Burying a plant deep question

• Thread starter Halebop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Halebop

When you bury a plant deep during transplant does it mean you are cutting off the top half of the soil for roots to grow in? I know people say that more roots grow off the buried stem but I'm not sure they always do. Can I Bury a plant say half down a in a pot and it will have enough space to grow good roots?

SSgrower

SSgrower

The only time I bury a plants apical meristem is when it "stretches" too much. As a plant grows thru a combination of cell growth & cell division or "Mitosis",
most of the meristem is above the media. Sometimes due to stretching we bury the stem deeper to support the main stem in it's continued growth. The vascular cambium & cork cambium are the secondary Meristem. The vascular canbium is responsible for the increasing the diameter of the stems & roots and making woody tissue. The cork cambium produces some of the bark. This is "Horticulture 101". SS

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

The only time I bury a plants apical meristem is when it "stretches" too much. As a plant grows thru a combination of cell growth & cell division or "Mitosis",
most of the meristem is above the media. Sometimes due to stretching we bury the stem deeper to support the main stem in it's continued growth. The vascular cambium & cork cambium are the secondary Meristem. The vascular canbium is responsible for the increasing the diameter of the stems & roots and making woody tissue. The cork cambium produces some of the bark. This is "Horticulture 101". SS
All of that information and you didn’t answer any of the OP’s questions

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Roots will grow up and down, side to side where ever they can find water and nutrients. I bury half of my plant after the seedling gets tall and is ready for transplant so it has better support but I’ve never buried let’s say a clone or teen half way bc it would have nodes/branches. I wouldn’t bury nodes. But if you cut those nodes off and buried the stem it would probably grow roots from the cut nodes

SSgrower

SSgrower

Thank you for expounding the answer, I am a "novice" grower at best & sometimes I try to answer questions but the answer goes off course.Cheers SS

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Thank you for expounding the answer, I am a "novice" grower at best & sometimes I try to answer questions but the answer goes off course.Cheers SS
I wouldn’t say novice haha You definitely sound like you know what your talking about

SSgrower

SSgrower

Thanks bro, I grew when I was 16-18 years old in Tennessee, 4 years of High School Agriculture then 1 yr. Horticulture at Texas A&M to certify as a Master Gardener. Cultivating cannabis is a "Whole nother ballgame" I am here to learn from you all,Cheers SS

Z

Zill

Halebib,

Let these two twist off into universe.

I’m not sure if cannabis will generate adventitious roots if you place the plant deeper in the soil. Solanaceous plants like, potato, tobacco, eggplant and of course tomatoes are known for that and folks like me plant tomatoes very deep.

I’ll look it up.

Zill.

Z

Zill

SS,
All plants have three meristems: Root, shots and leaves. A meristem is characterized by rapid cell division. PLS 102.

Zill.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Halebib,

Let these two twist off into universe.

I’m not sure if cannabis will generate adventitious roots if you place the plant deeper in the soil. Solanaceous plants like, potato, tobacco, eggplant and of course tomatoes are known for that and folks like me plant tomatoes very deep.

I’ll look it up.

Zill.
Doesn’t everyone twist off into universe, aren’t there multiple versions of ourselves twisting off into different multiverses. If I can’t see you, does that mean your twisting in universe or do you not exist at all….

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Correct but if we didn’t know what they looked like to begin with are we just in a computer program being told what things should look like and what things should taste like? Is that why everything taste like chicken?

TSD

TSD

How high are Y'all? 🤣 It depends how old the plant is, if it's still green and bendy and not hard and bark covered, it will probably sprout a few roots, of it's vigorous and feels the need lol... maybe making a little slice would encourage it... I dunno do your own experiment and report back lol. Is there a particular reason you're asking? They definitely make new roots as baby seedlings when they stretch too much and you need to bury them.

Madmax

Madmax

I know what you mean by putting them deep in a small pot.it doesnt take them long to get to the bottom..its cool..i do this every grow... but give them a week in that pot,up pot again and those roots will have more room ..i up pot 3 times.1 at day 6-7 ,2 at day 18 or so then the last just before flower or very beginning of flower and by the time they are in that pot new roots have formed...those little bumps you see at the base of the stem can turn into roots if you cover them up..

Z

Zill

Absolutely Mr. Max! If cannabis can shoot off adventitious roots I’d plant the seedling very deep. I plant my tomatoes up the first main branch.

Zill.

Top Bottom