Cal Mag Questions

• Thread starter kbellfoy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks for that. I'm also gonna add some powdered egg shell for cal too during veg and I have crab meal added for flower. I know cal is layed down during veg so I'm wondering with the massive cal- I had at 4 week flower if I added enough cal during veg?
Be careful of the form of Ca you're using. IIRC, egg shell's form is CaCO3, which is the same form as is found in oyster and crab shell. That form has the carbonate molecule (the CO3 bit), and that can cause problems because it causes high alkalinity (resistance to pH shift) as well as shifting pH upwards and keeping it pegged there. If you see pH-related issues, then you'll need to make adjustments for that.

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

Be careful of the form of Ca you're using. IIRC, egg shell's form is CaCO3, which is the same form as is found in oyster and crab shell. That form has the carbonate molecule (the CO3 bit), and that can cause problems because it causes high alkalinity (resistance to pH shift) as well as shifting pH upwards and keeping it pegged there. If you see pH-related issues, then you'll need to make adjustments for that.

Oh right. I'm not gonna use it then. Thank u so much Seamaiden for this info. Luckily I haven't mixed it in my soil yet.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
These products can be used, but take care both to not use too much and be watchful for the twisting and odd growth as well as apparent deficiencies that can occur when pH goes out of acceptable ranges. :)

MGRox

MGRox

What all products are you using for your nutrient? Are you using all canna? The local hydro store recently picked up the canna line, so I can go there to get the needed info to develop a profile. I'm pretty darn sure that one of their base nutes will have Calcium Nitrate in it. You may be able to change around what you currently have (mabye use a bit of mono) and increase your Ca too; though I'd want to sniff around with profiles first.

I think I'm stressing so much over this as my last grow had a very bad Cal- in week 4 of flower.
Chances are that the deficiency began in week 2-3 but became visible around week 4. Have you ever seen that .PDF that's floating around called the phosphorus myth? One of the nute companies had done tissue samples with various strains, each week through flower. The .pdf is usually brought up in relation to plants not increasing P by all that much in flower. However, there is a lot of other good info that you can get from that paper.
For instance with Ca (since it was also tested). You can see that, pretty much, with all strains they tested; Ca approximately doubled (in tissues) from veg, compared to 2 weeks in flower. As well, this higher level carried through week 3. After week 4 and onward, all strains lowered the Ca in tissue until (at the end of flower) the Ca in tissues was about the same as in veg.
This same effect is also apparent for Mg as well, I suppose. From the testing I've been able to do in my environment; it would appear that my results also correspond to the .pdf.

Having said that; to me personally. The most important time for Ca is from week 1 - 4 of flower. Before and after these points; I don't worry as much with Ca. For instance, I "stretch" with around 100+ ppm of Ca , whereas in weeks 6-9 I only run 50-60 ppm. Suppose similarly and as an aside I cut out any Si after week 3-4 for similar reasons.

You can adjust your profile to help prevent future Ca- issues and I would always encourage that. Though, since you did see Ca- and are worried for the moment; it may be a good idea to foliar apply Ca during the stretch. At the very least and with no other changes, that alone should help the problem.

I'm somewhat hesitant to point this out but; One other thing to consider too is a small bit of NH4 during stretch. (not sure if canna has much NH4) There is an interaction in soil between Ca and NH4 in that; for every ppm of NH4 goes in solution, 1 ppm of Ca will be precipitated out. Sounds bad right? Well, let's look at the flip side. For every ppm of NH4 that is removed from a solution; 1 ppm of Ca will be added to the solution / availability. I.e. removal of NH4 from solution via absorption can actually increase "instantaneous" availability of Ca.

MSH

MSH

Can I use all kinds of Epsom salts as Mag? There are only two grow shops where I live en neither sells cal and mag, just basic AB nutes plus some boosters - what could I use as Calcium?

edit*

http://www.turbokalk.com/tk_facts.php

Could I use this? - bone meal, fish meal etc those things aren't available here.

