Calling all Outdoor growers! How early is too early???

• Thread starter Caninobis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Caninobis

Caninobis

Whats up ya'll,

I'm getting geared up for the OD season in California and i really want to try my hand at growing a monster. I've been doing my research, developing my skills growing indoors, i got my seeds with monster capabilities in the genetics, and i've got some plants started to give them a good head start when i put them in the ground.

What i want to know is how early can i put my plants in the ground without them starting to flower and then reverting back to veg?

I checked the weather and it looks like we will officially break 12 hours of sunlight this month and by March 30th we'll be getting 12.5 hours of sunlight then by April 30th we'll be at 13.

If i put my plants out on the 30th is that extra half hour of light enough to keep the my plants from flowering since 12 hours or less of continuous light is what triggers flowering?

the rrock

the rrock

I usually put clones outside last week of May, seeds go in earlier, it’s a very good question that comes up every year, patience people revegging is no fun.i am near big basin

mancorn

mancorn

If you're growing from seeds it does not matter. It will not go into flower and you can start tomorrow.

Now personally, even though it's been dry and sunny every day in Feb., don't like to get out this early as I don't like the monsters (as you'll spent all summer on a ladder tending buds). But that's a different topic, so pop those beans!

below frigid

below frigid

I grow big plants. I don't mess with clones anymore. I decided to go all feminized seeds this year. Getting lazy in my old age. Since I am only doing my legal 6 plants this year I bumped my pots up from 200 gallon to 300 gallon. Oh now would be good if your in a low or no frost area. I can get frost here into April so I bring them in on the nights I know that are going to be cold. Put them in the big pots middle of April.

Madbud

Madbud

Whats up ya'll,

I'm getting geared up for the OD season in California and i really want to try my hand at growing a monster. I've been doing my research, developing my skills growing indoors, i got my seeds with monster capabilities in the genetics, and i've got some plants started to give them a good head start when i put them in the ground.

What i want to know is how early can i put my plants in the ground without them starting to flower and then reverting back to veg?

I checked the weather and it looks like we will officially break 12 hours of sunlight this month and by March 30th we'll be getting 12.5 hours of sunlight then by April 30th we'll be at 13.

If i put my plants out on the 30th is that extra half hour of light enough to keep the my plants from flowering since 12 hours or less of continuous light is what triggers flowering?
If the plants are under 18-6 light, they will reveg anytime before late May. Anything over 14-10 will flip in 12-12 so April 30 is pushing it. Jmo

Caninobis

Caninobis

Seeds can go out now. By the time she is big enough the light schedule will be ample if clones wait till June 1st. Or last week of May

They were started from seed but they're roughly 5 weeks old now. I didn't start these ones with the intention of putting them outside but i got a 100% germ rate on my beans and ended up with too many for my indoor grow so i figured i'd use the extras for my OD grow. You think i can still put them outside or would i have to start fresh seeds/keep theses ones inside until May as these plants have almost reached maturity.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
They were started from seed but they're roughly 5 weeks old now. I didn't start these ones with the intention of putting them outside but i got a 100% germ rate on my beans and ended up with too many for my indoor grow so i figured i'd use the extras for my OD grow. You think i can still put them outside or would i have to start fresh seeds/keep theses ones inside until May as these plants have almost reached maturity.
Here are mine started 2 weeks ago outside now.
In monterey cali, I do have an area out back with a light on timer for those fogged out days and they wheel in and out of a covered porch

194EBFCB DE50 42A6 A4E7 F888F6DD98C3
C7E4C4B1 2C99 4AEE A215 4AE800676F88
BA7314A0 AD9F 4471 8B81 81B289203A64
EEBE7432 00EE 4B89 A35B 3FD4736C0EB1
basscaptain

basscaptain

put then outside and put a light on them for a few weeks and >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

mancorn

mancorn

It doesn't mater if you started from seed or a clone, if you have been growing them indoors with 18/6 light, then no, you cannot move them outside. Well you can move them, but almost assuredly they will flip to flower, then maybe flip back to veg in another month. Chances are instead of growing a monster you will grow a little gnarled, mildewed, POS.

But if you start growing outside (which means you're getting about 11-12 hours of sunlight right now) then you'll have no problems in terms of flowering. You could give the plant 5 hours of light and it will grow (just not very fast). It's going from 18+ hours of light, down to 12 hours that is going to cause the flowering, not whether you start from seed or clone. You can move a clone from indoors to outside tomorrow, IF you've been giving your clones the same amount/time of light as there is daylight. (Of course this is super tricky since the mother was probably at 18 hours and so you clones will flip while rooting, but hopefully you get the drift.) If you really wanted to get an early start indoors, you'll have to be matching the outdoor light schedule. So if you start a seed February 1st indoors, you can give it 10 hours of light and then move it outdoors March 1st and it will be fine. (If you BUY a clone assume it has been getting 18-24.hours of light. Commercial growers make money selling more clones, not providing clones consumers can take home and grow in their gardens.)

So keep your current plants indoors and start new beans outside (when ever you want). Or if you HAVE to move some plants outside due to space, then you'll have to supply outdoor lighting to "trick" them into thinking it's a longer daytime. This can just be some crap pouch light. Of course this actually won't be supplying light to actual grow the plant, it will just keep it from flowering (hopefully 😀).

