on about 48 damn answers I’ve read to questions like this that actually explained the process I believed was happening 4 days into my drying process, whole plant hanging at 65F/55% today I was getting a fresh cut grass smell and I’ve been doing everything right only thing I can think of is this is normal for some strains because one strain still smells it did after harvest and they’re both in the exact same drying room but the OG plant smells like fresh cut grass but when I squeeze the nugs ooh they smell so good.. so this is normal right? Just certain gasses being release from certain plants

Imxtooxsweetxx

Imxtooxsweetxx

Is it okay to smoke weed that smells like grass or is it bad for you?

growsince79

growsince79

Yes understanding that the curing is key, it's a process to draw the moisture out of the interior of the buds, it doesn't happen with just one drying, jarring, paper bagging cycles. It might take several rotations to get where the buds will be safe (dried enough to) be placed in longer term storage. Getting a hydrometer to ascertain how much moisture your buds have will help you to make better decisions.
Hygrometer don't tell you bud moisture. Just rh of air.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Is it okay to smoke weed that smells like grass or is it bad for you?

It's a fucked up era we live in. The bud at the dispo smells like multiple products from the grow store, yet people won't smoke "hay". . You can literally fuck up bud in every way imaginable and people will smoke it.. AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T SMELL LIKE GRASS! I've literally had to ask for hay at a dispo because the other 2 dozen jars all smelled like fertilizer. No, fucking grass smell won't kill you God damn.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Grow plant naturally. Harvest plant correctly. Everything else is INTERNET BULLSHIT

I've pulled buds one month into flower.. Smelled amazing tasted great.

I've cured in 30% rh. Smelled amazing tasted great.

I've had smells change daily for a week straight, from one desirable smell to the next. Never hay.

If you bud dries faster than my fan leaves, your bud is fucked up. Throw all your cartoon bottles away.

If you smell hay, you fucked up the harvest. Stop letting the plant think its being attacked by bugs.

Pick up a damn book, learn what the hay smell is. You CAN'T SMELL CHLOROPHYLL IN PLANTS.

SwiftStixx

SwiftStixx

The grass smell you are having is a cause of 2 things which are directly correlated to each other.

Yes, your curing is messed up. BUT because the harvest or drying was set up improperly. I did read but didn’t dig deep to the responses etc.

You likely harvested too early. The trichomes, which lets get it straight, IS THE ONLY THING as a factor for Smell, Stickyness, THC/CBD/CBN quantities etc. Anything you associate to the outcome and what it is, is in the trichomes. So you likely cut down before the trichomes could continue to round into their form. There was DAMAGE done to the plant that it expressed itself through the bud sites and shut down the odor expression.

I stopped trimming my harvest due to this reason. I now cut down at main stem and dry out this way. No trimming, not cutting smaller branches. You’re changing the plants ability to feed out the rest of the stems nutrients. Your standard dry is chop down and upside down for a reason. They spend their life standing up stretching for light. You take their light away and hang, you force gravity to take the rest of the plants quality and force it down into the buds and out. This process is also important to keep temp and humidity perfect for the 7- 12 days.

Now in curing the space between the buds and the lid of the jar is important. Too much, then too much Oxygen exchange kills out the smell and can reduce thc%. Too little space and there is too much of the C02 the plant is trying to release cause of ammonia smells and tastes not smokeable.

-Swift

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Something important to take into consideration when drying and curing is that the plant is still alive. The plant will continue to remain alive long after you cut it and that is quite integral to the process actually.

So two main things have to happen.

1. THCa has to be converted into THC.
2. Chlorophyll needs to be broken down into its metabolites.

The longer and cooler you can drag this process out the better. If the plant dries too quickly the cells will tear apart from each other and cease to function and the above 2 processes grind to a halt.

You can most certainly smell the metabolites from the chlorophyll breaking down. It's that classic lawnmower grass hay aroma. The longer you get the plants to make that smell while drying the less of it will remain in the bud👍

growsince79

growsince79

Alright so this is my second grow so I don't remeber exactly how the smell of my first went. So I harvest, dry rack the bud for 6 days in 45% humidity. The stem snaps and does not bent and the bud feels dry, slightly crispy. I put them into jars and they smell extremely potent which surprised me. I toss a humidity pack in there and leave it for a day. I come back the next day, open it up for an hour and it still smells great. However, today I opened them and it has a grassy smell. Did I cure too early or is this part of the natural curing proccess?
If you have to use scissors to trim the nugs off the stem you're doing it too soon. Use brown bag to slow drying time.

Ffwp710

Ffwp710

Something important to take into consideration when drying and curing is that the plant is still alive. The plant will continue to remain alive long after you cut it and that is quite integral to the process actually.

So two main things have to happen.

1. THCa has to be converted into THC.
2. Chlorophyll needs to be broken down into its metabolites.

The longer and cooler you can drag this process out the better. If the plant dries too quickly the cells will tear apart from each other and cease to function and the above 2 processes grind to a halt.

You can most certainly smell the metabolites from the chlorophyll breaking down. It's that classic lawnmower grass hay aroma. The longer you get the plants to make that smell while drying the less of it will remain in the bud👍
Need more of this at day 8 dry. Dry room smells like fresh grass hayish but when I squeeze or crack open bud it reeks. I’m using 2.5 gal rubber made soon to toss branches into before final cure. Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Top Bottom