Building a light trap?

• Thread starter SpartanHero
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SpartanHero

SpartanHero

So I call myself trying to build a light trap. I have a small tent and it only has 2 bottom mesh flap and 1 duct port on the bottom. I use the duct port on the top to vent out the hot air. At first I was using the flaps but they obviously let in light and it seemed easier to make a light trap using the duct one. So it’s an 8in diameter hole, that’s bigger than the 4in exhaust hole. Light doesn’t bend and black absorbs light so I got a ducting elbow and spray painted the inside black. It wasn’t a solid bend and it was too short. So I got a ducting T bend. It works but there’s still a little light leak and I feel like it obstructs airflow. I thought it would be good because it’s open on both ends compared to an elbow. I took a video to explain better. Any suggestions or alterations.

SpartanHero

SpartanHero

I make a “U” with the flexible duct through the tent hole pointing at the floors. Then rubber band a piece of black air conditioner replacement filter foam on each end.

Breathes easy and lightproof.

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Replace...onditioning+filter+foam&qid=1590605020&sr=8-3
I was gonna put like stockings or something on there but that seems better lol. I think your U is what I was trying to do with the elbow. Do you just have it facing up towards the ceiling or left or right?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I was gonna put like stockings or something on there but that seems better lol. I think your U is what I was trying to do with the elbow. Do you just have it facing up towards the ceiling or left or right?

I was only using these for intakes. Downward u ends pointing toward the floor through the lower socks.

For exhaust i would bend in an “S”.

Takes a piece of foam on both ends to be lightproof with only one bend.

And black stockings work but restrict more air flow.

Top Bottom