Last edited:
916Fisherman

916Fisherman

I’m in NorCal and plan on putting a couple outside in the next week or two since not much rain or cold in the forecast. I have a porch light that I use to keep them from flowering though lol

Caninobis

Caninobis

It doesn't mater if you started from seed or a clone, if you have been growing them indoors with 18/6 light, then no, you cannot move them outside. Well you can move them, but almost assuredly they will flip to flower, then maybe flip back to veg in another month. Chances are instead of growing a monster you will grow a little gnarled, mildewed, POS.

But if you start growing outside (which means you're getting about 11-12 hours of sunlight right now) then you'll have no problems in terms of flowering. You could give the plant 5 hours of light and it will grow (just not very fast). It's going from 18+ hours of light, down to 12 hours that is going to cause the flowering, not whether you start from seed or clone. You can move a clone from indoors to outside tomorrow, IF you've been giving your clones the same amount/time of light as there is daylight. (Of course this is super tricky since the mother was probably at 18 hours and so you clones will flip while rooting, but hopefully you get the drift.) If you really wanted to get an early start indoors, you'll have to be matching the outdoor light schedule. So if you start a seed February 1st indoors, you can give it 10 hours of light and then move it outdoors March 1st and it will be fine. (If you BUY a clone assume it has been getting 18-24.hours of light. Commercial growers make money selling more clones, not providing clones consumers can take home and grow in their gardens.)

So keep your current plants indoors and start new beans outside (when ever you want). Or if you HAVE to move some plants outside due to space, then you'll have to supply outdoor lighting to "trick" them into thinking it's a longer daytime. This can just be some crap pouch light. Of course this actually won't be supplying light to actual grow the plant, it will just keep it from flowering (hopefully 😀).

Exactly the information i was looking for thanks man.
So all it takes is just any kind of supplemental light shining on the plant when the sun goes down? My grow shed is pretty close to where i'm going to put the plant. You think i could just put a light on the outside of the shed shining down on the plant? Maybe 5 feet away? Or should i just run an extension chord and hang the light directly over the plant?

Caninobis

Caninobis

I’m in NorCal and plan on putting a couple outside in the next week or two since not much rain or cold in the forecast. I have a porch light that I use to keep them from flowering though lol
I'm in So Cal and its starting to warm up pretty quickly. Thats what got me thinking that i might be able to get a jump on the season. Its stupid but I honestly just want to grow a monster for the notch on my belt, lol. Don't really need 5 pounds of flower as its just a personal garden but it would be a damn good smokin' story to pass the doob around and tell my buddies about the 10 foot beast i grew in my backyard one season! 😂

"You should of seen it guys, you could have stacked 4 of us together and still couldn't reach the top! The damn thing yielded so heavy its been 4 seasons and the weed we're smoking in this joint right now is from that plant! Let me tell you what, the BFG himself couldn't have got his arms around that damn thing. Jack would have thought it to be reminiscent of his bean stock..." 😂😂😂 My version of a canna-tall tale LMAO

mancorn

mancorn

Exactly the information i was looking for thanks man.
So all it takes is just any kind of supplemental light shining on the plant when the sun goes down? My grow shed is pretty close to where i'm going to put the plant. You think i could just put a light on the outside of the shed shining down on the plant? Maybe 5 feet away? Or should i just run an extension chord and hang the light directly over the plant?
Any light strike should do the trick (and why indoor growers are so anal about light strike during lights out). I'l let some of the other growers who have more experience doing this chime in as I've seen previous post about their techniques.

mancorn

mancorn

I'm in So Cal and its starting to warm up pretty quickly. Thats what got me thinking that i might be able to get a jump on the season. Its stupid but I honestly just want to grow a monster for the notch on my belt, lol. Don't really need 5 pounds of flower as its just a personal garden but it would be a damn good smokin' story to pass the doob around and tell my buddies about the 10 foot beast i grew in my backyard one season! 😂

"You should of seen it guys, you could have stacked 4 of us together and still couldn't reach the top! The damn thing yielded so heavy its been 4 seasons and the weed we're smoking in this joint right now is from that plant! Let me tell you what, the BFG himself couldn't have got his arms around that damn thing. Jack would have thought it to be reminiscent of his bean stock..." 😂😂😂 My version of a canna-tall tale LMAO
I've never grown a true monster, but gotten some decent size. I find then too hard to manage as bud worms are such a problem for me. And any early rains reek havoc, since you can't cover. But you're right about having a good story. (Probably about how the neighbor saw your plant peeking over your roof. 😳)

Madbud

Madbud

If you do put them outside, harden the plants with a couple days in the shade before any direct sunlight.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

I have to be discreet so nothing big for me outside. I’m going to try a run of auto flowers outside and see if I can get 2 different crops by starting early lol

Caninobis

Caninobis

I've never grown a true monster, but gotten some decent size. I find then too hard to manage as bud worms are such a problem for me. And any early rains reek havoc, since you can't cover. But you're right about having a good story. (Probably about how the neighbor saw your plant peeking over your roof. 😳)
View attachment 947072
I'd say that thing is pretty monstrous! But i get what you mean by a "true monster"

Caninobis

Caninobis

I have to be discreet so nothing big for me outside. I’m going to try a run of auto flowers outside and see if I can get 2 different crops by starting early lol
Yeah, i've got neighbors on both sides of me but i'm on an acre and no one ever goes to the very back of their properties so i'm praying that if i grow it back there and have it lined up with the structure in my yard so that you'd have to look really hard over the fence to see it then it shouldn't draw too much attention but as long as i don't go over 6 plants all they can do is complain anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom