Bugs in new coco!

• Thread starter whiskeygirl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
Man I get all itchy just looking at those pictures! Regular Aphids suck, too! I remember back in the late 90's when I was a newer grower and taking down and trimming a crop covered in those fucking things, I still get the heebie jeebies when I see em!

In my current coco grows I have had great luck with the Bayer Tree and Shrub, I treat every crop with it, right after they get moved into the flower room, usually before I actually flip to 12/12. 5 ml per gallon, and I flush em good, wet every cubic inch of coco with the solution and let em sit for a couple days before I water/fert again. Seems to work well, keeps the root aphids of em till harvest. I've lost crops in my DWC to those little bastards, they suck!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I see "regular" aphids in that photo, but the "regular" aphids I'm familiar with are grey/white and are farmed by the Argentinian ants so prevalent on the west coast (but not here!).
Root APhids... Mother of God ...Good and Evil...I hate those lil bastards.....in all honesty...all my friends thats have encounterd these Silent Assasins came to the conlusion ....THROW EVERYTHING AWAY! Nuke your rooms...start over...unless your just about to harvest....these things will haunt you...they are the Grimm Reeper of your garden....I know people that have moved locations due to them...its one the reason i grow from seed and Im terrified at times to get cuts..you just never know...no matter how clean you are ...
What a circle they've started, man oh man. It's put a knock on me, too, and I'm re-evaluating EVERYTHING about how I do things. Right now I'm thinking no more indoor growing for me at all, just keeping moms, cloning, and flower out what I can outside during the season and leave it at that.

Two harvests trashed (I still need to destroy one, can't have that sitting around) with an approximate total of around 15lbs unusable bud. I know that's small potatoes for a lot of growers, but for *me*, that is one HELL of a pinch, one hell of a pinch. Had I put all my eggs in one basket and done only indoor as I'd been thinking, all would be lost and I'd be trying to figure out how to afford buying from a dispensary right about now.

While I went with Spectracide, and it worked better than anything else I used, including imidacloprid, I plan on sourcing Trichoderma harzianum and using a suite of fungi to see if I can stop these root aphid motherfuckerest motherfuckers in the growing world from doing their thing. T. harzianum seems to prevent females from laying eggs in the medium (and that's something I learned via a paper someone shared here). Arizona extension, can't remember right now.

Hopefull Stoner

Hopefull Stoner

Root aphids stuff to check

yall want Root aphids? (pun intended)

just some stuff found online in a quick search.

Root aphids
By Ed Rosenthal - Sunday, June 1 2003
Tags: Ask Ed CC43 GROWING Pests
How can I eliminate an aphid colonization?
How can I eliminate or at least vastly inhibit aphid colonization? They are colonizing at roots on rockwool cubes exposed to the atmosphere.
Erich,
Guerneville, California

Root aphids colonize and suck juices from roots in many mediums including horticultural pebbles, rockwool and planting mixes. They are persistent, so it requires some discipline to eliminate them. There are several organic products that can be used without affecting the plant, the buds, or the safety of the buds for later human consumption. The first is organic pyrethrum. This is a natural insecticide gathered from a chrysanthemum-type flower. There are several brands of liquid concentrate. If pyrethrum liquid is not available at your local nursery or garden shop you can order it on the internet.

Botanigard is an insecticide that is composed of a living fungus, beauveria bassiana. This fungus seeks out aphids and infects them, causing death. Then it releases spores waiting for more victims. It also works to control whiteflies and thrips. You can order it at many garden stores or through garden websites on the internet.

Neem oil and citrus oil have also been used to kill aphids, but they sometimes affect the roots. Test them on a sample plant before using either of them in the garden.

The aphids should be treated every other day with a minimum of six treatments. Rotate the insecticides. Botanigard can be combined with pyrethrum. The neem and citrus oils can be mixed with each other as well as pyrethrum. The idea is to totally eliminate the pests.

If the plants are growing in a hydroponic system, rather than mixing the treatment in the reservoir, make a special batch of water. Turn off the hydroponic system and water the plants using a watering can. Let the insecticide water stay in the root area for at least an hour before turning the hydroponic unit back on.

Once the aphids are gone, it is difficult for them to reinfect. They were probably introduced to your garden by a new element such as a clone or infected planting mix.

here's a nice artcile with links & pic's.
http://www.hydrocanna.com/infirmary/7127-fungus-gnats-aphids-how-can-you-tell-2.html

http://www.themarijuanareport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Phylloxera_p-16281.gif

2325764527 80d65cd6e3
User20270 pic369202 1272925846
D

Dulce

Is there something I can do to treat coco outside before I mix it and put in pots?? A drench of some sort?? Or even just put in a garbage can, seal the lid on and let it burn in the sun for, say, a week??

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I think the best thing to do is not spread info that you have not tried yourself. Azamax/Azatrol they swim in it. Bayer tree and shrub will knock them down not out. It will also stay in your plants a lot longer then 60 days. The thing that everyone doesnt want to hear is kill your moms, veg, flower, bleach everything. Hay had the right idea. Pressure cook. I microwave all my coco now. Dont get outside cuts. Isolate them if I do for some reason for a couple months plus now. Go over them with a fine tooth comb. This is one thing I will never be fucking lazy or say "hey its prob ok" again. The headache makes you want to stop growing. I used to think Dusty was kind of a dick when he saw root aphid threads and he would lock them and say kill your shit everything else wont work. I kind of see where he is coming from now.

