420circuit

420circuit

This new law went into effect today.

New Colorado laws address homemade hash oil, cyberbullying
By Ivan Moreno Associated Press
Posted: 06/30/2015 01:51:03 PM MDT8 Comments | Updated: about 14 hours ago

Click photo to enlarge
20150630__CONewLawsColorado%7E1_VIEWER.jpg

FILE - In this May 1, 2014, file photo, a man who suffered severe burns to... (Brennan Linsley/AP)

DENVER (AP) — People who make marijuana hash oil with hazardous materials at home will face felony charges in Colorado, and online bullies will be subject to penalties for harassment under new state laws taking effect Wednesday.

Licensed manufacturers of pot concentrates won't be affected by the new law, but amateur cooks will be charged if they use materials like a flammable liquid chemical or compressed gas, both of which have been linked to explosions. More than 30 butane explosions were connected to hash production in 2014.

One of the sponsors of the law, Rep. Yeulin Willett, R-Delta, said that one benefit of the legislation is that it will allow law enforcement to make arrests before there's an explosion, rather prosecuting cases after the fact. "Many jurisdictions felt that their hands were tied, and they could only respond after an accident," he said.

It's unknown how many of the explosions from last year resulted in prosecution on charges such as arson or criminal mischief. Amateur manufacturers of marijuana concentrates will now also face a Class 2 drug felony.

With the cyberbullying law, offenders will be subject to a misdemeanor harassment charge punishable by as much as $750 in fines and up to six months in county jail. Lawmakers named the law after Kiana Arellano, a Douglas County high school cheerleader who tried to hang herself in 2013 after being bullied online. Oxygen deprivation from Arellano's suicide attempt resulted in a severe brain injury that has left her a paraplegic and unable to talk.

Sen. Linda Newell, D-Littleton, one of the backers of the legislation, called cyberbullying a cultural crisis. "We still have to work on the education and the awareness with parents and students," Newell said.

Since 2006, nearly three dozen states have enacted legislation to address cyberbullying in various ways, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

In all, 19 laws take effect Wednesday. Others include:

— Changing standards for identifying suspects in lineups, including telling witnesses that the perpetrator might not be among the suspects they are shown. Colorado is joining 12 other states that have revamped standards to try to reduce mistaken identifications.

— Requiring that defendants in cases of assault in the first, second, and third degree undergo testing for communicable diseases if their body fluids come into contact with the victim, peace officer or medical provider.

— Creating immunity from charges of possessing drug paraphernalia when someone volunteers to law enforcement during a body search that they have a hypodermic needle or syringe with traces of a controlled substance. The goal is to prevent accidental needle pricks of law enforcement officers or medical personnel.

Lawmakers this year passed 367 bills, three of which were vetoed. Some of the bills became law immediately after the governor signed them, while others take effect at different times of the year.

Apollo13

Apollo13

So should we start hoarding butane? Seems like that law that will probably be everywhere soon..

420circuit

420circuit

Here is an excerpt of the new law that just went into effect in Colorado:

18-18-406.6. Extraction of marijuana concentrate - definitions. (1) It shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed pursuant to article 43.3 or 43.4 of title 12, C.R.S., to knowingly manufacture marijuana concentrate using an inherently hazardous substance.

(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed pursuant to article 43.3 or 43.4 of title 12, C.R.S., who owns, manages, operates, or otherwise controls the use of any premises to knowingly allow marijuana concentrate to be manufactured on the premises using an inherently hazardous substance.

(3) A person who violates this section commits a level 2 drug felony.

(4) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires, "inherently hazardous substance" means any liquid chemical, compressed gas, or commercial product that has a flash point at or lower than thirty-eight degrees celsius or one hundred degrees fahrenheit, including butane, propane, and diethyl ether and excluding all forms of alcohol and ethanol.

420circuit

420circuit

This is why we need cannabis activists and lobbyists in Denver. There should be a certification process so that 'intelligent extraction businesses' can operate to produce safe extraction services using a closed loop system, or other safe method, operated in a safe place and in a safe manner to make safe concentrates. Simply passing this new law will result in wasted resources and not address the problem, a technical problem.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

This is why we need cannabis activists and lobbyists in Denver. There should be a certification process so that 'intelligent extraction businesses' can operate to produce safe extraction services using a closed loop system, or other safe method, operated in a safe place and in a safe manner to make safe concentrates. Simply passing this new law will result in wasted resources and not address the problem, a technical problem.
THINK OF THE KIDS!!

It's really neat that the legislation to treat marijuana like alcohol isn't mentioned much, but isn't blasting your own product is treated the same as cooking meth?

Apollo13

Apollo13

Seems gasoline would be a inherently hazardous substance as well..spray paint, thinner, flammable liquids or gas.. propane, natural gas..people die everyday. But I agree, we should remove all flammable things from humans.. lol

Apollo13

Apollo13

And I assume it opens the door to a new license that can be taught and certified in a day for x amount of money like our ccw??

K

kuz

Who was the breeder that blew himself out of the window of his apartment in Amsterdam? Was that Neville? I remember something about that happening a long time ago.

GreenintheThumb

GreenintheThumb

It's now against the law to process without a MIPs and it's against the law for a MIPs to process things that don't come from within the closed system of a licensed OPC facility. Sucks to be a patient with a caregiver who was making cheap extracts because that shit is now dead.

420circuit

420circuit

Not exactly, you can still make all the bubble hash you want. Might be a business in doing CO2 extractions for a fee, maybe a dispensary could offer the service? There are issues with how much weight you can drive around with, so taking a pound of trim to be processed could be a problem. You know the cops will be gearing up to make a show out of their arrests, so be careful out there, this is going to be a show.

GreenintheThumb

GreenintheThumb

You can't bring trim or flower that is produced on the grey market into any licensed facility. There won't be any legal extraction companies for the caregiver market.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
First this next they ban caregivers from selling to shops. Sucks

true grit

true grit

So the state just forced half the extract market underground and has a metric shit ton of cops looking for something to do. This should fill every vacant jail cell in the state. Pretty sure that is the plan.

I dont think this is the intention, I think more so the intention is to focus everybody into the tax scheme. Cant make your own hash legally? Well go to one of the many outlets that can.

K

kuz

They want to regulate it so they have to tax it. This is a good example of why they feel the need to regulate everything. People keep blowing up their apartments, you had to know they were going to do something. Put the oil under a light overnight to purge it, smoke the hell out of it, tear up their lungs. And who knows what ingesting benzene is going to do to them 20 years from now. I am not a chemist but I have been told benzene is some really nasty stuff.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I think I am in the minority, but I don't really see regulating this stuff as that terrible. I like the idea that you can get super clean/tested/lab produced products rather than a homemade product. I am sure there are many many people taking all the steps to produce it right at home, but well, you are then stuck just taking some dudes word for it that he didn't pump a can of ronsonol through a pvc tube. Also, knowing how explosive making the stuff can be, I wouldn't really want to have someone blasting in their apartment with some rather thin walls separating them from the family sleeping next door (lesson/point learned while reseaching blasting at home).

Latest posts

Top Bottom