Cal-mag Per Gallon/brand

• Thread starter slimjimham
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Papa Indica

Papa Indica

The water in your garden comes from outside. Just sayin'.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

@slimjimham you'd know if it was over-aeration because you would have white buildup at the water line of your rezzies- that's the calcium falling out from too much O2. I stopped using air stones and put small pumps at the bottom of my rezzies to keep water moving and always coming up to the surface (plenty of O2 exchange that way)

That looks like calcium deficiency but could be due to imbalance in your base - too much PK can antagonize calcium uptake. If the nute company is worth a damn you shouldn't have to ever add cal-mag, if a nutrient doesn't work and you can't make it work without amendments, it's TRASH.

H

hawkman

@slimjimham you'd know if it was over-aeration because you would have white buildup at the water line of your rezzies- that's the calcium falling out from too much O2. I stopped using air stones and put small pumps at the bottom of my rezzies to keep water moving and always coming up to the surface (plenty of O2 exchange that way)

That looks like calcium deficiency but could be due to imbalance in your base - too much PK can antagonize calcium uptake. If the nute company is worth a damn you shouldn't have to ever add cal-mag, if a nutrient doesn't work and you can't make it work without amendments, it's TRASH.
cal-mag "abuse" is a common issue - it's helpful in the vegative stage and 1st week of per-flower only - and then should be used sparingly

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

My base nutes' add another 25 ppm of calcium @ my dilution rates, when I run the calculator for the PBP soil formula @ my rate it comes out to around 12 ppm.

slimjimham

slimjimham

Im still trying to figure this out, just added a chiller to one system...

Ive been staying 800 and under and still had the issue (someone insisted ppm was too low starving plants... They stopped eating high ppm)

Now im staying 600 and under adding like 1-1.5 ml per gallon

Im going to switch to magical over calimagic that ive been using though not convinced it makes that much of a difference... But think I see more people using magical now for whatever reason

Hope the chiller solves this... New theory is after wk 4/5 root health is worse than what I see making it so they cant take up the nutrients they need??? Grasping at straws... Temps are usually like 72-76 more often at 72

Uc roots
Calmag
A/b (happened on cs and canna)

I dont get what the issue could be...
Root health
Calmag imbalance (not enough too much?)
Ppms too high or too low

Last batch was
100ml uc roots
39ml calmag
225ml a/225ml b

Ppm around 500 all said and done

What else could be the issue?!

K

kennyflowers

Slim what kind of lights are you running and how close are they

K

kennyflowers

Reason why I asked was because I had the same issues as you and I think I narrowed it down to excessive light being too close not due to heat but not giving the plants a rest. They do not get constant sunlight all day in nature and if your lights are too close constantly that's where it will start and progress outwards. do you notice healthier growth outside the concentrated light pattern? I have noticed it on a few runs that I let them over veg and even know they're three feet away they're still too close to my DE lights.
And I still think u are pushing your ppms. I stay between 150-250 early veg. 300-400 most of the run and 450ish at peak and that's pushing them. Let me know about lights and how tall your plants get?

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

You could try switching off the regular grow light an hour early and giving only deep red IR light like the kind for night vision. It is supposed to induce plant sleep.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

Wow, my plants never get anything as low as 450. I'm feeding babies heavier than that and they love it.

slimjimham

slimjimham

Lights are 1000w, often closer than they should be because uc grows quick.

I just bought a gallon of techniflora magical, fifure it cant hurt to try something else.

Think chillers will help leaf temp at the tops, just bought another chiller today... We'll see if that helps or not

Plants are usually 6' or close to when fully grown

K

kennyflowers

I have ran higher ppms. and had great results but there are a lot of contributing factors like for instance how much air are you running ,also the higher the PPM the lower the plants have to be. The closer the plant to the light the lower the PPM should be just because of the fact of salt build-up and it makes the plant more susceptible to burn. I can pretty much say with certainty that it is light stress cause I have experience this myself many times I have been running a UC for many Years and love it but at the same time it can be delicate Beast if one problem occurs repeatedly in your environment. Think about it you don't get any issues until the plants get taller correct? I personally feel like 6 inches is definitely way too close plants do not need that much light to produce.
Papa, I know u are a knowledgeable guy I don't mean this to sound disrespectful but you can't say that you run your PPM for seedlings like that without giving specs as in what kind of light/distance, what kind of system ? Are they directly in the water constantly with lots of air? is it in the UC itself? People who are having issues like this tend to be a cumulative over time from pushing them too hard then once they get oversized they can't handle the light and all the nutrients at the same time. Leaves tend to dry up and spot and Crisp over time and slowly die later in flower stages.

K

kennyflowers

Chiller will definitely help root zone no doubt about it! but as far as Leaf temp that is direct light constantly did you mean 6 inches" away? Or 6 feet' away slim? If your plants are 6 inches away from your lights I am willing to say that is where your source of problems are coming from. That is just my experience. I have experienced this again recently and turned my lights down and problems stopped right away. Try lifting your light higher or turning them down and see if that works. You might have to wait till next run try and veg less so they finish shorter.

K

kennyflowers

Nevermind on the last question just reread your answer I get that your plants are 6 feet tall but how far away is your tallest flower site to the bulb?

slimjimham

slimjimham

@JohnnyRey what's the total ppm of your feed in flower and what calmag brand are you using?

Thanks!

And plants are like 6'' at the closest which is crazy close. But usually like 12'' away or further. Still see the prob on side branches 36'' away too

Just installed the second chiller today. It's big enough to cool the water to 66* so looks like I'm buying two more...then I'll just need 2 chillers for veg.... Total 6 systems (2 veg)

I might just link up the two systems in veg to one so I only need one chiller for veg

slimjimham

slimjimham

Also I'm thinking a chiller would make plants more tolerable yo best since they are drinking 66* water.... Does that make sense and has anyone noticed that....

Like the leaf temp on a chilled system should be cooler because it's drinking cold water...

slimjimham

slimjimham

*more tolerable to heat

Anyways I just bought two more chillers today so all flower plants will be on chillers... Yeaaaah buddy

Latest posts

Top Bottom