Building A Hlg 550 Clone

• Thread starter cobbler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cobbler

i see a kit that is listed at growerslights.com which is a kit version of the hlg 550 which uses the hlg 600-54b driver what are your guys thoughts on this over using the driver over the hlg 550 one (hlg 480 - 2100a) im looking into building 2 lights and using the lights over a 4x8 area honestly im am thinking i would be better off with the 480 but the differences in the cost of drivers is less the 100 dollars maybe i would be better off with more power .....

currently i have bought 8 qb 288 boards in hopes of building 2 clone lights

looking for input on :
1) 480w vs 600w drivers, efficiency is my overall goal but im also replacing 2 1k hps setups
it seems the kit light puts out about 25% more light but there must be a reason that isnt used in the production 550 light

2)possible heatsink ideas

3) im also thinking about breaking the boards up into 4 or 5 2 board lights would use 240w driver obviously but ive heard this might be my best route but it seems the 240w driver is the least efficient (93.5) where the 480 (95) and lastly the 600 (96)

https://growerslights.com/products/...00h-quantum-board-led-kit?variant=42943942538

sixstring

sixstring

yeah hlg uses the 480 driver on their builds for a few reasons.1 its able to be wired in series,2 its not pushing the boards as hard so it will last forever and has better efficacy,higher efficiency than using the hlg 600.
youll notice they(growerslights.com) only have a 1 year warranty if you let them assemble it where hlg has a 3 year. so the bigger driver uses parallel wiring and if ya used 6 boards with it this way it would be awesome because you would have a better footprint with 6 boards and higher efficacy running only 100w per board.actually with that driver you can run 4,5,6,7,8 boards.but with only 4 boards i would advise using some type of thermal break/protection in line with your wiring so if ya lost a board to heat or any other issue the rest of the boards would be protected.in series wiring with the hlg 480 you dont have to worry about this.
so if ya used the bigger 600w driver and run 6 boards,now you have some built in protections without using any type of therm breaks,because even if ya lost 1 or even 2 boards the other 4 boards can still handle the extra power coming to them.highly unlikely you would have issue unless your room is super hot and ya had zero airflow across the fixture.

K

kansabis

I'm doin something very similar only using x8 qb120 on a 4x4 tent,using the 480h-c2100 driver.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

yeah hlg uses the 480 driver on their builds for a few reasons.1 its able to be wired in series,2 its not pushing the boards as hard so it will last forever and has better efficacy,higher efficiency than using the hlg 600.
youll notice they(growerslights.com) only have a 1 year warranty if you let them assemble it where hlg has a 3 year. so the bigger driver uses parallel wiring and if ya used 6 boards with it this way it would be awesome because you would have a better footprint with 6 boards and higher efficacy running only 100w per board.actually with that driver you can run 4,5,6,7,8 boards.but with only 4 boards i would advise using some type of thermal break/protection in line with your wiring so if ya lost a board to heat or any other issue the rest of the boards would be protected.in series wiring with the hlg 480 you dont have to worry about this.
so if ya used the bigger 600w driver and run 6 boards,now you have some built in protections without using any type of therm breaks,because even if ya lost 1 or even 2 boards the other 4 boards can still handle the extra power coming to them.highly unlikely you would have issue unless your room is super hot and ya had zero airflow across the fixture.

This is pure GOLD. Confirms why I DON"T DIY lights

Latest posts

Top Bottom