Bud Smells Like Hay! Help

• Thread starter Palmettoman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr Bee

Mr Bee

About a week. So just trim the fan leaves and after it dries trim the bud?
the trick is to try to extend the drying time as long as you can.whithin reason of course.a week is far too quick imho.2 weeks ATLEAST.there's a method by someone called clockworx or something that's stickied hear.just search for drying and during methods

DismalDude

DismalDude

For me I just hang whole plant.I dry inside a tent and ac is running all the time(lowering humidity)as temps are crazy hot here and humidity is like soup.That's the main reason I hang whole plant with fan leaves.After a couple days the leaves basically wrap around the bud and slow the drying process.I only hang for a week because I don't want the bud completely dry.After a week I trim and put bud into paper grocery sacks for up to a week turning daily.After that it's right into jars with a burp or three and it's perfect every single time.Everyone has their own thing that works for them when drying/curing but this does it for me 100% of the time.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Palmetto, there have been a lot of very good suggestions made here, but I haven’t seen what your process for drying and curing is at the moment. So what is your method for drying and curing?

Something else I failed to see in this thread is what method you are growing with and if you do a full flush before harvest.

Palmettoman

Palmettoman

I do flush and feed just straight PH water the last week, I trim wet and hang limbs upside down in the dark until they fill right. I believe they’re drying to fast. What I’m gonna do this go round is try a few different things suggested here and see what works the best. Right now I grow in 50% ffof and 50% ffhf, I use fox farm nutrients, and I have one 900w led grow light and 4 300w led grow lights by mars, it’s a sealed grow room with CO2 rain effect until the second week of flowering then I cut it off. Also has AC unit in the room and a dehumidifier.

madgrower

madgrower

I do flush and feed just straight PH water the last week, I trim wet and hang limbs upside down in the dark until they fill right. I believe they’re drying to fast. What I’m gonna do this go round is try a few different things suggested here and see what works the best. Right now I grow in 50% ffof and 50% ffhf, I use fox farm nutrients, and I have one 900w led grow light and 4 300w led grow lights by mars, it’s a sealed grow room with CO2 rain effect until the second week of flowering then I cut it off. Also has AC unit in the room and a dehumidifier.
I have same problems when I dry to fast. I slowed it down and it’s perfect

MisterSkunk

MisterSkunk

How about...what streign are u growing? Does this happen with every streign? If only 1 try growing another. FYI I dont do any of that harvesting bs that has been listed. Wet trim, harvest when the hell I want lights on it dont matter, hang dry for 7 days, flush with florakleen for 2 days.

Palmettoman

Palmettoman

It does it with every strain so I’m sure it isn’t strain specific

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Why at 36d F Jump?
Good question One because I have a spare fridge. Also over the years I have found the colder you can store it, without freezing it the longer it stays fresh. The primary enemies of terpene, thc and cannabinoid breakdown is light and heat. So I have tried various storage techniques and this is what I feel is optimum for my stash.

I am not BSing you I have right now some sour larry pebbles, cornbread and some lemon drop kush that is going on 16 mos in storage and it smells and taste's as good as the day I vacuum sealed it in mason jars. Potency is still spot on as well. :smoking: hope that helped.

But again the key is in the drying and curing and not to rush that. How many people do I know that spend 2-3 months waiting for harvest only to screw up good genetics by rushing the dry and cure. I just take it to the next level by vacuum sealing and storing in a fridgerator.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Problem I have here is our temps here are in the high 90’s so the a/c unit in the room circulates the air, can’t really control that part of it because if I kill the ac it will get over 90 degrees in there quick. I’ll try and force the ac in another direction and try leaving leaves on it this time and see what it does.
I use a humidifier to keep my Rh at 65% There is some thinking that once your buds or colas fall under 50% rh that the curing process is halted and that once that occurs you cannot reinitiate the cure cycle again. Yes you can rehydrate the erb but cant kick start the cure ……….. There was a lot of talk and I saw some articles on it 2-3 years ago. If I can locate them I will post it up.

WhtChocolate

WhtChocolate

Good question One because I have a spare fridge. Also over the years I have found the colder you can store it, without freezing it the longer it stays fresh. The primary enemies of terpene, thc and cannabinoid breakdown is light and heat. So I have tried various storage techniques and this is what I feel is optimum for my stash.

I am not BSing you I have right now some sour larry pebbles, cornbread and some lemon drop kush that is going on 16 mos in storage and it smells and taste's as good as the day I vacuum sealed it in mason jars. Potency is still spot on as well. :smoking: hope that helped.

But again the key is in the drying and curing and not to rush that. How many people do I know that spend 2-3 months waiting for harvest only to screw up good genetics by rushing the dry and cure. I just take it to the next level by vacuum sealing and storing in a fridgerator.

I don’t believe you @jumpincactus. You need to send me a taste of each so I can determine.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Growing it right is waaaay more important than genetics. Blaming genetics is a cop out. Can anyone name a strain that smells like hay? Years of growing bagseed, never found one. Funny no one ever mentions growing it right..

You ain't gonna cut it with no Jacks Classic or none of that fiber crop hemp grade crap. I think a lot of growers are under the impression that if it's giving off any smell at all during flower that it's gonna hold that smell. You need quality inputs to grow bud that can actually cure. Its all about micro life breaking down the best sources you can come up with,before and after chop. If you're on that preservation game, freezing your weed etc you're doing it wrong. Your weed should never "dry out" if it does you're doing it wrong. Does a ball of resin scraped out of a pipe turn to dust, ever? Reclaim from a bong turn to powder? Gotta get on that resin game. Not the test tube npk rope and canvas hemp diet. We're not growing hemp, we're growing oils.

If you're neighbors don't comment on the smell of your house during flower, you ain't gonna end up with a baggy your neighbors can smell. Especially if it can't cure out due to lack of required starch and sugar and microbial levels in the bud itself.

Put all that hydro shop resin killer garbage I'm sure you're using in the trash and go find the sweetest pile of composted shit you can. Feed your soil food grade fermented inputs. You know those novelty boosters everyone's using only inflate thc% by wiping out all other, more essential compounds anyway. It doesn't add a damn thing just makes the other 90-70% a smaller pie overall.. Gotta get away from that shit. Then it will all make sense.

Oh and stop trimming wet. Every bit of cell damage you do before dry is like cutting onions with a meat tenderizer. It a maka me cry.

Top Bottom