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

What all products are you using for your nutrient? Are you using all canna? The local hydro store recently picked up the canna line, so I can go there to get the needed info to develop a profile. I'm pretty darn sure that one of their base nutes will have Calcium Nitrate in it. You may be able to change around what you currently have (mabye use a bit of mono) and increase your Ca too; though I'd want to sniff around with profiles first.

Chances are that the deficiency began in week 2-3 but became visible around week 4. Have you ever seen that .PDF that's floating around called the phosphorus myth? One of the nute companies had done tissue samples with various strains, each week through flower. The .pdf is usually brought up in relation to plants not increasing P by all that much in flower. However, there is a lot of other good info that you can get from that paper.
For instance with Ca (since it was also tested). You can see that, pretty much, with all strains they tested; Ca approximately doubled (in tissues) from veg, compared to 2 weeks in flower. As well, this higher level carried through week 3. After week 4 and onward, all strains lowered the Ca in tissue until (at the end of flower) the Ca in tissues was about the same as in veg.
This same effect is also apparent for Mg as well, I suppose. From the testing I've been able to do in my environment; it would appear that my results also correspond to the .pdf.

Having said that; to me personally. The most important time for Ca is from week 1 - 4 of flower. Before and after these points; I don't worry as much with Ca. For instance, I "stretch" with around 100+ ppm of Ca , whereas in weeks 6-9 I only run 50-60 ppm. Suppose similarly and as an aside I cut out any Si after week 3-4 for similar reasons.

You can adjust your profile to help prevent future Ca- issues and I would always encourage that. Though, since you did see Ca- and are worried for the moment; it may be a good idea to foliar apply Ca during the stretch. At the very least and with no other changes, that alone should help the problem.

I'm somewhat hesitant to point this out but; One other thing to consider too is a small bit of NH4 during stretch. (not sure if canna has much NH4) There is an interaction in soil between Ca and NH4 in that; for every ppm of NH4 goes in solution, 1 ppm of Ca will be precipitated out. Sounds bad right? Well, let's look at the flip side. For every ppm of NH4 that is removed from a solution; 1 ppm of Ca will be added to the solution / availability. I.e. removal of NH4 from solution via absorption can actually increase "instantaneous" availability of Ca.

Where can I search for that article? I would love to read it. I don't use any nutes for my grows except some overload at week 6 and 7 flower. I'm in soil. Every time I tried to feed my plants anything except a bit of molasses every 2 weeks they locked up or didn't like it. I got a great harvest so no complaints at all. I know one of my biggest mistakes was not giving N during stretch so my plants did yellow quite early. Again this was because every time I added any nutes it locked up. I had 5 plants and cropped just over 20 oz with only 3 feeds ever given to these plants through out the grow. I have plenty of crab meal for Cal and Mg this time but in case it doesn't do the job I wanna be sure that I get it right this time. Thank u so much for all the info and taking the time to provide good advice for me. Much appreciated

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Can I use all kinds of Epsom salts as Mag? There are only two grow shops where I live en neither sells cal and mag, just basic AB nutes plus some boosters - what could I use as Calcium?

edit*

http://www.turbokalk.com/tk_facts.php

Could I use this? - bone meal, fish meal etc those things aren't available here.
I would use plain Epsom salt, nothing made specially for the bath. Read the nutrient labels and check out what they provide and at what percentages, some nutrient lines handle Ca in the main nutrient solution/mix. You should be able to use the Turbo Kalk but do watch for pH-related problems because it's got dolomite lime in it.

MGRox

MGRox

Where can I search for that article?
been quite a while since I've looked it up. Here it is: http://www.growersunderground.com/PhosphorusMyth.pdf

In soil eh? Yea I was wondering that. Are you / have you by chance ever added Calcium Montmorillonite? I believe this would be closest to the Azomite that is used quite often; but the Ca Mont. is appx 50% calcium and will not affect pH. This may help since your in soil.

