Buds in shadow frostier and smellier, poor smell overall

• Thread starter farmboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
farmboy

farmboy

What does it mean when buds in the shadow has more resin and smells better than ones exposed to the light. Overall plants has very weak to none smell, but it would be acceptable if all of flowers smelled like ones in the shadow. It smells almost nothing when it grows, and its totally odorless when dried and cured. They aren't picked too early, or too late. It would seem to me, that they start to pick up the smell (but nothing serious) in the starting phase of flowering but then it slowly fades trough the end of grow. This is happening to me over and over again. I'm using 300 W of Vero29 C 3500k over one square m, cobs are about 80 cm away, (i tried closer too, but no improvement). No light bleaching or anything. Not any major deficiencies are seen, i grew strains (autos) that should stink a lot but there were no need for carbon filters or anything.. I tried with lower and higher wattage without good results (but i didn't go bellow 200 W, should i do that perhaps?) . Its getting me mad. Plants are in same room with me, if that could be an issue, and no, its not me getting used to smell, its confirmed by others. I thought that plant should generally have at least some smell without any effort. They are fed with biobizz. Temps never exceeds 30 C, they are mostly 26 C. Effects are fine to great, yields are very good. I do lst and topping, if that could be an issue? I'm running out of ideas.
I know some of you would love odorless plants but not me. Thanks.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

To much light and too hot is why lowers are better than uppers. Moving the light away a little will likely help. As well as lower canopy temps and good but not too dorect air flow and circulation.

Environmental conditions are most important for quality.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

here is a thought,probally not right but here it goes,maybe the lights are to strong and the shadow side as you call it smells but side in light doesnt,like cooking it off ,that would make sense,outdoors in the sun straight up and 100 degrees they melt like wax,then as the sun settles east to west, they alll sudden bounce back with life,mine do this,heat and lights /sun as they are today,maybe you got to much,lighter side would be the side not getting cooked ,so balance is what you need, so one of teo choices ,more light side lighting or less over all light,thats what im thinking,im one that would love no smell myself,i always have the thing reeking when i open that tent,couple times i had mama to cook some onions to hide the smell from unexpected visitor you dig hahaha,your choice ,smell or no smell

farmboy

farmboy

Thanks, i'm gonna try to go with lower power and will try to improve air circulation, since there is not much else i can do and these led's are very efficient and we will see. Its nice trick i think to know, if that is the truth and if you don't want the smell. I think PAR meter would help a lot, but they are too expensive. I hope yields wont drop too much, but quality over quantity i guess. How many wattage would you recommend, since i think general recommendations are little out of date since efficiency of lighting is improving. Anyhow, thanks, i will try and post results.

Last edited:
Kevinkellog

Kevinkellog

Definitely a heat problem. Get
Your lights away from the canopy and make sure to get your temps down. Seems like the terpenes are just getting burnt up as soon as they are produced from the plants.

Latest posts

Top Bottom