Bug Season Approching..

• Thread starter Buzzer777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

With the bug season fast approaching, I am looking for more ways to stop the hoards from getting to my indoor crop. Been thinking that maybe essential oils diffused in the room may just be the answer for me..I use FFOF and FFHF and the bags always have a few Gnats that hatch when I water..(Perlite on top of soil helps stop the larvae, and sticky traps for the flyers, but want the fix to be proactive.)
Anyone out there using this method?

Organikz

Organikz

With the bug season fast approaching, I am looking for more ways to stop the hoards from getting to my indoor crop. Been thinking that maybe essential oils diffused in the room may just be the answer for me..I use FFOF and FFHF and the bags always have a few Gnats that hatch when I water..(Perlite on top of soil helps stop the larvae, and sticky traps for the flyers, but want the fix to be proactive.)
Anyone out there using this method?
Man I can tell you how to stop them dead. Pine bark nursery fines. Ever since I laid these down as a mulch cover I see 0 gnats. Pinene in the mulch is what will eventually wipe them out. They can't stand it and when they are exposed it blocks their pheromone receptors up.

MissBotany

MissBotany

You could look into companion planting. A lot of common herbs help to repel a lot pests. Dill and fennel will likely be your best bet to keep away your common plant eating pests. It won’t be 100% successful but it should help.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Mint and lavender I believe are great companion plants. Used some fresh mints cuttings and hung them in the branches of an outdoor plant to help with some mites. Seemed to do the trick.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Mint and lavender I believe are great companion plants. Used some fresh mints cuttings and hung them in the branches of an outdoor plant to help with some mites. Seemed to do the trick.
Hmmm..I have some Citronella and Lavender essential oils..gonna move a aroma therapy unit into the room as season approaches.
I took some FFOF from an open bag in my own garage..shortly thereafter a single gnat flew into a sticky trap..and so it begins again....

Dbear180

Dbear180

I've been using the mosquito dunks for a bit & have no complaints. Crumble a little in the bottom of pots to make sure it gets to the drain holes & dress a little on the top because gravity. I havent had a gnat infestation in a few years. I've seen a couple flying around my house lately but its spring time so its gonna happen.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I'm kind of blown away with the effectiveness of the yellow stickies too. So simple yet effective. You mentioned perlite topped in your containers? I've also read that a layer of clay grow stones will do the trick. Figure any pebbles could work too, just add long as the mineral content doesn't effect the pH and such.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I'm kind of blown away with the effectiveness of the yellow stickies too. So simple yet effective. You mentioned perlite topped in your containers? I've also read that a layer of clay grow stones will do the trick. Figure any pebbles could work too, just add long as the mineral content doesn't effect the pH and such.
Before I was able to locate the yellow stickeys I wanted.(Ebay had them)..I tried to use fly paper..problem was it was all over me before I even got it unrolled..Damn tough to get unstuck and cleaned up too..LOL

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Hmmm..I have some Citronella and Lavender essential oils..gonna move a aroma therapy unit into the room as season approaches.
I took some FFOF from an open bag in my own garage..shortly thereafter a single gnat flew into a sticky trap..and so it begins again....

6yr ffof user. I found pretty much every bag has them. My go to, PROMIS!!!
.5ml/gal kills them all. I use the first 3 waterings of any new soil. I've yet to see a flying anything in my garden.
Ever!

Ffof also puts hyposasis miles in their bags to eat the fg and larvae. Was told from a rep 4 yrs ago. You WILL see them and think their spider mites at 1st notice.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

6yr ffof user. I found pretty much every bag has them. My go to, PROMIS!!!
.5ml/gal kills them all. I use the first 3 waterings of any new soil. I've yet to see a flying anything in my garden.
Ever!

Ffof also puts hyposasis miles in their bags to eat the fg and larvae. Was told from a rep 4 yrs ago. You WILL see them and think their spider mites at 1st notice.
Last summer, I found that If I sprayed Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew on the FF soils BEFORE I used it..No more gnats (so far..going to check again the yr since I have a bunch of Captain's concentrate left)
Great info about the Hyposasis mites..I would have gone after them for sure..Thanks!!!!!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I'm sorry, but that's A LOT of work to do.

Simple soil drench with .5ml/g 3x back to back with promis.

Easy peasy.

I already spend 6hrs min daily in my garden. Another 3 hrs making deliveries. On top of having a 4.5yr old son, stay at home dad, family, and side work, my 4hrs of sleep is very precious.

Edit
I used to work 18hr days 7 days a week 8 months out of the uyr for one of the big3 auto companies. So hard work and little sleep is what I'm used to.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Not really a lot of work..
Captain's has neem oil and is supposed to be safe for veggies..
I just spray the top of the soil while it is still in the bag..takes about 30 seconds..

I am retired with only my 2 dogs to care for, so I have lots of time to play/work in the garden..

stiffneck

stiffneck

Man I can tell you how to stop them dead. Pine bark nursery fines. Ever since I laid these down as a mulch cover I see 0 gnats. Pinene in the mulch is what will eventually wipe them out. They can't stand it and when they are exposed it blocks their pheromone receptors up.

Recently started a indoor room. Fuking gnats. I like the yellow sticky traps they work well but I am always running my big melon into them and they stick to my hair...

Got some of this ordered and will try it.... thanks!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Promis!
.5mltgallon soil.drench
3x back to back

No more fg.

And NEVER bring in outdoor vegetation and put 9n indoor plants. Great way to bring in bugs

stiffneck

stiffneck

Promis!
.5mltgallon soil.drench
3x back to back

No more fg.

And NEVER bring in outdoor vegetation and put 9n indoor plants. Great way to bring in bugs

Yup I'm sure there are a few ways to deal with them... I don' have gnats in my greenhouse but indoor yes. I hear ya on the not mixing the outdoor and indoor but that isn' practical for me. I would have to change clothes and shower each time? Haha I'm not doing that. I just let it ride and do ok.... but yeah those gnats....haha.

I don' think there would be a way to keep them seperate. Im moving shit from outdoor to indoor and vice versa...

Let' see.... it' only May... so most likely will seriously regret my gardening habits....

stiffneck

stiffneck

Promis!
.5mltgallon soil.drench
3x back to back

No more fg.

The site says something like don't use 21 days before harvest. That kid d of shit scares me.

Top Bottom