Burnt Edges And Leaves Curling Up

• Thread starter StandingRock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StandingRock

StandingRock

Little problem here that literally happened in a few hours. I've had some very minor nutrient burn the last two weeks and I've been reducing my feeds(advanced nutrients for coco) down to .8 ec, 3 feedings a day. Growing in coco, temps are a nice 77 degrees, humidity is 60%, platinum led light is 26" away. Leaf tips are curling up and badly burned. Any thoughts?

Burnt edges and leaves curling up
StandingRock

StandingRock

After some thought it really didn't get bad until I switched to .8 ec from 1. Full strength AN is over 2.2, but according to sales its hard to get an accurate reading on it because of the buffers and amino acids. Im thinking AN needs to be at fuller strength to allow uptake at a larger PH range. Doing partial strength isn't allowing it do its job. On that note I'm switching to GH trio and dealing with PH. I can't blindly add amounts of nutrients without being able to measure EC and worry about buffers and stuff. I went ahead and flushed with 3 liters of RO water and clearex and then applied a full strength dose of AN and some super thrive until my GH can arrive. I'll see what happens.

StandingRock

StandingRock

Thank you for your response! I believe part of it was due to drying out, I usually water three times daily at a low EC, but I had to work all day and combined it into one large watering yesterday morning. Everything else you mentioned has seemed optimal and the plant was doing amazing till this morning. It was 20" tall and super dense nodes at 5 weeks.

mango420

mango420

Do you feed every time? It looks like heat burn but if nothing changed in your environment then most likely nute burn from your medium drying out.

StandingRock

StandingRock

Well my ph meter wasn't calibrated either and I believe Sunday night I added 300 ml of RO water just because I had been gone all day. I might have downed the ph way to low because I did another flush today( the first flush using a poorly calibrated meter) and the first liter of runoff came to a whopping 4.5. I put another 10 liters through it until the ph came to 5.8. We'll see what happens. Just part of the learning process I guess. I intend on water with ph RO water only for a day or two and see what happens. Then half strengths nutes after that

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Drying out a little too much can cause some leaf damage but doesn't usually affect yield too much overwatering on the other hand is much worse even once kills roots
If its in straight coco and you are watering 3 times a day it would most likely be one of two things. Overwatering due to poor drainage causing roots to sit in stagnant waterlogged media and get root rot or buildup of salts in the coco causing nute lockouts.
If your coco stays completly drenched and isnt allowed to dry a bit before watering again it can cause root rot just like in dirt, auto watering systems are bad for this but can be combatted by adding perlite to your coco.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Well my ph meter wasn't calibrated either and I believe Sunday night I added 300 ml of RO water just because I had been gone all day. I might have downed the ph way to low because I did another flush today( the first flush using a poorly calibrated meter) and the first liter of runoff came to a whopping 4.5. I put another 10 liters through it until the ph came to 5.8. We'll see what happens. Just part of the learning process I guess. I intend on water with ph RO water only for a day or two and see what happens. Then half strengths nutes after that
Never water coco with straight water until the final flush, it will just cause more problems.

mango420

mango420

Never water coco with straight water until the final flush, it will just cause more problems.
I would have to disagree with this. Altho I use a high perlite to coco ratio for my medium, i used to run straight coco and occasionally I run the odd plant straight coco. I never had any issues feeding just water in between feedings. And i never even ph the water even tho its about 6.5 out of the tap. Now if we are talking flushing with just water thats a different story.

StandingRock

StandingRock

Hey guys I wanted to update this plant. I'm starting to get it under control. 50% of leaf mass died off, but it's looking much better. I'm on the GH Head Formula now. Ph runoff is finally 5.5 and climbing daily. Ppm runoff was a high 2200 but I flushed many gallons of 1/4 strength through it. Yesterday was 600 after feeding 1/2 strength and today is 300 after feeding 1/4 strength. It's got some nutrient burn but I'll be watching runoff. I've been slowly pruning the leaves as the dead ones dry up. Overall it really was just a lack of knowledge on my part. Will this plant produce bud if I veg for another month or so?

IMG 2398
stonestacker

stonestacker

Hey guys I wanted to update this plant. I'm starting to get it under control. 50% of leaf mass died off, but it's looking much better. I'm on the GH Head Formula now. Ph runoff is finally 5.5 and climbing daily. Ppm runoff was a high 2200 but I flushed many gallons of 1/4 strength through it. Yesterday was 600 after feeding 1/2 strength and today is 300 after feeding 1/4 strength. It's got some nutrient burn but I'll be watching runoff. I've been slowly pruning the leaves as the dead ones dry up. Overall it really was just a lack of knowledge on my part. Will this plant produce bud if I veg for another month or so?
Yes it will make some nice bud. In a month that plant will be huge. Remember that plant will stretch 2-3 times the size in flower.
Now you are hooked on growing lol. Start studying and take notes.
Good luck and grow on. :smoking:

mancdank

mancdank

Looks like not enough moisture in those leaves.... could be from lights too close, too much nutes in medium, too dry, too hot, too much wind, letting medium get too dry( one good dry out can cause lasting damage) or a strong foliar spray ( or sprays accumulating over time) whatever it is or was for that matter those leaves need more water in them not likely more nutes. Flushing them thru was good but I don't think the strong feed was the best option .... AN is fine just don't trust the "ph perfect" part it only really works for RO(20ppm or under) get a decent ph meter keep it calibrated and some strips to help verify keep it in the 5.8-6.1 range. Move your light up for few days see if it helps and if you have any fans trained right on them angle them up a bit or turn down to lower setting.... Make sure your water temps are decent too I like 70-75 but i use it straight away if it's gonna sit and warm before use( multiple waterings) slightly cooler might be better.... Hope it works out for ya either way;)
Agreed leaf curl like this is usually through the rh being to low

StandingRock

StandingRock

It was way more than lead curl. I should have taken more pictures. Half the leaves turned yellow and withered up and died.

Tommy Gonzo

Tommy Gonzo

Hi! May I jump in here? I believe something similar was going on with one of mine, but I flushed it completely saturating it with three gallons of clean h2o in one sitting, so I'll wait and see what that does. Now concerning this Pineapple Chunk can someone clue me in on what's causing the leaves to ripple, and tips to curl downward? Is it still burnt?
20161222 114428
20161222 114358

Top Bottom