Calling all Scroggers - More plants less veg vs more veg fewer plants?

• Thread starter Jumpingspider
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

In a 4x4 tent, the main limitation is the horizontal space you have to work with. 1 plant, if trained well and vegged for long enough can easily fill the space and create a dense canopy full of equal sized buds.

Furthermore, 2 plants if trained properly, can also fill up the entire space.

My theory is that you can shorten veg time required to fill the space by increasing the number of plants. Veg for too long and you just end up overgrowing your space and that results in an uneven canopy that doesn't produce any more.

Under grow your space and you will see areas of canopy that are not occupied by buds, essentially wasted light footprint.

In a scrog Facebook group, one gentleman was saying that many OG (original gangsta) scroggers recommend less plants which, because of "being able to better tuck them" will give better results.

I just don't see how this is realistic. If I can veg 9 plants for 5 weeks (starting from rooted clones) and fill up a 4x4, that would take 4 plants 8 weeks to do the same, would I get the same results?

If so, then the 3 weeks savings can add up to 1 extra cycle per year which is like kinda a lot.

Do you think the scrogger who said to do less plants is right?

fishbuds

fishbuds

Watering, pruning, anything, is a bitch with scrog. Alot of plants under the screen means alot of extra work. 5 plants under the screen in a 4x4 tent is my ideal #.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Watering, pruning, anything, is a bitch with scrog. Alot of plants under the screen means alot of extra work. 5 plants under the screen in a 4x4 tent is my ideal #.
Because I'm OCD I would not want a fifth plant. 1 per quadrant. The 5th would get over crowded.

Watering wouldn't be any more difficult I have a wand.

Pruning would be pretty much done right before the net goes in and then maybe some defol day 21. I don't think it matters.

1 big plant is equally as challenging to prune and defoliate as 2 medium plants

Last edited:
Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

4x4... 9 plants short veg no scrog?
Scrog only because it would minimize the training required for training individual branches. I'm not sure it would even be that much more work 9 plants vs 4.

The goal is to minimize veg time. Flower exactly when maximum horizontal capacity (minus room for stretch tucking) is reached.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Scrog only because it would minimize the training required for training individual branches. I'm not sure it would even be that much more work 9 plants vs 4.

The goal is to minimize veg time. Flower exactly when maximum horizontal capacity (minus room for stretch tucking) is reached.
I mean you can do 16 plants veg 2 weeks tops... you won't need to train them just let em go. Look up sea of green.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Why do you need? Small plant are not as demanding
I know you're inclination is to go 1 gallon pots but I'm hard pressed to feed them more than once a day. I would want a drip system for anything below 3 gal (coco)

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

That's what I'm saying in 1 gal you prob only need once a day... they are small plants. And also no training
I did 1 gal pots on the autos I grew before this and the coco got so hydrophobic towards the end. I don't entirely trust it with non- play plants and only 1 watering per day. It seemed to slow things down.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I did 1 gal pots on the autos I grew before this and the coco got so hydrophobic towards the end. I don't entirely trust it with non- play plants and only 1 watering per day. It seemed to slow things down.
Yes but how long was your veg?... im talking 8-10" and flip

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh yeah my bad can't do that with autos... but yeah once you have a mom.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Hmm this could be harder in the summer time due to the heat. I'm not fully confident how effective my air con will be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom