Calcium deficiency or rust fungi?

• Thread starter Eugenios
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Eugenios

Eugenios

Sorry to bother you but I'm in a confusing situation. My Gorilla Glue auto from Barney's Farm started showing some rusty spots in the first serrated leaves around day 11. The rust was only on the tips. Unfortunately, it continued but doesn't look that bad. However, now it's not on the tips but there are little circular spots all over the second row of leaves. It's confusing because it's not in the newer growth, which means that it's not Calcium deficiency since cal.def is IMMOBILE. However, when I rub the rust spots, nothing "rubs off" on my finger so maybe it's not fungi as well. Thinking it was a calcium def. I started foliar feeds with 1/2strength calmag. I posted pics below. My GG is currently 19 days old. Any ideas? Sorry for not the best english.

Soil: BioBizz LightMix
Light: 240w Meijiu at 24inches(24/0)
Nutes:
- 1/4strength FirstFeed from Plant!T during first week(pH 6.2)
-1/2 strength First Feed during 2nd week(6.2)
- 1/2 strength silicon max, 1/2 strength biobizz biogrow, 1/2 strength calmag, 1/2 strength epsom salts 3rd week and after.

I raised my pH to 6.5 because all of you recommend that in soil.

Thank you for your time and God Bless.

Calcium deficiency or rust fungi
Calcium deficiency or rust fungi 2
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I respectfully disagree with your assessment; I do believe it is calcium deficiency

Biobizz is peat based based if I recall, therefore I would keep my pH at about 6.2 - 6.4

Also stop feeding the Epsom salt as I believe the deficiency is being caused by your nutrients

Last edited:
Eugenios

Eugenios

I respectfully disagree with your assessment; I do believe it is calcium deficiency

Also biobizz is peat based based if I recall, therefore I would keep my pH at about 6.2 - 6.4

Also stop with the Epsom salt
Thanks for the reply my friend. I hope it's Cal def to be honest with you. Way easier to deal with. I will check the soil ingredients as well. The reasons I upped the pH is because Cal and Mag love a higher pH. Also, why don't you like epsom salts? I'm still a noob and I had mag def in the past as well and that's why I'm using it. Cheers.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks for the reply my friend. I hope it's Cal def to be honest with you. Way easier to deal with. I will check the soil ingredients as well. The reasons I upped the pH is because Cal and Mag love a higher pH. Also, why don't you like epsom salts? I'm still a noob and I had mag def in the past as well and that's why I'm using it. Cheers.
I use epsom salt all the time but you don't need it now. and I suspect the Epsom salt it's causing an imbalance and locking out the calcium

Eugenios

Eugenios

I use epsom salt all the time but you don't need it now. and I suspect the Epsom salt it's causing an imbalance and locking out the calcium
First, you were right about Light Mix. "Light-Mix main ingredients consist of Peat moss, Sphagnum peat and Perlite". Shit I'm stuck with bold letters now lol. Anyway, I'm using a greek product called green leaf which is magnesium sulfate and says it is 16%MgO and 32.5%So3. I will stop using it and will use it in flower for the sulfur.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

First, you were right about Light Mix. "Light-Mix main ingredients consist of Peat moss, Sphagnum peat and Perlite". Shit I'm stuck with bold letters now lol. Anyway, I'm using a greek product called green leaf which is magnesium sulfate and says it is 16%MgO and 32.5%So3. I will stop using it and will use it in flower for the sulfur.
why not post up pictures of the info from the bottle labels and or whatever you're using before you make too many changes

also have you done a slurry test? if not recommend doing one, if you need info here's a link

Last edited:
Eugenios

Eugenios

why not post up pictures of the info from the bottle labels and or whatever you're using before you make too many changes

also have you done a slurry test? if not recommend doing one, if you need info here's a link

The green leaf I told you about has greek letters so there's point. It says it's magnesium sulfate and contains 16%mgo and 32.5% so3. Also, cant do a slurry test because there is very little runoff water. I'm growing autos and I planted them into their final 20liter pot and I only water with 750mL solution. Very little if any runoff.

20201129 201539
20201129 201603
20201129 201608
20201129 201621
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Here's some info that might be interesting..

I'll check out what you've posted, it might not be till the morning but I'll get back to you on this

in the meantime strongly recommend a slurry test, it's quick and easy and it will give you a very good reading of what's going on in your roots

Edit:

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So I do think you have an imbalance going on which I think will correct itself when you stop the additional Epsom salts; Depending on your run off and/or your slurry test results you might also consider a flush of your medium to reset it

I would also check with the light manufacturer to make sure the light wasn't too close and I would recommend you feed by PPM or EC, not by quarter strength, half strength Etc. If the problem continues tag me back in and I'll help if I can, good luck!

Eugenios

Eugenios

So I do think you have an imbalance going on which I think will correct itself when you stop the additional Epsom salts; Depending on your run off and/or your slurry test results you might also consider a flush of your medium to reset it

I would also check with the light manufacturer to make sure the light wasn't too close and I would recommend you feed by PPM or EC, not by quarter strength, half strength Etc. If the problem continues tag me back in and I'll help if I can, good luck!
Ok, thanks my friend. I will follow your advice. I will keep updating every 10 days if I remember. God Bless, happy growing!

Top Bottom