Bud Smells Like Hay! Help

• Thread starter Palmettoman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Palmettoman

Palmettoman

so ive been growing indoors for a year now and every grow I’ve done the bud ends up smelling like hay. It will smell really well for about a week then the next time I go to my bag it smells like hay. Any help would be appreciated.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I dry at 68f at 55-58% humidity. For 10-14 days. Hang the hole plant remove 90% fan leaves. Dry trim. Store my personal in canning jars. The rest goes in double bagged turkey bags With a bovita packet. You’ll hear a lot of confusion in here about bovita bags. I’ve never personally had any issues with them.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

weed that smells like hay is usually one or a combination of the following factors:-
poor genetics.plant taken too early.dried too fast.
you think any of that could apply to you?how long have been blooming your plants for?what genetics are u using,is what strain?
also iv noticed if iv over dried my nugs a bit and i want to put a bit of moisture back in by adding a fresh weed leaf or something after iv managed to put a bit of moister back in it almost always effects the flavour in a negative way.not sure if youv ever had that problem but those are just some things that can effect flavor

Palmettoman

Palmettoman

Genetics are good.
Only thing I can think of is drying a little fast which is hard to control in a small grow area, need a fan going which I have but think it’s causing it to dry fast. I’ve done plenty of leg work on here.

Monster762

Monster762

Genetics are good.
Only thing I can think of is drying a little fast which is hard to control in a small grow area, need a fan going which I have but think it’s causing it to dry fast. I’ve done plenty of leg work on here.
Ok try 60% humidity close to 60degrees as you can get with ton of air movement but not blowing on bud. Make sure hung with little space between. Cut to branches get rid of big stall. Trim now while wet. Check daily. First 2 days it will seem as nothing is happening n getting softer. After that it’ll slowly start stiffening. About 7-10 days it’ll be jarrable and most of all it’ll be right. Jar with hygro if you can. If it hits 70 sit it out on paper or net for couple hours. Make sure room humidity at this stage is lower than jar hygro reads. It should be right before the jar and only get better from there. If it gets harder to light air it out a bit more. Long as your genetics good you should be good to go. No pro but I been here. Been messed up.

Monster762

Monster762

Ok try 60% humidity close to 60degrees as you can get with ton of air movement but not blowing on bud. Make sure hung with little space between. Cut to branches get rid of big stall. Trim now while wet. Check daily. First 2 days it will seem as nothing is happening n getting softer. After that it’ll slowly start stiffening. About 7-10 days it’ll be jarrable and most of all it’ll be right. Jar with hygro if you can. If it hits 70 sit it out on paper or net for couple hours. Make sure room humidity at this stage is lower than jar hygro reads. It should be right before the jar and only get better from there. If it gets harder to light air it out a bit more. Long as your genetics good you should be good to go. No pro but I been here. Been messed up.
Obviously keep room dark too.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Pics would certainly help. Depends on how well it was grown, how much nitrogen was left when you chopped, how well you trimmed it and cured it. All play factors in the end result.

Monster762

Monster762

Pics would certainly help. Depends on how well it was grown, how much nitrogen was left when you chopped, how well you trimmed it and cured it. All play factors in the end result.
True. If you got dark green leaves with no fade you might be stuck. You def got to get the n out during the grow. I cut it completely by week 5-6 and I use a flushing agent 1/2 strength around mid week7 then actually flush run 2 weeks of clean water n molasses only when dry til it’s ready to chop. This is on 60 day strains I also try to run dry the last 2- 3 days before chop. I Always chop at end of a dark period. I think my yields suffer a little but quality is on so that’s what matters to me anyways.

Palmettoman

Palmettoman

I haven’t started flipping this grow. Just wanted inputs before I started flipping next week. This is the only problem I’ve been running into and everything else I’ve tried hasn’t changed anything so figured I would get different growers opinions and do something different this time

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Genetics are good.
i reckon youv nailed it right there.by process o elimination youv come up with the answer.

rootexcess

rootexcess

It's less common for it to be genetics, honestly. Improper drying is almost always the culprit, which bleeds into improper curing. If you are using a fan, allow passive air movement and don't point it at the hanging product. If you are doing a wet trim, stop, and try just removing big leaves but don't trim around buds and do a slow dry. How many days is it taking you to dry?

Palmettoman

Palmettoman

It's less common for it to be genetics, honestly. Improper drying is almost always the culprit, which bleeds into improper curing. If you are using a fan, allow passive air movement and don't point it at the hanging product. If you are doing a wet trim, stop, and try just removing big leaves but don't trim around buds and do a slow dry. How many days is it taking you to dry?
About a week. So just trim the fan leaves and after it dries trim the bud?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
yes,,,,,, its really all about preference but leaving some of the sugar and smaller leaves help slow the drying allowing for better chlorophyll conversion. Excess chlorophyll has a lot to do with final nose and taste. Along with minimal left over N

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I live in the desert and I typically dry my buds for 10-14 days at 60-65 % Rh In a closed room with a fan gently just moving air and never right on the drying racks. You will find the slower you allow the buds to dry the better in overall taste and terp profiles. I cure in jars for 2 months to year or more jar are vacuum sealed with a food saver mason jar attachment and kept in a fridge at 36 d F I could give you a snap from a bud put in 13 months ago let you toke it and you would be amazed.

Palmettoman

Palmettoman

I live in the desert and I typically dry my buds for 10-14 days at 60-65 % Rh In a closed room with a fan gently just moving air and never right on the drying racks. You will find the slower you allow the buds to dry the better in overall taste and terp profiles.
Problem I have here is our temps here are in the high 90’s so the a/c unit in the room circulates the air, can’t really control that part of it because if I kill the ac it will get over 90 degrees in there quick. I’ll try and force the ac in another direction and try leaving leaves on it this time and see what it does.

WhtChocolate

WhtChocolate

I live in the desert and I typically dry my buds for 10-14 days at 60-65 % Rh In a closed room with a fan gently just moving air and never right on the drying racks. You will find the slower you allow the buds to dry the better in overall taste and terp profiles. I cure in jars for 2 months to year or more jar are vacuum sealed with a food saver mason jar attachment and kept in a fridge at 36 d F I could give you a snap from a bud put in 13 months ago let you toke it and you would be amazed.

Why at 36d F Jump?

rootexcess

rootexcess

I come from a background of always doing a wet trim. I always thought it was beautiful to see a fully trimmed wet harvest and I find it easier than dry trimming. At the insistence of colleagues I switched to "big leafing" and following it up with a dry trim. Overall, it does provide a better end product, and I've seen lab results that support that argument as well as my subjective observations. So, yes, essentially you are just removing any large fan leaves. It provides a slower dry which improves overall taste, smoothness and terpene content.

NGA

NGA

I pretty much tried all ways,wet,dry pic ,hang hold plant ,just branches ,bottom line it has to be dry enough that it don't get wet again or sweat , ,some strains really hold their smell well ,some others not as great, and that's with next to no curing in jars

Top Bottom