Calling all Outdoor growers! How early is too early???

• Thread starter Caninobis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Yeah, i've got neighbors on both sides of me but i'm on an acre and no one ever goes to the very back of their properties so i'm praying that if i grow it back there and have it lined up with the structure in my yard so that you'd have to look really hard over the fence to see it then it shouldn't draw too much attention but as long as i don't go over 6 plants all they can do is complain anyway.
Your city/county allows outdoor?

mancorn

mancorn

[
I'd say that thing is pretty monstrous! But i get what you mean by a "true monster"
Yeah I'm not worthy. (But I did watch a video of this grow and they got hammered in the rain. Ton of branches breaking off.)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah, gaslighting can keep them from flowering and revegging until the photoperiod is long enough.

I cant plant outside until late may in Canada due to frost so If possible in years past I've started my plants indoors and grown them for a couple months under lights before they go outside. One year I planted 4' tall plants in may that grew to be enormous, and subsequently lost it all to budrot by mid september. Stupid PNW weather.. I dont grow much besides male pollen and breeders outdoors now for that reason.

Madbud

Madbud

The other option, besides breaking up the 12 hours of darkness with a light to keep them in veg, is covering them at night until 8 or 9 each morning to keep them in flower. I had a couple in 5 gallon buckets flip early last year, just put them in the shed each night for a couple weeks til mid june, then chopped them in late august.

Caninobis

Caninobis

Your city/county allows outdoor?
If i understood it correctly as long as its behind a fence with a locked gate im good to go. I live in an unincorporated area so i guess its a little bit different. I'm not really sure but my neighbor is a fire fighter and he was the one who explained it to me so i trusted him. I sure hope its ok. I only plan on growing one plant and the area i live in is pretty rural so most of my neighbors mind their own business anyway.

Caninobis

Caninobis

Yeah, gaslighting can keep them from flowering and revegging until the photoperiod is long enough.

I cant plant outside until late may in Canada due to frost so If possible in years past I've started my plants indoors and grown them for a couple months under lights before they go outside. One year I planted 4' tall plants in may that grew to be enormous, and subsequently lost it all to budrot by mid september. Stupid PNW weather.. I dont grow much besides male pollen and breeders outdoors now for that reason.
Looks like thats what i'll do then. Just put it out side with a little fluorescent that kicks on sometime during the night. So it doesn't need to kick on as soon as it gets dark and stay on until the sunrises? As long as i just interrupt the darkness at some point it will work? Nice.

Caninobis

Caninobis

This isn’t an OD questions but while I’ve got some listeners. Anyone know what these little bugs are?

I find them underneath my pots and they seem to be resistant to both the neem oil I sprayed the room down with before introducing my plants and the DE I sprinkle on the floor. Which is crazy to me because DE is supposed to shred their outer shell and dry them out not poison them so how the heck are they resilient to it. Pictures are crap cause of the blurple but you can get a pretty good idea of what they look like.
(I know it’s unconventional to sprinkle DE on the floor of your grow but I did it last time and I never had a single creepy crawly crawling on or around my plant so I decided to keep doing it)

D4454112 981D 4353 9746 4D08F92BDCD6

C6DDA169 D634 4D17 A52B 1D5E3AD5161F

Madbud

Madbud

This isn’t an OD questions but while I’ve got some listeners. Anyone know what these little bugs are?

I find them underneath my pots and they seem to be resistant to both the neem oil I sprayed the room down with before introducing my plants and the DE I sprinkle on the floor. Which is crazy to me because DE is supposed to shred their outer shell and dry them out not poison them so how the heck are they resilient to it. Pictures are crap cause of the blurple but you can get a pretty good idea of what they look like.
(I know it’s unconventional to sprinkle DE on the floor of your grow but I did it last time and I never had a single creepy crawly crawling on or around my plant so I decided to keep doing it)

View attachment 947670
View attachment 947671
Click beetle

Caninobis

Caninobis

Anyone want to confirm that this is a male plant ?
I’m 99% sure that’s a male preflower seeing as the preflower on the plant showing pistils looks nothing like that but I’m new so before i pull it I’d like to be 100%

4D1F9C32 2DC5 4998 8F28 519CBEBB947D

Davil

Davil

Whats up ya'll,

I'm getting geared up for the OD season in California and i really want to try my hand at growing a monster. I've been doing my research, developing my skills growing indoors, i got my seeds with monster capabilities in the genetics, and i've got some plants started to give them a good head start when i put them in the ground.

What i want to know is how early can i put my plants in the ground without them starting to flower and then reverting back to veg?

I checked the weather and it looks like we will officially break 12 hours of sunlight this month and by March 30th we'll be getting 12.5 hours of sunlight then by April 30th we'll be at 13.

If i put my plants out on the 30th is that extra half hour of light enough to keep the my plants from flowering since 12 hours or less of continuous light is what triggers flowering?
I'm not too far from you and to grow your monsters your gonna have to start em indoor early and put them out soon as the frost chances are done.BUT...your going to need to put some sort of light out there to match your lighting times indoors,dig?otherwise they will switch and flower.its not difficult and you don't need 400 watt has out there.some shop lights or even strong incandescent will work if you hang them across your greenhouse,hoophouse,or yard.when the winter seasons over and spring is in full force drop the light hours an hour a week till you are on track.your monsters depend on the strain because you get rain pretty early up there.sometimes sept.oct,yeah?chances are you won't harvest till then at best so you want an early strain started at the end of harvest then grown through the winter indoor or hoop house till you've got 6 ft ladies to put out when frost stops.plant in your pre filled super soil bags of no less then 200 gallons.thin and supplement later in season
.if your reverse osmosis watch your cal mag.your gonna need it.feed it no nitrogen past late July except black strap molasses which will give minimum nitro plus other goodies and don't forget you phos,&potash.flush your last few weeks.cut,trim and cure proper.enjoy.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

This year and a few years back I started seeds in a greenhouse with no supplemental light in early to mid march, everyone told me they would flower early but they didn’t. My understanding is that its not just number the hours that trigger flowering, but the change in the number of hours. Since in spring the hours are still increasing, your young seed plant can recognize that and continue to veg, but if you start them inside under longer hours and put then outside in spring without supplemental light the sudden decrease triggers flowering.

SinCity

SinCity

Here are mine started 2 weeks ago outside now.
In monterey cali, I do have an area out back with a light on timer for those fogged out days and they wheel in and out of a covered porch

Monterey—one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Latest posts

Top Bottom