Cal/Mag deficiency in living soil

• Thread starter shamyking82
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shamyking82

shamyking82

Hey guys growing in stepwells living soil and have run into a deficiency on my PBB. My guess is calcium/magnesium or possibly trace minerals. Watering with tap water set out for 24 hours and feeding bokashi teas and gaia greens all purpose. Wondering what you guys think/have any suggestions on organic fixes? Have been looking at rock dust blends, gypsum, and crab meal. Thanks!

Calmag deficiency in living soil
Calmag deficiency in living soil 2
Calmag deficiency in living soil 3
Calmag deficiency in living soil 4
Calmag deficiency in living soil 5
Farmer88

Farmer88

Dried eggshells pulverized into a powder is good fast acting dry amendment calcium for soil. Eggshell powder is also availble on the market. I have used feed grade oyster shell as well when low on perlite for drainage and extra calcium. Sea shell is not as fast acting as eggshell though both will uptake faster in a powder form. You can also get a bag of calcium carbonate at pretty much any feed store.

Calphos fertilizer made from shells and vinegar can be used as a water soluble fertilizer after 20 days of fermentation, but that wont help you right now.

Add small amounts of epsom salts to the water to adjust magnesium.

shamyking82

shamyking82

Dried eggshells pulverized into a powder is good fast acting dry amendment calcium for soil. Eggshell powder is also availble on the market. I have used feed grade oyster shell as well when low on perlite for drainage and extra calcium. Sea shell is not as fast acting as eggshell though both will uptake faster in a powder form. You can also get a bag of calcium carbonate at pretty much any feed store.

Calphos fertilizer made from shells and vinegar can be used as a water soluble fertilizer after 20 days of fermentation, but that wont help you right now.

Add small amounts of epsom salts to the water to adjust magnesium.
Thanks!!

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Living Soil is a growing method centered on the microbial life inside the soil. So mostly you don't feed the plant, the plant feeds the soil.

Your plant forms a relationship with the soil, it's root system puts out sugars and the living stuff in the soil takes those and makes stuff the plant needs. All the microbial life is interdependent on multiple levels. It took millions of years, but the system works.

In order to cultivate commercially and at scale and reduce variables in the system, lots of growers chose to take the feeding choices away from the plant. Growers that choose a hydroponic or coco-perlite medium remove the natural sources of nutrients and replace them with nutrients they give in portions the grower chooses at times the grower wants. It is efficient.

I think many seem to mix the two systems. The symbiosis (balance of the exchange) in soil can be interrupted by adding liquid nutrients that are chelated using organic acids or salt-based nutrients. By using such products, the microbial population will decrease, resulting in a less healthy soil. microbes create nutrients that the plant needs and exchanges them with the plant. This precise interaction between two different biological organisms (plants and microlife) can be mutually beneficial for both parties and it can last indefinitely as it does in nature. Unless you mess it up adding things that you would add in a totally different growing method.

Sort of like thinking fire, an oven and a microwave can be used the same or interchangeably. Each can be used to get results, but how is much different.

Anyway, I say all that to say this... I doubt your issue is a lack of cal or mag. If it's living soil, and you haven't messed up it's ecosystem with teas and sugars already, then the plant is taking what it needs, the soil is taking what it needs and your job is environment; water, light and climate. I'd look to one of those things. Over water would be a guess, but just based on the frequency at which that is the problem... Like a LOT!

Latest posts

Top Bottom