MSH

MSH

I would use plain Epsom salt, nothing made specially for the bath. Read the nutrient labels and check out what they provide and at what percentages, some nutrient lines handle Ca in the main nutrient solution/mix. You should be able to use the Turbo Kalk but do watch for pH-related problems because it's got dolomite lime in it.

I can get a 8 oz bottle of Magnesium Citrate from NOW for around 15 bucks - I've got 15 plants in coco, how long will that bottle last me?

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

been quite a while since I've looked it up. Here it is: http://www.growersunderground.com/PhosphorusMyth.pdf

In soil eh? Yea I was wondering that. Are you / have you by chance ever added Calcium Montmorillonite? I believe this would be closest to the Azomite that is used quite often; but the Ca Mont. is appx 50% calcium and will not affect pH. This may help since your in soil.

No I haven't used that. Never heard of it till now. Thanks for that info. I will have a google

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can get a 8 oz bottle of Magnesium Citrate from NOW for around 15 bucks - I've got 15 plants in coco, how long will that bottle last me?
I really don't know, I don't know how available that form is to plants, nor do I know how much Mg it will provide. I believe that Epsom salt is about 9%, give or take, Mg.

MSH

MSH

I really don't know, I don't know how available that form is to plants, nor do I know how much Mg it will provide. I believe that Epsom salt is about 9%, give or take, Mg.

It says on the bottle that it contains 315 MG per 1.9 GR which is around 16% Mg - I don't know how available that form is to plants but I want to test it out on one of them and see if she likes it :) via foliar how much should I delude in 500 ml of water?

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

any reason you don't want to use magnesium sulfate or magnesium nitrate? That's what pretty much everyone else does...

MSH

MSH

I was having difficulties finding it here in Iceland but I did just now and I'll go pick up Sulfate this weekend :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It says on the bottle that it contains 315 MG per 1.9 GR which is around 16% Mg - I don't know how available that form is to plants but I want to test it out on one of them and see if she likes it :) via foliar how much should I delude in 500 ml of water?
That's quite a bit of Mg! If you can weigh it out, I'd start with .5g/.5 liters of water. Don't forget to use a sticker-spreader (a drop or two of liquid soap will do you well here, just don't use antimicrobial).

Reactions: MSH
A

argo

Iv recently been reading Seamaidens thread about no such thing as Cal mag Def. Iv took it all on board and I would like to supplement separately. I had a massive cal- at week 4 flower last run. I do not want that again. Thing is I'm number blind (which doesn't mean stoopid lol) Even basic maths for me is hard. I also cannot find any set equations to follow. If I remember correctly the ratio is 4:1 or even 6:1 cal mag. My cal supplement is 15% in strength and I have Epsom salts. . I have 2 questions

1 should I use the Epsom or buy a bottle of mag supplement from the same range as my cal supplement? (Canna mono)

2 At what amounts would I use them to get the correct ratio in either scenario (Epsom and cal supp/ mag supplement and cal supp) ?
Thank u in advance for any advice.
Firstly you have to understand why you have the problem in the first place .The core issue why the so called cal mag deficiency is that you been taught like the majority to cut back on nitrogen (calcium nitrate) when you go into flowering another words the majority cause their own problems you have to understand that this is a money makeing industry if you are taught improperly you become a great consumer which is what is done when someone shows you improperly it causes a problem then you run off to the store to buy another bottle

Fatboy

Fatboy

Firstly you have to understand why you have the problem in the first place .The core issue why the so called cal mag deficiency is that you been taught like the majority to cut back on nitrogen (calcium nitrate) when you go into flowering another words the majority cause their own problems you have to understand that this is a money makeing industry if you are taught improperly you become a great consumer which is what is done when someone shows you improperly it causes a problem then you run off to the store to buy another bottle
I couldn't agree more!

Top Bottom