Burn or deficiency?

• Thread starter a65f31fz6
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

a65f31fz6

Hello. As you can see my big fan leaves are beginning to deteriorate and discolour.

Pics are from two different strains experiencing the same problem.

Background. Plants are potted in regular soil. I've been watering them every day I'm guessing due to above average temperatures. .

Temperature has been rather warm. Giving them nutrients appropriate for vegging every second to third waterings.

Suggestions please?

Burn or deficiency
Burn or deficiency 2
Burn or deficiency 3
Burn or deficiency 4
Burn or deficiency 5
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What kind of temps are we talking about with what RH? Showing some signs of heat stress but not bad. Im wondering if root temps might be getting a bit high. How big is that planter? Looking like very early signs of cal and mag deficiency, possibly ph related or sodium build up.

With warm temps and low humidity the plants will drink a lot more and you will want to reduce feed strength to prevent nute burn or lockout.

A

a65f31fz6

Also I've moved the plants so the planters are not getting as hot. I've noticed that I have to water them less about once every second day now

BudBogart

BudBogart

Also I've moved the plants so the planters are not getting as hot. I've noticed that I have to water them less about once every second day now

Putting something like plywood, cardboard, anything that will protect the roots from the sun might help. Overall, plant looks good.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The plants look pretty healthy to me other than some leaf edge drying, which could be heat and humidity related. I'd follow the earlier recommendations of keeping roots cooler if possible and going easy on nutrients. A cal-mag foliar application is a good way to see if the problem is a deficiency, as the results are pretty fast and it bypasses the roots, in the event that there is a nute lockout that is happening or starting.

Ace9137

Ace9137

Hello. As you can see my big fan leaves are beginning to deteriorate and discolour.

Pics are from two different strains experiencing the same problem.

Background. Plants are potted in regular soil. I've been watering them every day I'm guessing due to above average temperatures. .

Temperature has been rather warm. Giving them nutrients appropriate for vegging every second to third waterings.

Suggestions please?
it does look like the onset of a deficiency.

Ace9137

Ace9137

The plants look pretty healthy to me other than some leaf edge drying, which could be heat and humidity related. I'd follow the earlier recommendations of keeping roots cooler if possible and going easy on nutrients. A cal-mag foliar application is a good way to see if the problem is a deficiency, as the results are pretty fast and it bypasses the roots, in the event that there is a nute lockout that is happening or starting.
^^^^thats it.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
One other thing about the hot soil mix, it was recommended to put this at the very bottom of the growing container. The idea is that the roots will grow downward and encounter the Hot Mix, then either grow into it if the plant is hungry, or not grow into it if it doesn't need fed. This brings up two issues. The first is that plant's root systems don't usually decide to grow or not, depending on the plant's needs. With that being said, as the plants are getting older, their roots are "reaching" the Hot Soil. If the hot soil has too much nutrients in it or something else that the plants don't like, it will take it a little time for the roots to grow down far enough after transplanting. Roots DO seem to grow slower if they have enough nutrients, but I don't think it has anything to do with the plant telling the roots to grow deeper. This would explain, however, the slightly delayed onset of problems with #3. Numbers 1 and 2 were in Promix, which is nutrient sparse and would cause the roots to search for more fertile conditions. #3 had plenty from the FFOF and had slower root development. In any case, I feel that when the roots encountered the Hot Soil, they didn't like something and now you are seeing nutrient imbalance issues. Not necessarily a nute deficiency, more of a nute lockout caused by competing nutrients.

Latest posts

Top Bottom