Have something you dont want to lose? Look into Tissue Culture.

Before all of this I would def focus on id'ng the bug and make sure it is what you think before you take drastic measures. If its your worst fear then read the thread(s) and make a decision. Take it from someone who fought with these little fuckers for over a year before I bit the bullet. BTW and wasted tons of money on shit that doesnt work.

COCOLOCO

COCOLOCO

bs buddy. has solved 3 seperate issues... what app rate did u use?

bloads

bloads

I see "regular" aphids in that photo, but the "regular" aphids I'm familiar with are grey/white and are farmed by the Argentinian ants so prevalent on the west coast (but not here!).

!!!!

Those stinky, unpleasantly astringent-tasting ants finally aren't a nuisance!! Great info, as usualy Sea, thanks.

Ever after

Ever after

this only happens from coco that was stored outside before you bought it so its most likely a good idea to go to places that do not store their coco outdoors . ever.

bloads

bloads

My local hydro store has been selling me this stuff that you can use w/your nutes, every time you feed, @2ML per gallon. I asked them what it was, and I can't remember if he said Permethrin, or Pyrethrum.

They bought their own 15 gallon source of it, and sell small unlabeled flasks, if you ask for it. They said usually it's not this concentrated, and it's usually in a more oily mixture. They use it in their own crops, they were telling me, they run straight hydro. I run cocoa, and have been running it for a few weeks now. Every root aphid I see that touches the water, flips out and flops around for about 10 seconds, then dies. My plants don't seem to notice the stuff at all. I just need to douse my entire room in a spray of it I think.... they bastards still hide out somewhere & multiply somehow.

So, yeah... The Permethrin/Pyrethrum works very well, I'm just good at missing all the spots I should be cleaning.

J

johnjays13

can i use the bayer tree and shrub at 5ml per gallon in my soil?

bloads

bloads

Then they arent root aphids.

I wish that wasn't the case, unfortunately I'm actually here with the bugs and I'm able to say that they're root aphids. I wish I was lucky enough to be behind a keyboard whereas I'd know that they weren't.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
ya because me and half the other people on this board who actually had and have root aphids decided we didnt want the quick fix that would just kill them dead. We decided to take the hard way kill all our plants, use crazy mold spores and other treatments that are questionable and expensive when something as simple as Permethrin/Pyrethrum would have killed them. Oh yea and Im sure none of us tried that either while we were at it.

Did you actually read any of the root aphid threads or were you just hiding behind a keyboard as you put it?

Seriously dude I dont spread Bullshit when it comes to this because this is some peoples lively hood. We are all trying to work towards the same goal. Do you have root aphids....who knows? When it comes to root aphids agree or disagree but if thats killing them then its not root aphids because they swim in that stuff. Shit imid and triazicide will knock them down but not out. Shit dont believe me jump in one of the root aphid threads and see what they go through and what works and doesnt.

Illmind

Illmind

big circle indeed, i believe roots organics is to blame. i used it forever no prob, even after i seen warnings of em in it still no probs. 2 months back i went for dirt and literally seen tons of em jumping off the bags and on to the next. so now u have to really watch your ass as it's spread to brands like fox farm that are stacked close by. good luck farmers

bloads

bloads

.... Shit dont believe me jump in one of the root aphid threads and see what they go through and what works and doesnt.

Been there, read them. Nothing else was working for me, none of the other things that people were saying to try.

Luckily for me my hydro store guys have all struggled through root aphids, and after a year of trying different products, they stumbled across the one that I'm using (unfortunately it's no longer able to be sold in CA, so I'm going to have to find a new source of it).

:ninja

O

offroadingfj420

Get a package of lady bugs and if that doesnt work try D/t earth, insectidal soap, or look up and see if root aphids have a specific predator. ladybugs annihilated my spider mite infestation overnight last grow. just open the container inside your tent and leave em overnight, or open it after sunset if you're outside. when the aphids are gone u gotta let the ladybugs leave or u get 1000s of corpses lol.

J

Jalisco Kid

Get a package of lady bugs and if that doesnt work try D/t earth, insectidal soap, or look up and see if root aphids have a specific predator. ladybugs annihilated my spider mite infestation overnight last grow. just open the container inside your tent and leave em overnight, or open it after sunset if you're outside. when the aphids are gone u gotta let the ladybugs leave or u get 1000s of corpses lol.

What does the borg have to do with root aphids? JK

J

Jalisco Kid

My local hydro store has been selling me this stuff that you can use w/your nutes, every time you feed, @2ML per gallon. I asked them what it was, and I can't remember if he said Permethrin, or Pyrethrum.

They bought their own 15 gallon source of it, and sell small unlabeled flasks, if you ask for it. They said usually it's not this concentrated, and it's usually in a more oily mixture. They use it in their own crops, they were telling me, they run straight hydro. I run cocoa, and have been running it for a few weeks now. Every root aphid I see that touches the water, flips out and flops around for about 10 seconds, then dies. My plants don't seem to notice the stuff at all. I just need to douse my entire room in a spray of it I think.... they bastards still hide out somewhere & multiply somehow.

So, yeah... The Permethrin/Pyrethrum works very well, I'm just good at missing all the spots I should be cleaning.

So please tell me what you use that has ra dieing in 10 sec. I would like to try a soak for 10 min. I will bet SD's ra's will be flipping me off. JK

Top Bottom