Buds getting hard, is this normal with 2 weeks left

• Thread starter mikeross
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeross

mikeross

I have had a couple issues a long the way with this first grow and have quickly been able to find information to solve my issues rather easily with the search function. I can't seem to find any regarding to this recent issue.

Tonight I went to check on my room and I notice that most of the buds have kinda hardened up. They still have a sticky feel to them but considering they didnt look like this 2 days ago I am a little concerned.

They look dank for 6 week flowered buds but am worried that this sudden hardening of the buds may also stop my plants from getting more crystals and swelling up. Is this the case or is this normal for buds to somewhat harden up at the start of week 7 on a 8 week strain.

I got a 60-100x loop 2 days ago and at first look the trics all looked cloudy. After playing around with it more I do see about 10-20max% of clear trics. No amber as of yet.

This is the only thing I did differently and I hope I didnt try this technique a little to early. I have a water cooled a/c setup. I was able to keep perfect 83-85 air temp throughout all of flower thus far. 2 days ago I experimented to see how cool my room can get with the lights on. I set the stat on the a/c to 65 and my MINIMUM temp in the room was 81 with lights on once the temps built up... cant get it any lower with lights on. Anyways my night air temps dropped about 5-7 degree. This 5-7 degrees has allowed me to drop my water temps to 60 with lights off. I let it get that low only for 1 night for testing purposes. I have it set now at 63 the next day and it reaches that temp within a few hours of lights off. I am doing this to try get more color in my purple kush.

anyways, Did the above changes cause this hardening to happen? Did I mess up the weight or quality I could have gotten the last 2 weeks? Will they get even harder over time? Should I be very concernd or what. Did I do everything right and just started the process a little early? I seriously was thinking I was gonna smash this first run but this shit is scaring me lol.

I was planning to do a leaf clean up at day 45 which is coming up quick. Should I continued as planned or do I treat this as a deficiency and not stress these plants and go without the cleanup? I did clean them up pretty well at day 21 but really dont feel that has nothing to do with these hardening buds.

I also wanted to point out even though i'm a noob I do know what hard buds look like and my buds have been hard since they started forming flowers but the hardness I am talking about is not from the inside out. Its from the outside in. The outsides of the buds are whats hardening. The insides look nice and gooey just the outer crust.

Sorry for the long post, all help and comments are greatly needed and appreciated.

thank you

EDIT: I forgot to add that over the last 4-5days I have been overfeeding my girls by about 100 ppm. This could also be it but like I said this hardening happen the day after I got the room and water temps colder then normal.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
60 is pretty cold i would try to get the water temps up higher around 68. what are you feeding them? are you using any bud hardeners?

mikeross

mikeross

They have stayed at an average of 68* the entire time. I was the one who allowed the temps to get that low. I am trying to get them to color up. I know guys in those UC are running similar techniques and are doing well. Just hoping that this hardening is normal.

They have been fed with sensi ab and given bud blood, big bud, overdrive, roots excell, some algen and multizym. All these issues also started around the time I started running overdrive. But this hardening happen the very next day after temps were changed.

I just wanted to know if this is normal for guys who are purposely trying to color up their buds and if this is going to hurt the swell or further tric production in the last 2 weeks.

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

Dude if you are running the lvpk thats just how she is
Hard as a rock

aleYarok

aleYarok

not that i know what im talking about but im sure it will help others help you...;
can you define hard?
do mean like really dense? or dry? sucks your camera had to decided to not play nice =(

S

space101

Do you mean like they went from a squeezable density to a hard rock like density? If so that's because of the Overdrive I used it last run and all my buds got hard like rocks in about 2 days when starting the Overdrive.

mikeross

mikeross

Do you mean like they went from a squeezable density to a hard rock like density? If so that's because of the Overdrive I used it last run and all my buds got hard like rocks in about 2 days when starting the Overdrive.

Your comment made me feel a whole lot better lol. Yes I have started using overdrive and a few days later this happen. I noticed it the next day after I dropped my room and res temps so I assumed that was it.

Since I posted a few members told me its normal and it something I want to strive for. You are the first to comment on the overdrive and I actually think that was the cause. We lowered temps in my friends room and his buds did not get hard like mine... he's not using overdrive or any type of hardener additive.

I don't know why I didnt think it could have been the overdrive.

thanks everyone for the comments, very much appreciated.

Top Bottom